Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Road trip to Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Road trip to Germany

Hi all, I'm planning a road trip to Germany this November but their tyre laws require me to have winter tyres fitted. Any advice on the best tyres to fit. I've the 20inch rims. Thanks Frank

Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Note sure the exact size fit for 20", yet have used the Blizzak LM60 on the 19". Here's a link to the 20" that also meets weight spec of these heavy cars. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....60XL&tab=Specs

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-28-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Note surethe exact size fit for 20", yet have used the Blizzak LM60 on the 19". Here's a link to the 20" that also meets weight spec of these heavy cars. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....60XL&tab=Specs

Thanks I will have a look at them.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 AM
zawoor is on a distinguished road
Hey, I drove to Hannover and Poland from UK every December and January every year since 2007. I was worried about this too, however if you read the requirement Rule is not very strict, Check out this website: http://www.tuv-nord.com/en/winter-ti...yres-81472.htm

Basiclly it means if there is a ice or snow you have to have it. When unfortunatly you are involved in a accident and it was snowing and you not have tyres with proper marks it is likly that your insuer will have some questions. I always used autobahns which was always perfect and never needed to change tyres in december and january. Also I have calculated it and it was cheeper to get fine 40 euro then spend £1200 on tyres, that i will use once a year. Take into account that it snow usually end of jan february so Novemer will be fine

I hope this helps

Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by zawoor
Hey, I drove to Hannover and Poland from UK every December and January every year since 2007. I was worried about this too, however if you read the requirement Rule is not very strict, Check out this website: http://www.tuv-nord.com/en/winter-ti...yres-81472.htm

Basiclly it means if there is a ice or snow you have to have it. When unfortunatly you are involved in a accident and it was snowing and you not have tyres with proper marks it is likly that your insuer will have some questions. I always used autobahns which was always perfect and never needed to change tyres in december and january. Also I have calculated it and it was cheeper to get fine 40 euro then spend £1200 on tyres, that i will use once a year. Take into account that it snow usually end of jan february so Novemer will be fine

I hope this helps
Thanks, that does help. So I don't necessarily have to have winter tyres fitted.......uhm......as I spend most of my time driving the GT in the Scottish winter I wonder weather its worth just biting the bullet and just keeping winter tyres fitted all the time.

I wonder how badly winter tyres wear if drive in warm weather?

Frank

Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 AM
zawoor is on a distinguished road
I bought a car once, with winter tyres fitted. In the winther -5c to -20c everything was fine, car drives ok. In the Summer however tyre squeal on every curve. It sounded like I was on TopGear track. Overall 6mm of thread lasted 6k miles. This might not be a case here since bentley is 4x4. Also have a look at cheep winter tyres, as they tend to loose elasticity quite quickly. You might find your set will be hard as summer ones after just two seasons.

Thanks