Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 CGT $3800 brake job?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 AM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
05 CGT $3800 brake job?

i got a quote from bentley long island and they told me changing complete pads and rotors would be $3800..
is this what you all pay for the brakes??

Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Parts cost seems to be around $800 for both fronts discs and pads and $600 for both rear discs and pads... then you'll need to add labor/brake fluid. Parts prices are from www.flyingspares.com/shop/bentley-continental-gt-gtc-cgt-flying-spur-speed/gt-gtc-flying-spur-brake-pads-discs.html

You will need VAG COM to spread the rear calipers, everything else is very straightforward. Your local VW dealer may be able to do the brake service as the 'core' of the car is the VW Phaeton.

Since your car is a 2005, i'd suggest changing both front brake hoses part number 3W0611701A (two qty) and rear brake hoses (there are three diferent ones for that, see www.flyingspares.com/shop/bentley-continental-gt-gtc-cgt-flying-spur-speed/gt-gtc-flying-spur-brake-pads-discs/gt-gtc-flying-spur-rear-brake-pads-discs.html). You may want to e-mail Flying Spares to verify the qty/type of hoses for the rear of your car.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-11-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by djjoonie
i got a quote from bentley long island and they told me changing complete pads and rotors would be $3800..
is this what you all pay for the brakes??

I bought mine front pads $350, Rotors $400 each, 4 bolts $32.00.(these hold the caliper) This is the best price from Steve Foley Rolls & Bentley dealer had the shipped to my house. on ebay he sell front pads and rotors for $1,050. shipping about $90. Rotors are about 45lbs each.
The rear brakes are alot cheaper... the dealer will replace front and rears thats why its $3800, and parts are higher.. ie rotors are 480 ea list, pads $420 list..

I was told the bentley parts have a cost not a price. Different dealerships price parts at their own discretion. Their # is 847-546-4090

Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BentleyFs
I bought mine front pads $350, Rotors $400 each, 4 bolts $32.00.(these hold the caliper) This is the best price from Steve Foley Rolls & Bentley dealer had the shipped to my house. on ebay he sell front pads and rotors for $1,050. shipping about $90. Rotors are about 45lbs each.
The rear brakes are alot cheaper... the dealer will replace front and rears thats why its $3800, and parts are higher.. ie rotors are 480 ea list, pads $420 list..

I was told the bentley parts have a cost not a price. Different dealerships price parts at their own discretion. Their # is 847-546-4090
Do you have a VAG computer? How else did you get the pads out?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
Do you have a VAG computer? How else did you get the pads out?

Thats only needed for rear pads, but the shop i had do it have it.. in fact told me that audi a8 rear pads will work.. i will go with the bentley rotors and pads though...

Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Just in case... for those not familiar, VAG-COM is a program you can install on any modern Windows machine (XP, Vista and Windows 7).

www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

BTW, my Bentley dealer told me that VAG-COM does a bit more/other things that the Bentley factory computers can do. As always, if you are not willing to turn wrenches yourself you can get the parts and have a VW dealer or qualified technician do the labor/servicing. Brake servicing is very straightforward.

If this was a transmission, engine or other far more specific to Bentley/VW situation then that may be different of course.

Thats only needed for rear pads, but the shop i had do it have it.. in fact told me that audi a8 rear pads will work.. i will go with the bentley rotors and pads though...
Good choice as the A8 pads MIGHT have a different grip coefficient/spec than those used by Bentley. As you know, just because a brake pad will fit does not mean it uses the same compound and has the same specs.

FYI: When tracking the Ferrari i had the brakes re-engineered by the Brembo technician who designed the Brembo upgrade package (Eric at Girodisc) and to 'balance' the Front/Rear grip due to not using a brake bias adjustment setup i tried different pads with different compounds to find the right balance. After many laps and much data, we found a good balance and now others also follow lead as was the first to go the Brembo/Girodisc route. i enjoy being a technical/developement driver, yet if thing go wrong at the track... well... So when it comes to 'normal' street cars, unless you really know what you are doing then go with factory spec parts and a properly qualified technician. The factory took the time and engineering to 'get it right'.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-12-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Just in case... for those not familiar, VAG-COM is a program you can install on any modern Windows machine (XP, Vista and Windows 7).

www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

BTW, my Bentley dealer told me that VAG-COM does a bit more/other things that the Bentley factory computers can do. As always, if you are not willing to turn wrenches yourself you can get the parts and have a VW dealer or qualified technician do the labor/servicing. Brake servicing is very straightforward.

