Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

check engine P2187 flying spur 09 "system lean at idle"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 AM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
check engine P2187 flying spur 09 "system lean at idle"

Hi all:

Just bought a 2009 flying spur. Two days after taking it home, check engine light comes on. Dealer says i'm SOL.

Advance auto parts read the code to be P2187 "system too lean at idle bank 1"

I'm in the process of finding a mechanic, but haven't found one yet that will work on Bentleys.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong with the car? Any common known issues to cause this?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 01-04-2016, 12:29 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
In USA you have three days to refund as I recall. Return car ASAP.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Hawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to all
You really need to hook it up to a VAG-COM reader to get more detailed information. The standard OBDII readers aren't going to tell the whole story. There are many possible causes for it to throw that code.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Hawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to allHawk375 is a name known to all
18619/P2187/008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
Possible Causes
Injectors leak/blocked
Air Intake Leak (after MAF)
Exhaust Leak
Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
Check Injector(s)
Check Fuel Pump
Check Activated Charcoal Filter (EVAP) System Solenoid Valve 1 (N80)

Special Notes
When found in the NAR 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve
If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Are you guys aware of any known flying spur issues/manufacture defects that would give this code?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, I had a pressure high bank 2 (during startup error that triggered the engine light) and had to change the front/center Bosch bit. VW part 07C906051

Easy to fix, yet don't think that is the same prob as yours

ADDED: If it is the known defective hose just over the transmission.... engine out time. Bentley refuses to make it right even on low mileage cars so plan on $3.5k cost to replace a $100 hose.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 01-05-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM
yikes!! Do you remember the CEL code that came up when you had the issue with the hose?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Alas no, didn't have a reader at the time. It is a VERY common flaw in the car.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
Honestly, you should take Steven's advice and return that car immediately. It sounds from all your posts and join date that you may be in over your head.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM
UPDATE (and questions for you all):

I haven't had a chance to bring the car to a mechanic. But i do have some updates on what the car is doing, and have some questions for you all.

The check engine light is now intermittent. It goes off right after i re-fuel, and stays off for a day or two, before coming back on. And the car is now showing symptoms; every once in a while, the car sputters at idle and sounds like it's going to stall. But if i tap the gas pedal a bit, the car seems fine.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be, now, with this new information?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Chipster is on a distinguished road
I would not be testing fate by continuing to run the engine. Could be causing further damage. Get it towed to a dealer that can work on them and can give you a diagnosis.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Uh oh, that sounds like the symptoms of the dreaded engine out air leak to fix the hose atop the transmission. Plan on about $3500 to fix it. Hope you got a reeeeeeeeally good deal on that car.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 AM
Well the car is FIXED. I wanted to update for anyone who might search and find this similar issue.

It turned out to be a malfunctioning MAF sensor. The part was ~$800 and with labor (at $174/hr...) came to $1400, done at my Bentley dealership. A lot simpler than we all thought, eh?

Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 AM
Simpler, yes... yet quite a high cost for an MAF sensor.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cduluk1
It turned out to be a malfunctioning MAF sensor. The part was ~$800 and with labor (at $174/hr...) came to $1400, done at my Bentley dealership. A lot simpler than we all thought, eh?

Hello cduluk1,

I am sorry to say this, but you got hosed, you paid $800.00 for a $140.00ish part, then you paid $600.00 in labor for 3.44 hours of labor for a piece that can removed and replaced in say 10-20 minutes, even less when you know what you are looking at, and I am sure some of those 3.44 hours went towards diagnostics, but what, an hour, maybe 2, and to top it off you do not even need to buy the whole complete MAF at $140.00, you can purchase just the meter at $55.00.....

This just makes me

Bosch 0280218073 Air Mass Sensor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Volkswa...913044?vxp=mtr

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...meter&tbm=shop

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine P2187 flying spur 09 "system lean at idle"