Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Split Rim Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
Split Rim Leak

Hello

I took my CGT into Bentley Kent yesterday to have the rear quarter light window motor replaced after the cable broke. Whilst there I mentioned that my front passenger tyre was losing pressure at about 5psi to 8psi per week. Not a great problem as I get the foot pump out after a wash and check/set all the pressures for the week ahead.

The technician said he had used soapy water to check the wheel and valve and could find nothing. They agreed with me that the tyre looked absolutely fine. I drove back to my office only to find later in the afternoon that the tyre was completely flat! One problem fixed and another starts.

I inspected the tyre and it looks fine. I appreciate that there could still be a puncture but no visible clues. The space saver is now on and I am considering my options.

Replace the tyre (approx £260) and it may be the wheel.
Replace the wheel (approx £1400) and it may be the tyre.
Refurbish the wheel, Diamond Styling are about 1 hour away (approx £200).

I'm not keen on running around on the space saver for long. I may try and pump the tyre back up and try and find a paddling pool or something to see if I can spot any air coming out for a clue. Difficult to replicate the mass of the car acting on the tyre which may be necessary to force the air out.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 AM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
You need the wheel assembly in a tank of water and look for the bubbles. I had a similar problem on a motorcycle, it turned out to be corrosion on the alloy wheel where the tyre bead seals, causing a small leak. The tyre fitter cleaned the rim and put a black sealant specifically for this type of problem on the tyre bead, it never leaked again.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone, just a quick update.

I inflated the tyre again at home and late in the evening went into the garage when everything was quiet. I could hear the air leaking out and traced it to a tiny hole in the shoulder of the tyre. It would appear that a nail had punctured the tyre and had probably remained in the tyre for some time causing my tyre to deflate just a little each week. Then I think it finally departed its rubbery home and the tyre immediately went flat.

I've got a little family garage down the road who I went to and they ordered me in a new P Zero Rosso and fitted it with great care, hand torquing the wheel nuts up carefully. All done for £267. Hopefully this draws a line under this little problem.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
that would do it. hopefully that nailed it

Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Boom Boom.