Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

is Audi A8 same as Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
ContinentalGT05 is on a distinguished road
is Audi A8 same as Continental GT

Is the Audi A8 drivetrain the same as the CGT except the turbo's ? Does this open up the ability for Audi techs to be able to service the CGT ? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I am not the expert but for some reason I want to say I doubt it, to your question.

There are some mechanics that can just plain work on cars. I was told by one of my locals that they are all nuts and bolts.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
The VW Phaeton appears to be the same engine at CGT, so it seems logical that Audi has one too. From a Audi A8 web site "Both short- and long-wheelbase versions were offered to American buyers, and the 450-horsepower, 6.0-liter W-12 engine was offered to a very few select customers." You would have to assume they as a group only use 1 W12 unit

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
My bad then I have not seen the A8 with a 12 cylinder engine.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a Audi A8 mechanic in Texas offering me service as he tells me the drive train is identical except the CGT added 2 turbos. Naturally I'm looking for further verification. I guess I could go look at an A8 for visual verification.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
From Wiki @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W12_engine

The Volkswagen Group W12 engine is used in some high-end luxury models:Would almost assume they also sourced the tranny from VW too (for proper spec/mating).

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
bentley is no longer a 12, its a v8TT

Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM
"if" drivetrain is identical, what does that mean exactly - engine, transmission I assume...what about suspension and so forth, is that generally included as drivetrain ?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Lennon31987
bentley is no longer a 12, its a v8TT
Bentley now offers the V8TT in addition to the W12...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
From Wiki @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W12_engine

The Volkswagen Group W12 engine is used in some high-end luxury models:Would almost assume they also sourced the tranny from VW too (for proper spec/mating).
Well it's about time you posted. How are we ever going to learn stuff if you fail to post? Seriously Steven I am sure you have a good knowledge but you also take the time and effort to research the issues that those of us who are lazy just don't or won't.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
HUMOR below...

Originally Posted by Dr.Disas
ter;3588198
Well it's about time you posted.
Who? Lil ol' me? Hey, try to MAKE BELIEVE that i have a real life outside these Inter-webs. Apologies for being a few ping cycles late.

How are we ever going to learn stuff if you fail to post?
Long ago there were these almost magical things. They were heavy, thick, generally organized and held an abundance of knowledge. We mechanics treated them as a Catholic does a Bible. They are called.... factory service books. These books held great knowledge and wisdoms. But then came along this evil, encompassing force. It grew and grew.... exponentially. This new force has almost killed books for those servicing automobiles...

Seriously Steven I am sure you have a good knowledge but you also take the time and effort to research the issues that those of us who are lazy just don't or won't.
Shhhh, don't tell anyone this but.... i have no life. My gal works as one of those amazingly beautiful young blonde dental assistants you guys ogle over. Since she is @ work, that leaves me with hours upon hours of, well, nothing to do. So.... here i am, your humble Jeeves.

Would you care for a spot of tea Dr. D?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 AM
PS: i remember seeing the GTI W12-650 mid-engine W12 bi-turbo on TV. Imagine if VW developed this car for proper handling dynamics...

Volkswagen unveiled the GTI W12-650 at the GTI Festival in Wörthersee, Austria, in May 2007. It was designed as a concept car and only one is known to exist. Unlike most concept cars it is mechanically functional to the extent that it can be driven...

The car features a 6.00L W12 bi-turbo engine from the Bentley Continental GT delivering 650 PS (478 kW; 641 hp), 720 N·m (531 lb·ft) of torque, 0-100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 3.7 seconds and a top speed of 202 mph (325 km/h). The W12 differs from the standard GTI in several ways. It is 70 mm (2.76 in) lower and 160 mm (6.30 in) wider, the rear seats have been removed to accommodate the mid-engine design, and the roof is made from carbon-fibre.

The W12-650 achieved a time of 1:29.6 on BBC Top Gear’s Power Lap feature. Jeremy Clarkson showed that the car had trouble cornering but was a blast in the straights.

Again, if only VW fully developed this design....

And here it is...

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I guess from my posting rate one might think I have no life or work either.

I like paper books and magazines and am barely computer literate.

I love that guy on Top Gear but don't get his show on our cable network.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
This is why Steven is so technical and informative. He has time to research while his hot blonde wife is at work. Nice!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
...He has time to research while his hot blonde wife is at work. Nice!
Well… someone has to keep me in the lifestyle i have grown accustom to.