Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Fastest Flying Spur in the Quarter Mile?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Dox W12 is on a distinguished road
Fastest Flying Spur in the Quarter Mile?

I'm new to the forum but hardly new to Bentleys. I took my '06 Flying Spur to the track last Friday to see where it stood for the quarter mile. I was a somewhat disappointed that my best was 12.8, but it was a hot and humid day and I'm not sure I've optimized my launch.

I've searched for a couple of hours and haven't found a faster time for a Flying Spur in the quarter (fastest I've found was 13.1), and I'm wondering if anyone here is aware of a faster one, modded or not. I don't doubt that there is one ..... just haven't been able to find it to see what sort of time to shoot for.

video:

Last edited by Dox W12; 05-15-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Have not heard about a fast time and that looks like a good time considering the 1/4 mile speed is for such a big/heavy car. Am sure you saw some sub-10's with a Japanese car on nitrous.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Some of the guys in the club I race with had street cars at the track running 8's and 9's, and I've been in the high 10's with an SL600. I'm just looking for some fast Flying Spur times, and so far all I find is 13's. I'm sure someone has one of these running low 12's all motor.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Jackedwards is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dox W12
Some of the guys in the club I race with had street cars at the track running 8's and 9's, and I've been in the high 10's with an SL600. I'm just looking for some fast Flying Spur times, and so far all I find is 13's. I'm sure someone has one of these running low 12's all motor.
Yea, but where those guys getting a back massage when they were doing those 8's and 9's?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Nope. More like a vibrating chair in those beasts. But it's all among friends, and I have to respect what they've accomplished with street cars and (in some cases) limited budgets. I respect what they've built more than what I've bought.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Jackedwards is on a distinguished road
My brother has one of those 9 sec "street cars".. Just when it is on the street sure feel like it is going to blow up at any second.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jackedwards
Yea, but where those guys getting a back massage when they were doing those 8's and 9's?
Wonder if those 9 second cars are equally good as the Bentley in 8 inches of snow?

Sorry, could not resist the humor and yes fast 1/4 is fine, yet we are just having fun as we know the Bentley is not a 1/4 mile car. Have had fast cars and greatly hated them for true grand touring, while the Bentley is truly a 150mph all day long comfy ride across European country.

i do wonder how the Bentley would do from 40mph to 120mph as compared to the other cars if we only allow NA or turbo/blower (no nitrous).

Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
That's essentially a 40 roll street race, and although the Flying Spur pulls hard, those pesky high hp lighter RWD cars (I'm thinking F-bodies, 'stangs, modded Civics and Supras) will pull right away from the Spur under those conditions. Where the Flying Spur surprises though, is from a dig. People aren't thinking about it being AWD and are also amazed that something weighing nearly 3 tons will hook up and move so fast.

Of course, I didn't buy it for its speed alone. I have faster cars. It's the "iron fist in a silk glove" factor that appeals most to me.

I'm still anxious to hear of someone who's got one running in the 11's. The Flying Spur Speed does the quarter in 12.5, but there's a lot more to unlock under that bonnet without detracting from the luxury and driveability of the car. I'm not so much interested in race gas/slicks/gutted examples. At that point, it's no long a Flying Spur in my eyes.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Can't speak on quarter mile but i know that on top end its untouchable.... it will do 200mph with no mods, or special fuel..

By the way love the painted rims, thought about doing mine in gun metal color...

Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Thank you for the compliment. I have a friend in the wheel repair business. When I took my stock wheels to him and asked him to repair some curb rash, he said he had always wanted to paint these rims like this, but none of his Bentley customers would let him. Frankly, when I heard his description of what he wanted to do, I declined. But he persisted, and even made me this deal: If I didn't like the finished product, he would redo the wheels to stock and only charge me for the repair. Well, it's hard to beat that deal.

When I saw the finished wheels, I was amazed. They went from this (stock photo):

to this:

His price? $150 for all four! Makes you wonder why anyone would drop big dollars on custom wheels. I've owned RennTech chromes, CCW's, and a bunch of other wheels, and these get as many compliments as any of the others. The RennTechs were $10k for the set as I recall.

About 4 months after he did the work, I saw the new Series 51 wheels:

I'd say my friend's taste is spot on with Bentley, wouldn't you?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I drove a 12.9 in an 07 Spur with 3 other dudes in the car. The car had an Evomsit flash and was on stock wheels and tires in AZ elevation. It would obviously go faster with just 1 person in the car and better conditions.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Luis. Mine is stock except I had an RSC tuning reflash (that I'm very pleased with), and like you, I ran stock tires and pump gas. With some cooler temps, I'm hoping for better times even if I don't do further mods.

Do you recall if you launched from idle, or did you brake-torque? I launched a few times from idle (my SL600 actually does best with this technique), but my best times in the Bentley were when I conservatively preloaded the converter to about 3,000 rpm. I was not comfortable taking it anywhere near stall.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I brake tourq'ed it.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dox W12
Thank you for the compliment. I have a friend in the wheel repair business. When I took my stock wheels to him and asked him to repair some curb rash, he said he had always wanted to paint these rims like this, but none of his Bentley customers would let him. Frankly, when I heard his description of what he wanted to do, I declined. But he persisted, and even made me this deal: If I didn't like the finished product, he would redo the wheels to stock and only charge me for the repair. Well, it's hard to beat that deal.

When I saw the finished wheels, I was amazed. They went from this (stock photo):

to this:

His price? $150 for all four! Makes you wonder why anyone would drop big dollars on custom wheels. I've owned RennTech chromes, CCW's, and a bunch of other wheels, and these get as many compliments as any of the others. The RennTechs were $10k for the set as I recall.

About 4 months after he did the work, I saw the new Series 51 wheels:

I'd say my friend's taste is spot on with Bentley, wouldn't you?

Your rims are hotter than factory 51's, BTW the car pictured is the exact same as mines cypress green w 20's... do you have a number for your painter? Is it special paint because of heat?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I'll ask him about the paint when I see him and post to the thread. I don't have enough posts to PM you.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fastest Flying Spur in the Quarter Mile?