If this was a transmission, engine or other far more specific to Bentley/VW situation then that may be different of course.

Good choice as the A8 pads MIGHT have a different grip coefficient/spec than those used by Bentley. As you know, just because a brake pad will fit does not mean it uses the same compound and has the same specs.

FYI: When tracking the Ferrari i had the brakes re-engineered by the Brembo technician who designed the Brembo upgrade package (Eric at Girodisc) and to 'balance' the Front/Rear grip due to not using a brake bias adjustment setup i tried different pads with different compounds to find the right balance. After many laps and much data, we found a good balance and now others also follow lead as was the first to go the Brembo/Girodisc route. i enjoy being a technical/developement driver, yet if thing go wrong at the track... well... So when it comes to 'normal' street cars, unless you really know what you are doing then go with factory spec parts and a properly qualified technician. The factory took the time and engineering to 'get it right'.

Thats good Infomation... Thx for the insight on the brakes...

Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Thats good Information... Thx for the insight on the brakes...
Always glad to help.

Not at all trying to brag, as there is quite a bit of work getting things right with a braking system. It is one of those things that, if it fails, some very bad things can happen. Just to give you and others an idea, the attached PDF are some calculations we did on the Ferrari that was mainly used on track yet did see normal street use. So as you can see, there is a lot going on.

Note: More tweaks went into the braking system so the attached calculations were a basic known working after initial testing/development. So when it comes to the braking system for those unfamilair or unsure, WHEN IN DOUBT DON'T!!!!!!! The car is not truly important per se, yet the people within and around it are priceless.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake Calculations.pdf (762.6 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Not surprised...my audi rs6s was 3200...brakes can really end up costing an arm and a leg.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM
djjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nicedjjoonie is just really nice
Thank you all for kind reply!
I got a second quote from Paul Miller Bentley in NJ for $3300 for the pads and rotors and they have 10% off coupon on their website, so the total estimate came out to 2970+tax.
I called up bentley longisland since they are right by my house and asked them if they can match the price showing them the email from PaulMiller bentley and they are willing to do it with that price. i guess they were just trying get me b4.
So i just saved around $1k just by getting the second quote exchanging emails.
Thank you all!

Last edited by djjoonie; 05-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 PM
TopGunRCF is on a distinguished road
FYI- Thanks to your information, I just saved over 3K, needed front and rear disc's, pads, etc. for my Azure. FlyingSpares overnited to NYC!

Thanks Again!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
i haven't needed major parts yet, have you tried the Flying Spares links in my post? Seems they have saved TopGunRCF quite a bit of money.

Seems Flying Spares prices have changed since my posting. Now the front are $1100 for rotors and pads. Rear pads and rotors and $330. So all in all $1430 for complete front and rear setup in basic parts costs. Frankly, am a bit astonished at the front brake pad cost as all else seems in the ballpark, though the rear rotors are actually very inexpensive so call it a give and take situation. Servicing is very reasonable, ever take a Ferrari in for a major service (hint: it will not be $2500 for a 40k mile service... think a MULTIPLE of that).

My hope is that the modern Bentleys will not become like Ferrari cars nowadays where owners may be too cheap and therefore defer servicing (or do as little as possible) and hand off a badly maintained car to the next owner without disclosing the lack of care to keep the car in proper form. Smart automobile owners always take into account the TOTAL cost of ownership (TCO) and agree to it (per se) before purcahsing said vehicle. Am not referring to anyone here as the guys here seem really great, just that i have seen other marques where previous owners sell cars to 'newbies', then within a month or so the car burns to the ground (literally) due to neglected fuel or oil lines.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-24-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM
turbosonoma is on a distinguished road
how bout a nice lightly used set with 4000miles for $800, and do it yourself on a saturday afternoon. sounds like a lot more fun than spending $3800.