Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 GT Transmission problems?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:14 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jc_333
In the same position as you as it would be nice to have fresh oil as nothing last forever. My independent quoted below prices using factory recommended oils. Filter not included as pending updated quote but IMO replacing the filter is a must. It would be like changing engine oil without a new filter. Labor $190 ATF (7ltrs) $385 Diff oil (4ltrs) $250 Thanks J

Just make sure if have the scan tool to check transmission temp. if you are going to diy.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Noted with thanks.

Will give it to indy when I replace tensioner damper, pulley and ribbed belt.

Thanks

J

Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Just make sure if have the scan tool to check transmission temp. if you are going to diy.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bentleytech
you have to go through a special drive cycle, you will need a very long straight road as it is pretty hard to do, even ZF the makers of the trans know this, we use to complain to them its literally impossible to do without getting a speeding ticket. you have to drive up thru the range at 20-25% throttle and then let it coast to down shift , thats the basics but it is a bit more complicated and you may need a dealer to reset parameters in TCM.
Bentleytech, would it be possible to clarify what is meant by "you have to drive up thru the range at 20-25% throttle and then let it coast to down shift"
Speeds, duration or ??

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-23-2017, 02:25 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
what it means is from standstill, apply 20-25% throttle, let the car go up through each gear till top and then coast to let car slow down and down shift on its own, this is why it is hard ti do. not many roads apart from the freeway give you enough space and the speed you reach is pretty fast before you can start the coasting to slow down.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bentleytech
what it means is from standstill, apply 20-25% throttle, let the car go up through each gear till top and then coast to let car slow down and down shift on its own, this is why it is hard ti do. not many roads apart from the freeway give you enough space and the speed you reach is pretty fast before you can start the coasting to slow down.
Thanks, Bentleytech. I was able to run through the gears as you suggested on the freeway from a dead stop from the onramp up until 6th gear. I could only coast down to 3rd or 4th before having to speed up due to following traffic. I thought I would have to try it again but yesterday after leaving home to drive around town, the shift was smooth as can be. Don't thing it's a coincidence. Saved me a trip to the dealer and maybe a big repair bill.

To repeat the symptoms, the transmission would always shift from first to second with a hesitation and a "clunk" which seem to get progressively worse. The slower I accelerated, the more pronounced the "clunk". All other shifts were OK.

Is there a simple explanation for what was happening to cause it to heal itself?

Thanks again to Bentleytech!!

Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 PM
jhkm12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
reviving an oldie but a goodie (hopefully)
so I'm trying to replicate this drive cycle to hopefully solve the same set of issues discussed. harsh 3-2 slowing to a stoplight and hesitation on the 1-2 all else is fine and dandy.

A couple questions

was the 20-25% throttle a "by feel" thing or did you hold while watching 25% by use of a obd2 scanner or sort?

possibly interrelated issue but maybe not... when the obd2 scanner is plugged in and the car is off or at idle it shows 13-14 % throttle position. when WOT is applied (when car not running) shows 89% or so
I'll go for another drive tomorrow to see what happens in each case.