Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Plenum Chamber - is there a water drain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:09 AM
GGG1 is on a distinguished road
Plenum Chamber - is there a water drain?

Having sorted out blocked Aerofoil and Fuel Filler Bowl drains, I've moved onto the Plenum Chamber after reading about the risk of a flooded fusebox.

Both sides were full of dead leaves and an accumulation of road dirt which I've cleaned out.

QUESTION: is there a water drain in the Plenum Chamber? The only outlet I can see is where the Screenwash filler tube goes through.

Graham

Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
yes there is a water drain that according to bentley can only be serviced by taking out the engine. a terrible design flaw that affects2004 and (i think )2005) steve foley bentley in chicago has figured out a fix without removing engine. i am bringing my 04 to an independent in south florida who has contacted steve foley and will attempt the fix. i am out of town next week while he has my car. i will advise when i return

Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Answered my own question!

There's two drains in the bulkhead below the HVAC unit. These allow rainwater taken in through the black plastic air inlet to drain out of the engine compartment. Drain tubes from them exit either side of the transmission.

Name:  WATER DRAINS.jpg
Views: 4548
Size:  163.0 KB

The drains can't be seen with the HVAC unit in place but, knowing where they are, it's possible to push a wire through underneath the HVAC to clear any loose material which may be blocking them. This can then be vacuumed out.

Once cleaned, the drains easily coped with the flow from a medium pressure garden hose.

Graham

Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 AM
great news. i will show this to my indie thx

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by larryr
yes there is a water drain that according to bentley can only be serviced by taking out the engine. a terrible design flaw that affects2004 and (i think )2005)..........
I can well believe it. Anyone who would design a vehicle where you have to remove the windscreen wipers, bonnet seal and plenum cover just to access the AC charge ports is capable of anything.

Whilst under the car with the front shroud removed, I noticed there's also two condensate drains from the HVAC unit. Is it these drains that supposedly need an engine out to service?

Jaguar have a similar arrangement on the HVAC drains in the XK/XKR where they block and flood the front footwells.

Graham

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM
i will ask the indie

Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 PM
great news. i will show this to my indie thx
As I had the car up on ramps with the front shroud off, I thought it worthwhile to check the HVAC condensate drains at the same time.

With the AC on max COLD, there was a steady drip from the outlets so no problems on mine. The relevant section from IETIS may help others not so fortunate:

Name:  CONDENSATE DRAINS.jpg
Views: 3933
Size:  179.5 KB

"A drain tube (1) is fitted on each side of the HVAC unit to allow condensate to flow out through holes in the transmission tunnel. The security of the tubes should be checked if moisture is noticed on the front carpets.

To remove, carefully bend back the carpet then pull the tubes from the HVAC unit and transmission tunnel (there are no retainers). Access can be improved by removing the glovebox compartment or the driver's knee roll as applicable."

Graham

Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM
GT motorworks in boca raton (shameful promotion) removed and cleared ac vents and removed plenum drain plugs and cleared. he said flow of water was restricted. $400.00 cheap $ for the damage these procedures will prevent.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:49 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
yes there is a water drain that according to bentley can only be serviced by taking out the engine. a terrible design flaw that affects2004 and (i think )2005) steve foley bentley in chicago has figured out a fix without removing engine. i am bringing my 04 to an independent in south florida who has contacted steve foley and will attempt the fix. i am out of town next week while he has my car. i will advise when i return
what is the procedure to check and clean without engine removal?

Old 01-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sazam
what is the procedure to check and clean without engine removal?
@sazam ,
The comments (by others and Bentley) of engine removal is just udder bs, no way would anyone remove the engine and transmission to clean a drain.

You have 3 drains to clean, and if one kept a good eye on the cowl area, and changed their HVAC filters in the hood more often, or checked same for debris, be it leaves, pine needles, or even signs of rodents, the drains and their placement would not be an issue.

Inside the vehicle you pop off the two black 90° rubber fittings and vacuum them out, then possibly blow some air into each 90 towards the outside of drain, do not blow air and debris back into the HVAC evaporator as some show online, suck it out with a vacuum, as to the cowl drain flap in the center of the cowl unit the HVAC suitcase, use a vacuum with a rigged up smaller tube to reach the area, also flush it with water from a hose, or some warmer water (not boiling) to loosen up the crud if heavy build up.

To repeat, I would never think about dropping the engine to clean the cowl drain, I would remove the brake booster, or the HVAC heater coolant pump valve if I needed more access from either side, but I haven't, I have removed the plastic cover quite a few times to check and clean.

Johnny

Audi A8L pictures from internet to show how bad the drains can clog from lack of maintaining the cowl area and or the HVAC filters.

MY COWL FLAP DRAIN

MY HVAC FILTERS SHOWING THE RODENT DEBRIS

Rodent

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-24-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:07 PM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
"as to the cowl drain flap in the center of the cowl unit the HVAC suitcase, use a vacuum with a rigged up smaller tube to reach the area,"

johnny from what side ? from engine side???

Old 01-24-2023, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sazam
"as to the cowl drain flap in the center of the cowl unit the HVAC suitcase, use a vacuum with a rigged up smaller tube to reach the area,"

johnny from what side ? from engine side???
@sazam ,
Yes, from the engine side, meaning under the hood from the top, remove the surrounding seal, remove the wiper arms, and remove the plastic cowl cover to access the cowl area.

Cowl area to be cleaned.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-24-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:12 PM
Administrator
@sazam ,
Just out of curiosity, are you seeing all of my pictures ?

Johnny

Old 02-05-2023, 12:54 PM
Johnny... for the first time i did not... but after closing chrome and starting again (on my phone) the pictures were loaded ... for sure i did not seen your last photo...

today i did the inspection of this area - i assume there is no chance to precisely reach the drain holes from top - just need some hose and air compressor to get somewhere near - so i did that.

if this is right approach then cool- ive blowed the air - some dry leafs and clone seeds were blowed away - i did all in companion of vacuum cleaner so it was vacuumed immediatelly.

if it is not right what i did then pls guide me how to reach the drain point more precisely cause my statement is that it it is not possible

anyway when i was sure enough there is no more dirt or leafs there i poured some hot water from both corners and immediatelly i got flush under the car

i hope this means i did right things and procedure was ok

for the hvac hose inside the car i did inspection too - it was super clean already - so blowed some air into the hose "under car direction" and did vacuum from the "hvac direction."

did also cleanup under the aerofoil - no issues
just few dirt things water flushes ok

and blowed air in the fuel cap drain hole and also did hot water with APC treatment - water went under the car.

so for the coming season should be ok ( i do not drive in winter)

Btw:

i have missing one clip holding the plastic big cover under the windshiekd - anyone with the manual etis or smth can tell me the part number to buy?

and one of the clip is missing the **** - the upper part / handle is there but i dont have the part which locks the plastic cover - locking tongue - sorry trying to explain what is missing in not my native lang. anyone can share the part number of the tongue?

Last edited by sazam; 02-05-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:42 PM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sazam,

I believe you are looking for the part number 14 (3B5867467) Twist Lock Rotary **** and or part number 15 (3B5867468) Twist Lock Locking Tongue in the attached diagram. Both of these together hold down the Plenum Cover Assembly. I purchased mine from Flying Spares. Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum Chamber - is there a water drain?