Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

'13 GT Speed 'New' or '14 GT S V8 'New' ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
texex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the rough
Arrow '13 GT Speed 'New' or '14 GT S V8 'New' ??

So going to take the plunge on a 'new' GT.

Have two options and kinda stuck on which is the 'better' deal overall:

2013 GT Speed (loaded) never titled 'executive car' with 400 miles - $170k

OR

2014 GT S V8 never titled 'executive car' with 450 miles - $171k

Both will retroactive warranty to purchase date.

Which one and why in your opinion??

Also, which one is a better resale in 1-2 years?

Last edited by texex91; 11-21-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
I prefer 12 cylinders, and since gas is cheap, as if it matters. Just as if depreceation matters in our world. I think what matters is color, interior and your decision because I made mine.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Wow what a great decision to have to make! I wish I were in your shoes sir.

I do not profess to be a Bentley connoisseur, however, if it were me I would go with the GT Speed.

GT Speed
  • W12 Engine (I would consider this to be more exotic)
    • Won't be quite as responsive as the V8 I would imagine
  • Higher Initial MSRP
    • Initial depreciation is more significant (thus the price they are offering you) but should value better over time
    • Check cars.com/autotrader to see car values
  • GT car with a comfortable ride
    • Top Speed is 200+ (if that matters)
V8
  • V8 Engine (I don't think MPG gains are a concern of yours?)
    • The torque will be noticeable and HP more useable with the "lighter" car
  • GT car with a sportier ride
    • Will feel more nimble and quicker but will compromise some comfort for the stiffer suspension
    • In actuality I believe the car is only slighter faster than the Speed
Since both cars will have their warranty start date moved to the date you purchase 2013 or 2014 doesn't matter in my mind. Unless of course there were significant changes/improvements for 2014?

To me a Bentley is a GT first and foremost and the GT speed will still be plenty of fun to drive.

I would not place the potential resale value above the driving experience when it comes to making this decision. We all know that cars are poor investments and that we will take a hit come resale. However, I think it is important that while you have the car that it provides you with the experience you want.

It comes down to whether you want your GT to have more of a luxurious ride or a sporty ride.

Whichever route you go be sure to post pics. I wish you the best of luck in your decision making process!

Last edited by omegaSMP300; 11-21-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe, this is just me, but think the w12 engine has a more exotic car sound.....

Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
texex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the rough
Great thoughts so far gents...I appreciate the details. Keep them coming, but looks like Speed is the right one over one year newer V8S.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2008 Speed that I bought with just 3000 miles on it. It rides really nice and draws more attention than my 911. The fit and
finish of the Bentley is very nice and I'm really particular. I haven't driven the V8 Bentley so all I can coment on is the Speed. It is just amazing that a 5200 pound car can be so fast. I would suggest that you drive both cars and buy the one you like best. Either way you will have a really special car.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gene G
I have a 2008 Speed that I bought with just 3000 miles on it. It rides really nice and draws more attention than my 911. The fit and
finish of the Bentley is very nice and I'm really particular. I haven't driven the V8 Bentley so all I can coment on is the Speed. It is just amazing that a 5200 pound car can be so fast. I would suggest that you drive both cars and buy the one you like best. Either way you will have a really special car.
Really appreciate the feedback--especially from a P-car guy.

Leaning towards speed and will probably pull trigger...

Old 11-22-2014, 04:32 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
13 Speed without a second thought. A 12 cyl is magical and if you care about depreciation the Speed will benefit there too. You said fully loaded, which is excellent, since you know it gets very costly to add bits later to these cars.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
13 Speed without a second thought. A 12 cyl is magical and if you care about depreciation the Speed will benefit there too. You said fully loaded, which is excellent, since you know it gets very costly to add bits later to these cars.
Fantastic news...well I think the decision has been made

Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
My dad had a similar decision. It was between the 14' W12, 14' Speed and the 14' V8. He and I test drove these cars all back to back to back.

Ended up with the speed. It sounds better, and I personally think it's "easier" on the highway especially in situation where you have to pass someone. When driven all back to back to back, the difference in personalities really does present itself and I think there is nothing better then the W12 SpeeD...

Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
W12 all the way

Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
Not the same years but they compare both inclination. At worst PM him now that it's been a few months they have been running them.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-1-w12-v8.html

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Talked to a couple of Bentley dealers (GM's) and they said wait until Dec as Bentley unloads some demo units (1-2k miles) at unheard of prices. Going to wait a few weeks and see what shows up. Best month to buy a Bentley is Dec according to two separate dealers.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vanslam
I prefer 12 cylinders, and since gas is cheap, as if it matters. Just as if depreceation matters in our world. I think what matters is color, interior and your decision because I made mine.
This x2.

Be honest to yourself about why you are even buying a car like this. Please take no offense. Looks matters and how it pleases you and your eye. The "special" car will LYK right away that it is the one.

If the cars are identical i'd have the w12 Speed. Heck I'd take the w16 if they made one. I don't know how many people have asked me about how many cylinders my car has and when you say 12 they all swoon with awe and put bluntly that makes me feel good.

I also agree with Omega that this is a heavy GT car by design and making it lighter and sportier is obtuse. It is a big extremely powerful heavy road touring car of the highest esthetic quality. It exudes class and possesses an imposing road presence that the P cars Merc.'s and Audi's do not have. Sorry other car owners. Now Ferrari, McClaren and Aston Martin are real players.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
This x2.

Be honest to yourself about why you are even buying a car like this. Please take no offense. Looks matters and how it pleases you and your eye. The "special" car will LYK right away that it is the one.

If the cars are identical i'd have the w12 Speed. Heck I'd take the w16 if they made one. I don't know how many people have asked me about how many cylinders my car has and when you say 12 they all swoon with awe and put bluntly that makes me feel good.

I also agree with Omega that this is a heavy GT car by design and making it lighter and sportier is obtuse. It is a big extremely powerful heavy road touring car of the highest esthetic quality. It exudes class and possesses an imposing road presence that the P cars Merc.'s and Audi's do not have. Sorry other car owners. Now Ferrari, McClaren and Aston Martin are real players.
All valid points there Doc. Cannot disagree with the cache it has (good or bad). It is over the top vs say the new S550 Coupe (which is on my mind), but has a completely different level of wow factor (albeit getting a little old after 11 years).

And to your list of 'real players' let's not forget Lambo

Last edited by texex91; 11-26-2014 at 10:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '13 GT Speed 'New' or '14 GT S V8 'New' ??