Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT V8 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley Continental GT V8 S

BENTLEY INCREASES POWER AT DETROIT 2014

• Global 19% sales increase makes 2013 a record year
  • Americas remains number one market
  • North American debut of Continental GT V8 S
  • Enhanced specification flagship Mulsanne and world’s fastest four-door sedan, Flying Spur complete NAIAS line up
(Crewe/Detroit 09 January 2014) Bentley introduces sharper V8 power to the world’s most stylish, luxury grand tourer, as it unveils the Continental GT V8 S in North America for the first time. Alongside this debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), is the world’s fastest four-door luxury saloon, the Flying Spur, and the pinnacle of the Bentley range, the Mulsanne.

2013 was Bentley’s record year. Global deliveries increased by 19%, to 10,120 cars, achieving double-digit growth for the fourth consecutive year. The Americas reinforced its position as the number one market, with deliveries increasing by 28% to 3,140 cars.

Dr.Wolfgang Schreiber, Chairman and Chief Executive, comments:

“The GT V8 S is a car for our V8 customers who want more. It is more agile, with a lower and uprated suspension, faster, with more power and more distinctive with its signature S styling and a unique V8 S soundtrack.
“I am delighted to bring this car to our biggest market for the first time, in this sustained period of growth for the Americas. This region’s strong performance played an important role in making 2013 a record year. With its latest results, Bentley is the world’s most sought after luxury car brand.”

More power and more performance
Available as both a coupe and convertible, the new GT V8 S models bring added excitement to the Continental range.

The new V8 S models provide an even more engaging driving experience from Bentley’s already renowned 4-litre twin-turbo V8 powertrain. The engine develops 521 bhp (528 PS / 389 KW) at 6,000 rev/min and a peak torque of 680 Nm (502 lb.ft) at a mere 1,700 rev/min.

Delivered via a close-ratio ZF 8-speed automatic transmission, the increased V8 power provides effortless, exhilarating high performance with breath-taking acceleration and imperceptibly smooth power delivery. Switch into S mode via the gear selector and the V8 S rewards the spirited driver with a sharpened throttle response while gears are held for longer with faster shifts.

The GT V8 S coupe dispatches the 0-60 mph sprint in just 4.3 seconds (0-100 km/h in 4.5s) onto a top speed of 192 mph (309 km/h). This increased performance is achieved without detriment to the V8 engine’s class-leading fuel economy and CO2 emissions, or its ability to cover more than 500 miles (805 km) between fill-ups.

The Continental range now consists of four distinct models. The V8 S complements the GT V8, giving customers a choice of different V8 models for the first time. The W12, with its iconic engine, is the signature car of the Continental range. And the fastest luxury GT in the world, the 205 mph Continental GT Speed, forms the pinnacle of the model line.

Bentley’s all-new luxury performance sedan
With its unrivalled blend of effortless driveability, exquisite luxury and craftsmanship, sculpted design and state-of-the-art technology, the new Flying Spur continues its successful market introduction as it joins the Continental GT V8 S at Detroit.

Behind the athletic exterior design and immaculate interior application of luxurious leather and wood lie a host of advanced acoustic and electronic technologies. A bespoke hand-held Touch Screen Remote allows rear-cabin occupants to control an extensive range of features from the comfort of their seat. With an optional Rear Seat Entertainment suite including two 10” LCD screens, DVD players, wireless headphones and an on-board hard-drive jukebox, plus the options of full Wi-Fi connectivity and an 1100W Naim for Bentley premium sound system, the new Flying Spur is the perfect place for work or relaxation on the move.

Powered by Bentley’s renowned 6.0-litre, twin turbo W12 engine, the new Flying Spur features more power than any other Bentley four-door in history with 625 PS (616 bhp) and 800 Nm of torque. A 14% improvement in the power-to-weight ratio over the previous generation Flying Spur ensures a remarkable 0-60 mph time of 4.3 seconds and a top-speed of 200 mph (322 km/h).

A pinnacle specification for the Bentley flagship
Completing the stand line-up is the Bentley Mulsanne, presented with the very latest specifications. A range of new luxury features has been added to the Bentley flagship, offering a new suite of entertainment and communication system options. The Comfort Specification, including cossetting headrests, comfortable footrests and soft duck down filled loose cushions has been introduced to reaffirm the Mulsanne’s reputation as a truly bespoke grand tourer.

