Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Maxed Out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Maxed Out?

Looking into tires again has me thinking about the speed rating for our tires and wondering do we really need them? I know we need tires for a heavy car but why pay so much for the speed tires?

So the question for this thread is, how fast have you actually driven your Bentley?

I have done 165mph one time and been to 155 a few. 120mph all the time.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are only rated to 186 and that concerned me at first but after a minute I questioned if I will ever be going that fast? Takes special conditions to safely go above 160mph. Why do any of us need 200mph tires?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
No takers on the post???

I am not trying to one up anybody and there is no shame it admitting you obey the speed laws. This is more about tires and the real need to have such low milage, expensive and season limiting rubbers on the car. The rest of the question is why anyone needs a 200mph daily driver since most of us rarely use even 50% of the car.

Braggin rights to have a car that "supposedly" goes this fast and then most never get half way? I think the Bentley Continental is quite a mixed up car. Come on guys what bait must I dangle to get the party started.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
I am of the opinion that it is a waste of $$$ to get (99Y) rated tires if I am not going to run my car over 186 MPH. In reality I may never get the car over 168 (W rating). The fastest I recall driving has been in the 155 MPH range and that was for a short burst. I don't plan on tracking this car either. For me, using a tire beyond W rating is frivolous.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^

Sorry DrD, baiting is not working :->

Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Hey I got two replies. I am evolving to think the same way. The next question is do I need the grip for a sporting ride in the mountains?

All could be solved if i just drove a little more conservatively.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I would check what your insurance company thinks.
i.e; would they pay out if you had an accident or use the excuse that you didn't have the correct tyres fitted, regardless of the speed involved?
I do agree with your take on this topic though.

Les.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ExSF
I would check what your insurance company thinks.
i.e; would they pay out if you had an accident or use the excuse that you didn't have the correct tyres fitted, regardless of the speed involved?
I do agree with your take on this topic though.

Les.
I can just see me trying to make a claim admitting to an off road event because i was doing 175mph. That is if i was alive to file the papers. I will only use tires that are proven to be adequate for the car and conditions.