Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Thoughts On My 2012 CGT After One Year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Thoughts On My 2012 CGT After One Year

I bought my 2012 Mulliner a year ago, so I thought I’d update my impressions on ownership thus far. I’ve also just come back after a drive, so these things are fresh in my mind.

In another post, after I'd had this one for a few weeks I wrote about the difference between this model and my old 2006. As you’d expect it was a no-contest. The new model is better in almost every way. Not to say I didn’t enjoy the old one - but as this new model become the benchmark, it is difficult to keep making comparisons.

So this is a fresh start. And my comments are not technical. The days are long gone when I’d lift the hood to do any kind of work on the engine or even fit a bulb. The only people I let touch it are experienced Bentley techs.

- Driveability: It’s a big and heavy car. Despite the improvements in balancing up the power between front and rear to 60:40, it is not a nimble turner. It feels heavier than several high-end sports cars I drove this year, including two Mercedes SLS’s and a couple of new Aston Martins. But what it gives instead is the feeling of incredible stability. You feel centered at any speed, on any corner. I drive my lighter SL500 quite vigorously, and I can keep up the same speeds with the Bentley without it feeling unbalanced or strained at all.

- Ride: I love that the 21” Mulliner spec wheels make no difference to the ride despite their size. There are some hard bumps from a deep lipped pot hole, but the rest of the time that suspension just glides you over most surfaces. At highway speeds it is like a magic carpet. I use the comfortable setting, and the ride is the best part!

- Inside: I don't think I’ve seen a better interior in any car. Mine is beluga (very dark grey) with white contrast stitching and seat logos, and diamond quilt seats. Those extras make a very nice touch, brightening up the interior and giving it some form and definition. The seating is not luxurious, but firm in keeping with its sporting pedigree. But there’s no question that I could sit there for a couple of hours without discomfort.

- Outside: I remember seeing another CGT cruising down the road a while back and thinking, wow, that has great road presence. When you get further away from this model, and then watch it move, it puts a totally new perspective on how it looks on the road. A little while back I wasn’t driving it that much, and finally figured out why. I was only seeing it from one viewpoint as I entered and exited the garage with one of my other cars. So I took it out regularly on a Bentley Appreciation Day each week, and made a point to get out and look at it from different angles. Parked on the street among other cars makes the difference in design that much greater. It’s a stunning looking car.

- Noise: It’s a quiet car. I keep those double glazed windows up all the time, so I don't hear the exhaust much until I press the accelerator... when it gives a nice thundery sound. At cruise I can hear the clock tick over on the hour, it’s that quiet. Not much wind noise either.

I’m struggling to find something wrong with it but I have to say there’s not much negative I can talk about. I don’t like the open cupholder since I never drink while driving, but my Bvlgari glasses case fits quite nicely in that slot, and maybe one day I’ll buy the custom case for that space.

The main point is that inside it you feel very special, cocooned in a cabin of such quality that every drive is fulfilling. And outside you get a lot of admiring glances, since it is one of the more distinctive designs which sets it apart in a sea of Japanese sedans.

I’m looking forward to the next year of ownership even more.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 PM
chinaleeexports will become famous soon enoughchinaleeexports will become famous soon enough
A great perspective. Thanks for the write up.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up, thanks!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
how about compare with your ex-ride 06 Bentley Continental GT?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Excellent write-up Ken. It makes me want to get the new model!

Originally Posted by ccwboy
how about compare with your ex-ride 06 Bentley Continental GT?
Here is the link of Ken's comparison: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nership-2.html

Old 12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lilo1980
Excellent write-up Ken. It makes me want to get the new model!

Here is the link of Ken's comparison: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nership-2.html
Thanks for looking up that reference. I notice my views haven't changed that much after a year.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kensilver

The main point is that inside it you feel very special, cocooned in a cabin of such quality that every drive is fulfilling. And outside you get a lot of admiring glances, since it is one of the more distinctive designs which sets it apart in a sea of Japanese sedans.
The whole write up was great but the punchline is epic. Kudos mate.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kensilver
Thanks for looking up that reference. I notice my views haven't changed that much after a year.
Hi Ken,

I remember you said that the new model is quieter than the old model, how large is the difference?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by lilo1980
Hi Ken,

I remember you said that the new model is quieter than the old model, how large is the difference?
Massive, to me. My 2006 had a loud exhaust drone that was nice for the first 10 minutes, then got annoying. It wasn't as nice as an Aston Martin's voice, so that made it less tolerable.

The 2012 has changed a lot... quieter, no drone... but still loud enough to know that you're driving a sports car rather than a limo. The noise reduction was the first thing I noticed because unlike many other drivers I don't have radio/tv/dvd on in my cars when I'm driving, so all the exterior noises are real important.

I haven't used a DB meter so I don't know whether it's my hearing sensitivity or not, but my impression is a lot of the unpleasant noise has vanished.