Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Jerky shifts/transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:00 PM
lefizzet is on a distinguished road
Jerky shifts/transmission

Hey all, I picked up a 2005 continental gt last October and have put around 3000 miles on her this year. Car has around 33,xxx miles now. I noticed that when shifting from 1-2-3 and back down from 3-2-1 to a stop it can get really jerky or rough sometimes. I didn't think much of it since I just attributed the problem to the car being almost 10 years old now.

But, after doing some research on a 2012 bmw 750 a lot of owners are having this same problem with the rough shifting and it caught my attention since both cars use the ZF 6HP26 transmission. I found one thread on here mentioning that you can bring the car into the dealer and they can reset the transmission setting to 0 using vagcom? But didn't really find anything other than that. Anyone else have this problem? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I have not had those issues on the 07. Sorry hope you get it taken car of.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
you need to get the adaptive values reset and then go through a drive cycle, sometimes if you do the drive cycle without resetting it works. there is a special procedure for the drive cycle. have you got the disc with all the workshop manuals on ?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bentleytech
you need to get the adaptive values reset and then go through a drive cycle, sometimes if you do the drive cycle without resetting it works. there is a special procedure for the drive cycle. have you got the disc with all the workshop manuals on ?

Is that the IETIS discs you mean or are there workshop manual discs available ?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
the ietis discs are the workshop manuals nowadays.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bentleytech
the ietis discs are the workshop manuals nowadays.
Thanks BT I thought so. I have the IETIS system, I just find it a little clunky to work through.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
MisterBojangles is on a distinguished road
Lately I've been having gear get stuck in 2nd and doesn't go higher or lower. I have to manually upshift.

any ideas whats up?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was with your transmission? also got a 2005 with 37k miles and it rough shifts from 3rd to 2nd. Its pretty bad and the weird thing it seems as if it only does it with that gear.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
My '06 GT shifts from first to second about one second after starting off with a minor jerk. It seems to do it only when car has been sitting for a while and after a few miles it smooths out. Anyone else have this shift pattern?
UPDATE/EDIT: With transmission in "S" mode no jerking at all. Anyone familiar with transmission "recycling" which may be a solution?

Last edited by cl600bill; 05-07-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Updating info
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cl600bill
My '06 GT shifts from first to second about one second after starting off with a minor jerk. It seems to do it only when car has been sitting for a while and after a few miles it smooths out. Anyone else have this shift pattern? UPDATE/EDIT: With transmission in "S" mode no jerking at all. Anyone familiar with transmission "recycling" which may be a solution?
I think my problem was solved after we reset the transmission adaptive setting. It would still jerk after the first couple days but it would slowly start getting better. Now couple weeks later it is all gone and transmission runs perfect!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
I think my problem was solved after we reset the transmission adaptive setting. It would still jerk after the first couple days but it would slowly start getting better. Now couple weeks later it is all gone and transmission runs perfect!
I had a similar situation. My '06 was jerking/clunking between 1 and 2 when shifting from 1 after about 1 second. My son ran the p**s out of it one day and now the transmission is smooth again. I think it "adapted" if that makes any sense. I guess I have been too gentle on the accelerator.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Makes perfect sense. The cars seems to sense HOW you drive it and eventually goes into some 'hidden driving mode'. When you go back to gentle driving after a while it'll go back to that (maybe) jerky mode like you experienced. It takes a bit of driving to change these hidden modes, yet have noticed this in both the GT and GTC. It is not something you can change manually, it simply senses your driving style and (eventually) adapts accordingly.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Makes perfect sense. The cars seems to sense HOW you drive it and eventually goes into some 'hidden driving mode'. When you go back to gentle driving after a while it'll go back to that (maybe) jerky mode like you experienced. It takes a bit of driving to change these hidden modes, yet have noticed this in both the GT and GTC. It is not something you can change manually, it simply senses your driving style and (eventually) adapts accordingly.
The car is to smart for its own good. I don't need a car to learn how i want to drive and then have to unlearn bad habits.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Oh Mr. Great and Wise Dr. D, I have a solution....

Glue a brick to the top of the accelerator pedal. Problem solved

Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Oh Mr. Great and Wise Dr. D, I have a solution....
Well I have finally gotten the title I have deserved. How ever by definition of the newly bestowed title only I can come up with the solution.

………stay tuned.