Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Lars_Tempest is on a distinguished road
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Good morning Lars,
I have to make this quick for now , but the "860" is for the drivers side rear seat in the Phaeton or Flying Spur, here is a "3W0 959 760 B"unit for 239,Euro, still way better then $650.00, this listed 3W0959760B unit was manufactured in the 17th week of 07 as can seen buy the date code at the bottom right "17/07" so being that my 05 had "760 A" and I never pulled the 06 modules out of the intact seats, I do not know what my 06 has, BUT seeing that this listed part is a "B" and from an 07, I am going to say that the A or B will work for you, so you have a choice to make, try the Phaeton "3D0" "B" from the 14 week of 03, or buy this listed unit, BUT do be aware that in some cases even the exact matching part number may or may not need some coding, say if this 07 unit did not have massage seat, you may or may not need to add that code, but I myself have installed modules from different vehicles and most times the vehicle and module speak and the vehicle installs and no coding needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bentley-Cont...0AAOSw4SlV8rOH

Also just a note the "E" comes back as a 2011, but that was just a quick search, I will check further later, BUT just note the prefix letter is to note the latest revision, BUT also be aware the "E" also stand for exchange as it does when speaking of the 3W0 035 008 E infotainment radio system in our Bentley, yes on that units part number the "E" stands for rebuilt exchange..... That's why the E infotainment unit is $3600 at the dealer, compared to the normal price of $5900.00 at the dealer for new...

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Lars,
Okay so I stepped outside to take a brake from the 60 some screaming 3-5 year Olds, and some adults

So as I stand here thinking, this comes to mind, while I do not want to be cynical of the dealer, I can't help but wonder how did they borrow a module from an other GTC, not only whose vehicle did they borrow it from, But how, and why, I will come back to this point, and as you stated from the beginning of this thread that your seat was stuck in the furthest back position and unable to move forward, how did they get your seat out if the three rear bolts in the track are covered by the seat rail, did you see the seat out, reason being that the module is accessible and removable without removing the seat, that is what I first did on the 05 flood seats, removed the module and moved all wiring to the side so I could access the forward and reverse motors on each seat to use my old speedometer screw gun trick as posted way back, I had to do that to get to the bolts to get the flooded and destroyed seats out, but what confuses me is did they go through all that to remove your seat and if so why, or DID they throw a module from off the shelf in and found it to be the problem, I just do not understand how they removed the seat without first getting it to move forward.....
So back to my other point in the beginning of this post, are they stating that the seat must be removed to access the module, if so, are we to believe that they pulled the seat out of another GTC, I think not, I may be off base here, but this is my take on what you have posted, and is this the same dealer that told you that you needed to replace the rear strut ?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 AM
Hi Johnny,
Well my trust of this dealer is low, which is why I'm taking the car back and aim to do this myself with the help of an indy to reprogram things. A real rip-off, and they want some $600 for the diagnostic.. Yes same guys who, as is now clear, just guessed that the strut was the problem (when a new unit didn't remedy at all).
My local Bentley dealer in UK told me that the way they move the seat is to bypass the normal operation, connect a temporary wire (well two) to the motor, hook up to a battery and reverse polarity (and the motor should operate). The fault claimed in my module is that it fails to reverse polarity to the fwd/backwd motor and this can be overridden as described. Now that may or may not be the case, but is what I was told and it makes some sense (as long as the motor is good). That raises the question if the fault can be re-programmed in existing module or if it is a hardware fault, and it also shows how a faulty relay could give the same problem
I did not see the seat out of the car, but this dealer told be they had "taken it apart" and had confirmed/double-checked the fault by "borrowing" another module...from where I don not know..maybe they had one lying around.. Maybe that was a tall story to get me to do the hugely overpriced repair..
I'm asking them to leave the seat bolted only in front, and to leave the module holder unbolted/loose as I understand there is a difficult bolt with the seat in the car.. Am also hoping my indy can reprogram any module. Have asked the ebay vendor if he can provide a 3D0959760 C instead of the B etc, but whether that's possible remains to be seen..

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 03-20-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 AM
Update: So the original ebay seller of the "B" control unit kindly agreed to cancel the order before shipped. I now purchased a 3D0959760"C" unit from 9/2005 that looks in good shape.

The dealer gave me a print-out of the diagnosis and stored fault codes, from VAS 6150C / VCI VAS 5054 (140824961). If important there are some data on the software version too.

A number of stored faults (the report runs 15 pages, most look historic). On the relevant fault I have: 0036 MC (Control Module) Driver seat, Protocol KWP2000/TPKLINE: Part number 3W0959760A, Software version: 0008, Coding: 2 . Two faults listed as VAG00997 Motor for longitudal regulation of seat:
First, Type of fault 1: Interrupted, Type of fault 2: Static
And second, Type of fault 1: "There is no basic adjustment or adaptation or they are wrong" (translated from Spanish)
Type of fault 2: Static

SO when I receive the seat module I will see if it is plug&play or needs coding. Dealer of course fully fitted the seat so it will be tricky to get to switch the module perhaps. Might try the trick of hooking up wires to the motor directly and run from a battery, as Bentley UK described...

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 03-23-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Update... finally got around to move the seat and change the control module. A really fiddly job, but with the seat fully forward and lifted one can just about get to the connectors at the back of the control module.
The seat can actually be moved forward by connecting wires to a wire connector under the seat (blue and brown) and connect to a battery.. this runs power directly to the motor. Take out the rear seat cushion to improve access underneath the seat.

