Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Lars_Tempest is on a distinguished road
GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery

Dear All,
Following weak battery (being replaced - recomendation for OEM like battery wanted), the driver's seat (UK RHD) is stuck in backward position. All buttons working except running forward - any tip on how to wake up the thing with a reset? Supposed to be one similar to the windows re-learn am i right?

And, re the windows sequence, is the correct sequence RH front - LH Front - LH Rear - RH rear ? Or is there a difference between RHD and LHD cars (wouldn't think so)?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Hi again, Bit surprised that nobody has had an issue with driver's seat controls or motor.. seems this could be more than just reset / reprogram issue though since that seems to involve moving the seat through the extreme positions to re-learn the ranges..
SO: My drivers seat simply won't move forward. Everything else works. Could be a control unit malfunction, seat motor issue or ..? Any ideas ? Any pointers how to access the units under seat, how to get the seat forward, how to remove the seat for a proper test etc?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Lars.

Have you tried the arrowed buttons at the top of the seat back. Might be worth a go.
You could also try pressing buttons 1 2 3 to see if it moves. Other than that I can't advise.

Les.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 AM
Thanks Les,
Yes, again the forward "arrow" button does nothing.. Almost as if a connection came off or something, some kind of circuit problem..The memory buttons work, but again with the exception of driving the seat forward. Very strange..happened in connection with low power on battery (now replaced), but looks increasingly like a coincidence..therefore now also a quesiton of how to service the seat operation (control unit / motor), and surely there must be a way to manually get the seat more forward.. Anyone?

Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lars_Tempest
Very strange..happened in connection with low power on battery (now replaced), but looks increasingly like a coincidence..therefore now also a quesiton of how to service the seat operation (control unit / motor), and surely there must be a way to manually get the seat more forward.. Anyone?
Hello Lars,

Did you try disconnecting the batteries again, also did you leave them disconnected for say 30 minutes?

As far as your comment "and surely there must be a way to manually get the seat more forward..", YES there is, BUT it will NOT be easy, you would lift the seat upward to the highest position front and back, next pop off the black plastic cover for the seat module (front of seat), now it is time for you to determine if it is a switch, the module, or the forward/reverse electric motor, the F/R motor is the one by itself on one side, meaning you will see 2 motors on one side and one on the other, (being you are RHD, and we are talking about your driver seat, it should be the one closest to the console) you should first while holding the switch in the forward position tap on the motor with a metal object and see if you get any movement, like on an old engine starter motor, ALSO I should have asked this first, BUT do you hear any sounds at the bottom of the seat when putting the switch in either forward or reverse position, as in clicking or clunking, if no go still, you can disconnect the module plugs on both sides, being there are plugs on both the front and back of the module, check all connection to be clean, and reconnect and test, OR this is up to you, while the module is out of your way you can access the 5 wire plug for the F/R motor and apply power to 2 of the 5 wires,+/-, AGAIN this is up to you to figure out, NOW if the motor is indeed shot, then the only way to move the seat forward or back is to remove the motor while the seat is bolted down, and here is why, as with my rebuild the electric motors were shot from water damage and the seats were stuck in their positions, the problem is when the F/R motor does not function you cannot access the bolts and nuts that hold the seat down, SO here is what I did, I learned on the drivers seat (USA LHD) destroying the F/R motor/transmission assembly as I just wanted the seat frame out, (and the motor/trans is still on EBay cheap) I then saw how I could remove the other with no damage, I removed the F/R motor held in by two 25 torx screws and inserted a old speedometer cable into the F/R transmission, and the other end into a screw gun, that allowed me to move the seat F/R with no problems, NOW getting to those 2 torx screws is a royal PITA, but doable.

