Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2006 BCGT Headliner Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 AM
jslamin is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 BCGT Headliner Repair

I know that this is a common issue that is well reported in this forum. But I would like some opinion on the 2 options that are presented here. i have one quote to drop the complete panel and re-glue the leather to the panel. It may require some stretching of the leather as reported by the shop making the quote. They are quoting $500-$700. I have a second quote from a shop that insists I need to replace the leather. This quote is $3000. And he says because it is leather, it will ultimately fail in a similar manner. I would like some learned opinions on this issue.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:53 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
They should be able to keep the stock leather so 500-700 seems about right and about what i've seen others post here for the fix. As you're in MA, have you tried:

Phone - (413) 785-1665
Email robison@robisonservice.com
Website www.robisonservice.com

Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jslamin
I know that this is a common issue that is well reported in this forum. But I would like some opinion on the 2 options that are presented here. i have one quote to drop the complete panel and re-glue the leather to the panel. It may require some stretching of the leather as reported by the shop making the quote. They are quoting $500-$700. I have a second quote from a shop that insists I need to replace the leather. This quote is $3000. And he says because it is leather, it will ultimately fail in a similar manner. I would like some learned opinions on this issue.
Hello Jslamin,

You can see how I did my own in the linked thread starting around post # 52, with the $500-$700 quote be sure that they are not just spraying glue to re-adhere the leather back to the gray foam that you will see in my thread pictures, you WILL have a mess if they go that route, the old gray foam MUST be removed from the leather and scraped off of the headliner shell, again see my pictures, then apply new foam to the shell with proper glue, then glue the leather to the foam, again with the proper strong 3M headliner glue, not the green environmental weak garbage, as an upholstery shop they may have even a stronger glue, I would deal with the odor of the strongest glues for a few days or longer then the odorless glue allowing it to separate, a note of IMPORTANCE, the thickness of the foam, DO NOT use the 1" like I did, as Bentley cuts the holes for the sun visor mounts, vanity lights, along with the grab handle mounts very tight, so as I was in the middle of the job a light bulb went on in my head and it was an "oh crap" moment, even though the foam was very collapsible it was just to thick and the leather would conform to the mounting of said items, so I pulled back the leather and shaved the foam in the areas of the mounts needed, then re-glued and installed, although I have not driven the vehicle yet as I am now in the engine stage of my build, it has been sitting in the baking sun since I did the headliner in early April, and not one sag .

The $3000 quote, don't even bother, I would rather pay the $500- $700 years later or do it again myself then to loose the leather, unless you would like a Alcantara "fake suede" headliner, but that is not $3000.00 !!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Link for Alcantara.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Alca...3D131893555175

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-25-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-26-2016, 04:47 AM
Thank you Johnny as this is a very detailed opinion, exactly what I was mining for.
I am familiar with the Robinson company as they have sponsored several MB events in the area. I will contact them as well.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
So I just had the headliner completely removed, scraped for old foam and reinstalled. All 3 sections were done. $850.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
So I just had the headliner completely removed, scraped for old foam and reinstalled. All 3 sections were done. $850.
That's beautiful !!

Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
That's great news! If I may ask, who did the repair?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:27 PM
You may ask. I had my low ball quote do the job. I had Autosound in Plainville, MA. do the job. They specialize in car electronics, leather upgrades and sunroof conversions.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:52 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
I also had a shop quoted me few grand to do the job. Another shop quoted $700.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 AM
I am very satisfied with the results I got from Auto Sound. It is indistinguishable from factory new. It took them the better part of 2 days. I printed all of the instructions I have in the digital service manual I have and gave them to them. They said that was very useful.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 AM
That truly is great news and it is just a headliner repair. Am not surprised some shops feel there needs to be some type of 'Bentley Premium' on some common repair jobs.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
I am very satisfied with the results I got from Auto Sound. It is indistinguishable from factory new. It took them the better part of 2 days. I printed all of the instructions I have in the digital service manual I have and gave them to them. They said that was very useful.
Hey, if your still on the site, I sent you a PM. Hope you can help!