Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New Owner - My GT Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM
6CWT is an unknown quantity at this point
New Owner - My GT Thread

Hi Everyone,

It's great to have found such an excellent source of information on the GT and hear other owners share their experiences of these beautiful cars!

After 18 months of driving my OH mad by browsing Autotrader at every opportunity, I've finally taken the step of committing to a 2007(UK Spec) Continental GT Mulliner in Beluga metallic, Beluga interior w/ Portland stitching and Piano Black veneer!

The car was for advertised for sale at a non-Bentley franchised dealership in the Midlands (England) and we drove over 300 miles to see it. The car was still awaiting preparation when we bought it but I gave it a reasonable going over to check everything was in order. I'm currently awaiting a collection date while cosmetic preparation is carried out and it's due to be serviced at a Bentley franchised dealership later this week. I've arranged to phone the Bentley service department for their report after the car's been serviced, so hopefully that will provide sufficient reassurance that everything is I order before I pick it up.

One frustrating aspect of being so far away from the dealership is that I cant go back for a second look at the car. I took exterior pictures, but my recollection of some specific details has become a little hazy and there were a couple of things I wondered if you could help me with:

In the non-power boot car, how should the boot behave when you press the boot badge? As I recall, the boot latch released, but it didn't spring up/open like I might have expected. I had to lift it manually. Is this normal?

One of the other things I wish I'd checked properly was the CD/ Sat Nav in the glove compartment. As I recall, the car only had one unit fitted in the glove box when I checked (the CD changer I think). I've seen early cars with separate CD and Sat Nav units, so presumably the Nav is missing? That seems odd. Does anyone else have a 2007 UK-spec car to confirm that both units should be present?

A family member has a current CGT and I noticed that the most recent infotainment unit has an integrated CD slot. He only has the CD unit and an iPod connector (older-style connection oddly enough!) in the glove compartment. He has a physical Nav disc in the glove box which came with the car, so I wondered it's now uploaded to the HD.

Any info or comments appreciated.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Thumbs up

....found information in an old thread which suggests that the boot lid operation I've described is normal.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The boot, yes, it's normal.
You might be lucky and find that it's the CD changer that is missing having been replaced by a Dice unit or similar.

Enjoy the car.

Les.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by ExSF
The boot, yes, it's normal.
You might be lucky and find that it's the CD changer that is missing having been replaced by a Dice unit or similar.

Enjoy the car.

Les.
Thanks Les, I've come across several of your threads as I've been browsing the forum. Some of the work you've done on your car is very brave! I hadn't considered the possibility that the media set-up may have been upgraded at some point - hopefully that is the case.

Will post pictures following collection early next week.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Haha. If you think the work on the car is brave, you should see the Chateau I've been renovating for the past 10 years. The car is a doddle compared.

Les.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 AM
Good morning all, I was due to pick up the car today, however the Bentley Tech's picked up a fault on Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Bank 1, so collection has been delayed till it can be replaced. Bank holiday weekend too

Meanwhile, I've been browsing the forums trying to learn as much as I can about the car.

I've used the forum search function, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to a couple of questions...

Is the Nokia 6210 compatible with the phone cradle in the 2007 (UK Spec) GT? It's not listed on Bentley's website, although I found one post suggesting it worked fine.

I remember reading some advice to a new owner about investing in a VAGCOM cable among other things. Can someone direct me to a specific type of cable that's compatible with our cars?

Cheers!

CWT

Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM
shabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Did you buy the GT in the end? I'm curious to know if the technical fault actually was a sensor?!

I'm also on the lookout for an 07 (ish) GT as I believe a lot of the early problems were ironed out by then.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by shabs
Hi,

Did you buy the GT in the end? I'm curious to know if the technical fault actually was a sensor?!

I'm also on the lookout for an 07 (ish) GT as I believe a lot of the early problems were ironed out by then.
Hi Shab, yes I believe it was the sensor and I was told this had been replaced at the Bentley dealer.

When I finally arrived to collect the car however, I noticed the front N/S wing was slightly misaligned around the headlamps and then recalled that the car had pulled slightly to the left during the test drive. I had put this down to tracking and had asked that it be corrected, however I'm not sure if this had been done. The car looked spectacular in all other regards, however I'd begun to question the possibility of accident damage so I had to walk away.

This was a non-Bentley franchised dealership with a number of GT's in stock which had given me some confidence in the beginning, however I've certainly had my eyes opened by the experience and I'm probably going to hang off for a suitable car coming up at one of the Bentley dealerships.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
shabs is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a lot of money..if it doesn't feel right you definitely did the right thing by walking away...I have (twice!).
It wasn't in Leicester by any chance?!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:31 PM
I've sent you a PM.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:48 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
FYI: Pull to left, or right, could be alignment issue and then they need VAGCOM to re-zero out the steering. Just saved quite a bit today as Bentley wants $400 to do four-wheel alignment, yet the local authorized VW dealership charged me $150. So please keep in mind you can save quite a bit of money by using a VW dealership (or good independent) instead of Bentley as the 2007-ish cars are basically VW Phaetons.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...what did you finally purchase...you did a wise walk off...I would only buy used auto from original owner with full service history...Hello from San Francisco JimB

Old 02-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by jim2331
...what did you finally purchase...you did a wise walk off...I would only buy used auto from original owner with full service history...Hello from San Francisco JimB
Hi Jim,

In the end, I bought a 2010 Series 51 GT Speed in Onyx with Beluga/ Linen/ Hotspur interior. The car came used approved car from a local Bentley dealer who have known the car since new. It came with a year's Bentley warranty. I love it!

Funnily enough, I received a parking ticket and a speeding ticket for the other car I had looked at buying (above), so someone else must have bought it. The dealership had transferred the ownership documents into my name before the sale was complete, it took a few emails back and forth to convince them that I'd never taken delivery of the car!

😀

Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....all luck in world with your 2010 Speed...I bought same auto new at end of 2009...it has been a pleasure...just changed out the Main (left) Battery...did it myself with help from experts here...Johnny and ZaOs