Good Luck !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-BENTLEY-C...pXvJ8z&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400731434723?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	521.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	459405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_105348.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	459406  

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 09-20-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi Johnny,
Many thanks, that is very helpful and good direction. OK I will start by disconnecting negative on both batteries - starter battery first off and last on I seem to recall...and leave a few hours. Waiting now...
As for "clicking in" - yes operating both the main control and the arrow buttons on top of backrest you hear a clear "click" from pressing backward movement (the seat would probably move too if not already furthest back position), BUT no click and no sign of life when operating / pressing forward buttons.. What does that tell us ?

Also, is there a trick to the lock on the plastic cover under front of seat ..I've tried lifting two "click-in fasteners" simultaneously, but the plastic doesn't come off with careful force (don;t want to break anything - plastic can be brittle)..

Looks like slim hands needed to get to the motor.. and speedo wire..

Thx Lars

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 09-21-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 AM
UPDATE:
So disconnecting both batteries for a few hours had no effect at all. I did manage to get the tight plastic cover off though, to reveal lots of cable connections..
As for "clicking in" - operating both the main control and the arrow buttons on top of backrest you hear a clear "click" from pressing backward movement (the seat would probably move too if not already furthest back position), BUT no click and no sign of life when operating / pressing forward buttons.. What does that tell us ?

And, the F/R motor/transmission being towards the rear of the seat, I cannot even see it from the front (at least not without removing the connections boxes in front...how to actually get to the motor seems a bit of a challenge.. Is there a control module that could perhaps be faulty and could be more easily accessible? With the motor itself, given that it is operating taking the seat rearwards, and that the unit "clicks in" on "rearwards command" but no click is heard for "forwards command"..doesn't that indicate a relay or module issue rather than motor itself (and why would it blow just like that, and one direction only)? Perhaps it is time for a trip to the dealer to see what they have to say..

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 09-21-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear this. Am sure you checked fuses and such.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Lars,

I went out and pulled my cover off to expose the control module because while I was out last night I had a thought and now see you had the same, the "RELAY", So I moved my seat forward and back and could only hear a slight clicking, and that clicking was from the control module itself not the relay, so I felt the relay while switching between F/R and nothing, no feeling of click, SO I pulled it out (PITA) and guess what, all other functions still work except F/R, but I can still hear the slight clicking for reverse but no movement of F/R with the relay out....

The GREEN RELAY location can be seen in the prior posted picture of the seat lying on it's back, and here is the relay pulled.

Also for future knowledge the F/R trans/motor is in the middle, the trans/motor towards the rear lifts the rear of the seat up & down, as does the trans/motor towards the front does the same for the front of the seat.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_144227.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	459516   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat relay.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	647.7 KB
ID:	459519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_144048.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	459520   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_144105.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	459521  
Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Hello Johnny,

Many thanks this is most helpful ! Thanks also for the PM, you're right I didn't notice your update..That relay is about $10 on ebay...wonder what multiple Bentley would charge..
Am suspecting that this could be a faulty relay or module issue (or am I hoping that...those "normal cars" with a mechanical release for forward backward movement make so much sense right now ..could get the seat out..
Anyway will pursue this issue tomorrow and revert. Any idea how to measure a faulty relay, i.e. how should a healthy one show up?

Cheers Steven, yes fuses are OK..and should be one fuse for the seat so given most functions work.. very strange the whole thing. The seat, and the boot latch both started acting up at same time..clearly electrical gremlins, but to find the source..Seems triggered by low battery now replaced.

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 09-22-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Lars.

Why not try the relay from the other seat. Seems the easy option to me.

Les.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Hi Les,

Thanks, agree and yes I will do that .. just been away a couple days..not dead easy to get to these without the seat unbolted..

Lars

Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Hi Les,

not dead easy to get to these without the seat unbolted..

Lars
+1 !

I would NOT take the relay from the other seat, it is a PITB's to pull out as it has two locking clips of the sides of it that risk breaking, just pick up a relay of the same design from parts store to test.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Hi Les,

Thanks, agree and yes I will do that .. just been away a couple days..not dead easy to get to these without the seat unbolted..

Lars
Hello Lars,

How did you make out with the seat ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery