Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Great touring roads in the lower Appalachians

Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Great touring roads in the lower Appalachians

I am considering a touring vacation this summer in the lower Appalachians. I have been on the byways from ATL to Highlands, NC, and up to Gatlinburg and east to Ashville over the years past but never in a GT and never with the aim of a wonderful driving experience. I figure the Tail of the Dragon is a must but I would like some advice on other roads in the area and a few great dining/hotel/spa recommendations. I figure Mel should have the low down, at least.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Just a quick opening not on this thread since i am only at the computer for a few short minutes. Due to my motorcycling hobbies I have been on most every paved road that is numbered on the map in the four state area of the southern appalachians. I'll be back to write more on Monday but Robin you will have to be more specific about what type of a route or experience you are looking for.

I will probably start by listing the top ten or so roads in the area and what makes them so special. Don't forget the road that comes up by my house.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Mel, I am thinking of driving up from La through ATL and up around Tallulah Gorge on to Highlands, NC. I might stop near Atlanta overnight to make it a full day between there and Highlands. I would like a day or two in the area and then on to drive US 129 (Tail of the Dragon) up into TN. I would like to spend a couple of days in Eastern TN then work my way back home. I would give myself about 7-8 days for the trip. Any must see attractions and/or scenic driving routes in the area? I was also thinking about looping north and back SE through Maryville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and cross through GSMNP to Cherokee. If you or anyone would like to chime in on "must sees", great restaurants, lodging please do so.

Robin

Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
We love the road thru Highlands but we of course come from the other direction. If you are head to the "dragon" aka US 129 you will take us 64 to Franklin and then SR 28 to Deals Gap, which is the head of the dragon. Take note you will pass Hyw 143 in NC /165 in TN and that is the Cherahala Skyway. That is the number ONE road in the whole so. appalachia. It has it all, big sweepers, great tarmac, scenic vistas and low traffic. The famous Tail of the Dragon is more closed in and full of turns and traffic to match but does not offer much to see but it is nearly obligatory. I like SR 28 overall as a better touring road.

There are only a few ways over the mountains and we many times make a loop doing both roads to make the trip. If you have the full day to drive out of Highlands I would suggest going up and over on the 143 and back up the 129 which gives you the balance of the untraveled SR28 then on US 74 to the night in Cherokee. Next day you could go south on the 441 to Gatlinburg then 321 to Newport.

Roads to drive and the list is massive but here they are in some order of significance or priority.

1. Cherahala Skyway 143NC/165TN Best of the best for everything except shopping. There are almost no stores on this road. Have gas to get to Tellico. big sweepers, higher speeds, great views, good tarmac, cooler sumner temperatures due to large elevation changes, good turn outs for stunning pictures.

2. US 421 from Bristol TN to US 321 just west of Boone NC. low traffic, great curves of varying radii, good elevation changes, lake views, open areas, nice little store in Shady Valley for souvenirs, the route is famously named The Snake. We like it much better that the dragon At 321 turn west to TN and a nice place to eat on the left called Shirley's or eat to Boone.

3. Hyw 28 NC great road quality and scenery, it goes where you are headed,lol, good lake and riverside views.

4.Blue Ridge Parkway, section from US 74 to Interstate 26 is as good as it gets for the BRP. Any more driving is just more of the same. It is a ridge top road with great views and n to commercial traffic. It is SLOW posted speed and patrolled well. You ain't really going anywhere. If you want off SR 215 and US 276 cross it and are great roads in and of themselves. I drive both of them over and back never getting on the slower parkway. The curves of the BRP are very similar. You could put your cruise on and never touch the brake,ever if you were on the road alone. can be boring after awhile. No shopping or commercial interest, with no gas or eating. Trees and mountains and mountains and trees.

5. US 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, another nice curvy hilly road with lovely stream and rocks but can have a lot of traffic on it and slow. Goes over Clingmans dome and all that crap. One of only a few roads over the mountains. I do like this road and it connects two major towns.

6. SR 63 north(off US 23) out of Asheville thru Leicester over the hills to intersect SR 209. Wonderful road curves, some very steep and sharp but thru the real mountains. Not a well known drive so mostly locals. A favorite of ours. Goes thru Hot Springs NC that is famous for the springs and has a lodge there. Never overnighted there as it's to close to our home. Cool little town. Consider taking US 70 east to SR 208 to SR 212 into TN where it becomes 352 onto Erwin.

7. In Erwin pick up 107 to SR 173 to SR19E This 19e north will intersect with 321in Hampton that will take you towards Boone and the Snake (US421)

8. River Road 73 connects the ranger station just south of Gatlinburg to Townsend. Winding river side road with many pull outs and pick nick spots.

9. Another section or the BRP north of Asheville if you find you are there consider lodging at Little Switzerland, close to Spruce Pine NC, make reservations.

I can't think of any great dining to recommend but there area few types of restaurants that are "home cooking style" mountain foods.

Shirley's on 321 between Hampton and Boone
Carver's Apple house on 321 between Galinburg and Newport.
******* Barrel chain restaurants, all over the place.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 03-18-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Wow...most helpful Mel! Thanks a bunch. Once we commit to travel dates for the summer I'll get with you and maybe we can meet for a day ride.

Thanks again, Robin

Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by robinardoin
Wow...most helpful Mel! Thanks a bunch. Once we commit to travel dates for the summer I'll get with you and maybe we can meet for a day ride.

Thanks again, Robin
Sounds great. I would be a bit insulted if I found out you ant right by and high hatted me.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Now that aaant ratt. I aint gone dun nuthin like dat to ya Mel!