Meanwhile, the Entertainment Specification incorporates the latest in-car technologies to transform the rear cabin in to a luxurious office or cinema, complete with picnic tables designed for an iPad and wireless keyboard, and an on-board Wi-Fi router. The Entertainment Specification is further enhanced with twin, eight inch LCD headrest screens, incorporating a 20 GB hard drive and DVD player, played through a ‘Naim for Bentley’ premium audio system, while two sets of Bluetooth headphones and a dedicated remote control allows comfortable enjoyment of the system.

Other additions include three new paint options, extending the Mulsanne palette, and new bespoke fitted luggage.

Full press release at www.bentleymedia.com/release-510.htm

Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
When I first caught wind of the V8-S I was surprised that it only increased the engine output by 21 HP. For the projected price I could take the std V8, reprogram the ECU (once available) and modify the suspension for probably less or equal to the price difference and end up with much more horsepower. My wife's Cayenne GTS had 420hp compared to 300hp for the standard....40% increase in power versus 4.2% for the V8-S. Perhaps a better move would be to boost the number up to 580+, drop the standard W-12 and offer the Speed model with 650 or so HP (W-12). I, however, am no marketing expert but just an interested customer. That opinion, and $1 ought to get you a cup of cofee.

Robin

Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robinardoin
When I first caught wind of the V8-S I was surprised that it only increased the engine output by 21 HP. For the projected price I could take the std V8, reprogram the ECU (once available) and modify the suspension for probably less or equal to the price difference and end up with much more horsepower. My wife's Cayenne GTS had 420hp compared to 300hp for the standard....40% increase in power versus 4.2% for the V8-S. Perhaps a better move would be to boost the number up to 580+, drop the standard W-12 and offer the Speed model with 650 or so HP (W-12). I, however, am no marketing expert but just an interested customer. That opinion, and $1 ought to get you a cup of cofee.

Robin
I agree BUT what about issues of warranty and resale potential? Some people just have to have the whole "S" package for mental satisfaction.

My big question is how can they get that much power from the 4 liter V8 and so little from the W12 that is 50% larger? If all the hype is true then the new V8 feels, sounds and drives just as good as the old 12 cylinder? Oh I'm sorry it sounds and drives better.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 01-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Oh...they can get much more power from the 12....but you know that. Hell....Renault was getting 1000+hp from a 1.8L engine in the glory days of F1...albeit for 300 miles or so. In my opinion (see above post for disclaimer concerning my opinion in this matter) the V8 is a cross platform engine with better economy (GREeeener...cough...cough) than the W-12 and will better confirm to politically motivated rules requiring higher emission standards. I, personally, could give a rat's **** about the emissions/mpg but the improved economy is nice for my wife because she hates to pump fuel so it is less stops at the pump (for me as I have a Sunday ritual where I wash her car and fuel it up for the week, insert a$$ kissing emoticon here).

Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
So is the W12 dumbed down or is the V8 high strung? The performance #s are way to close for the large difference in displacement.

So what's next a V6 with 490hp getting 40mpg?:roll eyes: As for green when will we be called to give up leather and have the new faux stuff? What's it called Alcantara? Forget about real wood!

I have to admit more range is ok.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 AM
"So is the W12 dumbed down or is the V8 high strung? The performance #s are way to close for the large difference in displacement."

I think it's a little of both.

"So what's next a V6 with 490hp getting 40mpg?:roll eyes: As for green when will we be called to give up leather and have the new faux stuff? What's it called Alcantara? Forget about real wood!"

I heard about a really green vehicle coming in 2015 from Amish Motors! It may be delayed a little pending studies on the effects of methane emissions on the spotted owl breeding habits.

Driving a high performance or super luxury car is not about "going green" to me. I live in the middle of oil country and our economy is driven by punching deep holes in the ground......I don't mind $5/gal fuel.

When I was shopping for a Cayenne last year I saw a Diesel and a Hybrid model......WTF. But then....when the Cayenne came out I had the same emotion...go figure