BUT...the Phaeton 3D0959760"C" unit is not plug and play..I am hoping it is a recoding exercise. Basically it seems power has been reversed i.e. push forward and the seat goes back, press up and it lowers.. etc. No reaction from the lumbar massage button nor from the seatback fwd/backwd button...Any ideas?
Also, has anyone successfully repaired a control unit ... if so what is likely to cause the "forward" function not to work?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Am back on this seat module issue ... So we know the control module was at fault, and the Phaeton module Phaeton 3D0959760"C"/00R unit is not plug and play. Bentley dealer here says the Phaeton module would work in a Flying Spur but NOT in a GT/GTC because the functions are different. They claimed the module could not be re-programmed. So the seat went back and forth, but would not go up (lift) with the Phaeton module. So now the seat is stuck in lowest position. So I decided to remove the module and replace with original (3W0959760A ..3/06). After much fumbling I finally got the rear wire connectors off and the module out, BUT it is far too tight to get the rear connectors back onto the original module. So what to do..IF the module holder / "cassette" could be removed, it has two clops onto the bar above, but also hangs on something else I cannot see/find (seat is in lowest pos)...Don't want to break the cassette - any pointers? Alternatively perhaps power direct to the wire connector on the forward motor would lift the seat ... have tried but no success yet.. Ideas?
Really don;t want to go back to this stealer if it can be avoided..

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 03-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Hello Lars ,
Very busy at the moment, but quick thought, are you still able to move the seat forward and back , if so, remove the rear bolts and front nuts and rock the seat to the back for easy front access, if not, I will look later on the removal of cassette.

Johnny

Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Thanks Johnny,

No can't get the seat to move, I've tried with a separate battery to run it direct to the wires for the motor..and can't find the tool for the large bolts to rear of seat either..even asked dealer to borrow a key bit (triple square?), they refused..
Seems there is a difficult screw on the cassette holder (to the control module), and the cassette itself obstructs my chance to plug in the rear cables..
Do you know which motor lifts the front of the seat, and where is the cable connector for that motor? Am thinking to try again with 12V power direct to the motor cables, it worked in the past for the forwards movement (but not now with the module out).
I basically made a mistake and took out the module thinking I would be able to get the new one back in too ..and am stuck painted well into the corner ..

Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Lars_Tempest
Thanks Johnny,

No can't get the seat to move, I've tried with a separate battery to run it direct to the wires for the motor..and can't find the tool for the large bolts to rear of seat either..even asked dealer to borrow a key bit (triple square?), they refused..
Seems there is a difficult screw on the cassette holder (to the control module), and the cassette itself obstructs my chance to plug in the rear cables..
Do you know which motor lifts the front of the seat, and where is the cable connector for that motor? Am thinking to try again with 12V power direct to the motor cables, it worked in the past for the forwards movement (but not now with the module out).
I basically made a mistake and took out the module thinking I would be able to get the new one back in too ..and am stuck painted well into the corner ..
Hello @Lars_Tempest ,
How did you ever make out with the seat ?
There is another member here who has both seats that will not recline on a 2011 GTC, very odd that both seat fail in the same way.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-16-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Johnny Hotspur GT;4828264]Hello @Lars_Tempest ,
There is another member here who has both seats that will not reline on a 2011 GTC, very odd that both seat fail in the same way.
Johnny

Hi Johnny,
In my case, it turned out to be a fault in the control unit sitting under the drivers' seat (mine is UK RHD). I bought a new one from Bentley, had it fitted by the dealer and happy days. Why the old unit would just fail / stop working I cannot say, evidently a circuit just failed..(In my case the seat would not move forward).
These cars are super sensitive to healthy battery, as many point out. Currently, at low battery I get a "check engine" amber warning light, which disappears upon reset and charge battery.. then again, my "smaller, starter battery" is now over 10 years old so time to change and all should be well.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Administrator
[QUOTE=Lars_Tempest;4828268]
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @Lars_Tempest ,
There is another member here who has both seats that will not reline on a 2011 GTC, very odd that both seat fail in the same way.
Johnny

Hi Johnny,
In my case, it turned out to be a fault in the control unit sitting under the drivers' seat (mine is UK RHD). I bought a new one from Bentley, had it fitted by the dealer and happy days. Why the old unit would just fail / stop working I cannot say, evidently a circuit just failed..(In my case the seat would not move forward).
These cars are super sensitive to healthy battery, as many point out. Currently, at low battery I get a "check engine" amber warning light, which disappears upon reset and charge battery.. then again, my "smaller, starter battery" is now over 10 years old so time to change and all should be well.

Good luck!
@Lars_Tempest Thank you for the update !
Now in hindsight I understand why the Phaeton did not function properly, and some items reversed, because the Phaeton is a 4 door like the Flying Spur, not the GT, GTC or the SS, so the seat module would have headrest adjustment and seatbelt height adjustment, therefore a different wiring diagram most likely, sorry that did not come to mind back then..

So the FS is the Phaeton

Johnny

Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 PM
CrossRam36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger seat in my 2014 GTC Speed doesn't move when using the seat back arrows and doesn't automatically move forward when tilting the back using the metal release handle in seat back. Full functionality of movement when using the seat bottom side controls. Any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2020, 05:57 PM
CrossRam36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem solved by simply moving seat to full forward, full up, full tilt, and then fill backward, full down, and full recline. Now seat side arrows and automatic movement using metal seat side release work as new.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 PM
AJ1
AJ1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CrossRam36
Problem solved by simply moving seat to full forward, full up, full tilt, and then fill backward, full down, and full recline. Now seat side arrows and automatic movement using metal seat side release work as new.
Yes, this is the correct procedure.