Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Exhaust Valve Bypass Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM
kevindhamilton is on a distinguished road
Glad I asked as I had been leaning toward the super! I don't mind being a bit obnoxious but can't imagine my neighbors will be thrilled if I fire the car up in the enclosed parking garage with the supersport fitted! Setting car alarms off all the time could get old.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kevindhamilton
Glad I asked as I had been leaning toward the super! I don't mind being a bit obnoxious but can't imagine my neighbors will be thrilled if I fire the car up in the enclosed parking garage with the supersport fitted! Setting car alarms off all the time could get old.
Agreed, I do think twice about starting mine very late at night, but that's the nature of a tuned performance exhaust I suppose. I also wonder if a super sports system might just be OTT on the road. I ease off the throttle now when I see a Rozzer ( Police) as I don't want to make my self too conspicuous. But its changed my enjoyment of the car, the fact its a Bentley to me doesn't mean it should ott quiet and refined, I leave that to Rollers, I like to hear a car and I bet the original Bentleys of the 20/30's weren't quiet either .

Old 09-14-2015, 04:23 PM
spsinha is on a distinguished road
Sunnyside, do you have a video? Any mods to the center pipes/resonators/secondary cats?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 PM
cutty71 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BMT216A
Once finished you have officially "worked" on your Bentley.
Nice to see enthusiasts here who aren't afraid to work on their cars!!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:18 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
Just did mine. Took about 3 mins total. With my new Xpipe im so Happy :-) :-)

Cliff

Last edited by cdavis43; 10-05-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 AM
BMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cutty71
Nice to see enthusiasts here who aren't afraid to work on their cars!!!!
I didn't say I wasn't afraid. 😜

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Mission Accomplished!

Thanks for the info guys, its only taken me almost 2 years to get around to doing it!

Sounds great though well worth the 10 mins taken to complete and 90 minutes to "road test"

Old 01-08-2017, 09:37 AM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
My 2016 W12

I did the mod but I got to much droning on the freeway. Guess only option is to get an exhaust? Or do the drone as well?

Cliff

Old 11-02-2018, 02:04 PM
AngryBaldMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this effect the engine running? Isn't there something about the valves being there to facilitate burning and running rich without them?

Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
They aid in catalytic converter warm up at cold start, open loop.
So best to leave them alone? Do they default to open in either of the 'S' positions on the gearshift?

Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
There are probably many opinions on this one. The w12 GT's aren't the only cars with this setup. People bypass them with success. Being conservative, might not want to do it? Catalytic converters are difficult and expensive to change on our cars
My Ducati has one as standard but it's deleted with the Acrapovic Exhaust. However, the cats are also deleted.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:39 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
That valve looks identical to the ones on Ferrari 360 ,s .
You just pull the pipe off and put a self tapper in it .
No detrimental effects , no ECU, s having fits ,no spurious CEL ,s .

Not sure which is worse B or F cars for hissy fits regarding throwing CEL.s - fuel or seated fuel caps , or just a strange way you looked at it

It only the OEM system and very few aftermarket that use the vac valve .
Same as B , sport mode and over a certain rpm , I think 4500 it opens .
Sort of neighbourliness thing really to pass a notional noise test .
How ever @ cold start as said above you get tick over at 12-1500 rpm for say 30 secs to 1-1/2 minutes , with what sounds like it’s open .So I conclude that’s all it takes to warm the cats less than 2 mins - on a Ferrari .

Thought about it my self ( had a race exhaust on the 360 ) .TBO like the sound with stock esp as designed circa 2000 rpm on the motorways , the serenity, lux barge experience.

I might do it ,with a view to reverse it if it drones on the motorway.
Thing is makes a mockery of the recent thread on Naim ice upgrades .

hmm , Ferrari,s the other way the stereo is ornamental ,as is sensible conversation

I would say get your sound fix / kick from something else - Duc or Fezza / Lambo , pork GT3 etc

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 11-03-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:04 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
No worries disconnecting the vac tubes at the exhaust, no negative impact on cats warmup, ECU, CELs, etc, etc.

The valves stay closed under vacuum (which is idle to mid range RPM where much to some vacuum is present) then open at WOT or high RPM. They open to offer a little bit more exhaust flow in PE.

Exhaust sounds a little louder at idle through the entire RPM range disconnected. Performance will be slightly better. Exhaust sound is a personal preference. What one person thinks is loud or droney another person thinks is too quiet. Strictly personal.

On C6 Corvettes, where I first experienced these, they were a Factory option (called NPP exhaust). It was sold as a modest performance upgrade. Some cars (same engine) had a single functional exhaust tip each side, others had a dual exhaust each side, one of which opened under the absence of vacuum which was mid to high RPM or WOT. The NPP cars were specced at 436hp; the non-NPP cars at 430HP. So a 6 HP gain from the small extra exhaust gain at peak performance.

Disconnect and block the vacuum tubes at the rear exhaust valves, as shown here, and enjoy. Mine are disconnected, and on the Vette too.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
That valve looks identical to the ones on Ferrari 360 ,s .
You just pull the pipe off and put a self tapper in it .
No detrimental effects , no ECU, s having fits ,no spurious CEL ,s .

Not sure which is worse B or F cars for hissy fits regarding throwing CEL.s - fuel or seated fuel caps , or just a strange way you looked at it

It only the OEM system and very few aftermarket that use the vac valve .
Same as B , sport mode and over a certain rpm , I think 4500 it opens .
Sort of neighbourliness thing really to pass a notional noise test .
How ever @ cold start as said above you get tick over at 12-1500 rpm for say 30 secs to 1-1/2 minutes , with what sounds like it’s open .So I conclude that’s all it takes to warm the cats less than 2 mins - on a Ferrari .

Thought about it my self ( had a race exhaust on the 360 ) .TBO like the sound with stock esp as designed circa 2000 rpm on the motorways , the serenity, lux barge experience.

I might do it ,with a view to reverse it if it drones on the motorway.
Thing is makes a mockery of the recent thread on Naim ice upgrades .

hmm , Ferrari,s the other way the stereo is ornamental ,as is sensible conversation

I would say get your sound fix / kick from something else - Duc or Fezza / Lambo , pork GT3 etc
Yes my Panigale is insane wth the Acrapovic system.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 AM
I've been looking at what would be needed to create a button for the driver to override the exhaust valves. It looks fairly easy, a three port valve and a radio controlled relay on 433mhz . The valve would be installed to make the vacuum line look at either the valves or a dead end. The valves would look at either the vacuum line or fresh air. The 3port valve would be controlled by a 12dc radio relay. The keyfob for this would be learned to one of the three garage buttons on the roof.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Valve Bypass Mod