Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Parking Brake Seized On

Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
Parking Brake Seized On

Hello

I have a bit of an urgent problem which I hope I can get some advice on please.

My Continental GT displayed an orange Parking Brake warning light yesterday (P with a diagonal line through it). Everything worked OK and I continued home. I never apply the brake at home so I left for work this morning pondering what the warning might mean. When I arrived at my office I have to park on a slope so I applied the brake as normal, without thinking, and the red light on the lever started flashing. I released the brake only to find...it didn't!

So the car is marooned in the office car park. Could it be that the damp, muddy, UK roads may have caused the mechanism to get filthy dirty and seize the brakes? I'm not sure but if there is any way I could free them off to get home I would be very grateful to know how.

Many thanks.

Chris

Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, I'd call someone with Vag-Com or the dealer. Those are electronically actuated and need Vag-Com or factory computer to move. In the 06 I had a rear right fail and have heard other who have had the same problem, but never locked ON, just the usual yellow crossed out P error on the dash.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
Hello Steven

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I spoke to both Bentley Leicester and Bentley Kent. What a difference!

I will not comment other than to say I have arranged for the car to go to Leicester to replace the troublesome actuator. I thought that I would have to arrange for a recovery truck but after trying many times, and with some good fortune, the actuator decided to release the brake and so I'm mobile again.

Bentley Leicester are £85/hour for older vehicles, 1/2 hour to replace. Bentley Kent £145/hour, 2 hours to replace. Enough said. Parts replaced under warranty (approximately £250 each including VAT).

Thanks

Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
That is great news it released. Yes, it is a very easy (and common it seems) fix. Watched my local Bentley dealer do it in about an hour. Just a few bolts and wire/connector, then use the Bentley computer to work the system to 'reprogram' it. Please let me know if it is the rear right, as so far two others had the same side go bad.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I've had the same with my 08 Speed. Orange light came on but brake seemed to work fine until one morning the handbrake would not release. I played about applying and releasing over an over again and it did free off, however the orange light still remained on. I took car to Bentley Glasgow who replaced the sensor and a motor assembly. Was done under extended warranty. IIRC the bill for the warranty company came to a few hundred pounds or so.....a real surprise tbh