Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Window going up slow near the top - Motor or Regulator?

Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Window going up slow near the top - Motor or Regulator?

Hi,

I recently took apart my door to remove the mirror. I'm not sure if I broke something during the process but the passenger window now goes up slowly near the top. The down motion works fine.

I've double-checked there is no obstruction. The window seems to struggle to go up near the top. After few cycles, the motor gets really hot and shuts off for awhile before I can operate it again.

I did a visual inspection of the regulator assembly and nothing seems out of ordinary.

Does this seem like a motor issue or regulator issue?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
I found the problem: one of the pulley wheels of the regulator is snapped in half so the steel cable is not able to move smoothly.

See the below pictures. I wonder if I can purchase replacement wheels rather than the entire regulator assembly.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:13 AM
shabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Would the two parts of the snapped wheel not glue together perhaps?

Old 11-03-2016, 05:29 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Lilo, you are lucky that the cable didn't chew up, that's what happened to mine when I had a 500 mile trip to complete, with the window down.

I just looked at my old mechanism and the wheel shafts are peened on to the arms, so it would be difficult to replace. Plastic wheels are a naff cheap design imho.

Les.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:37 AM
HI shabs,

Unfortunately, I lost 1/4 of the wheel. It split into 3 pieces. I tossed out one of the pieces awhile ago while cleaning not knowing what it was.

HI ExSF,

Definitely, they should've went with a metal wheel. How much more cost and weight would it really add for a $200k car that weights 5500 pounds? I think the strategy is planned obsolescence. It is simply wasteful to throw away an entire assembly that costs $500 due to a broken $2 part...

I just ordered a replacement from FlyingSpare. I'm glad I found this problem because the motor was overheating due to excessive load. If the motor goes, that's another $700. The motor is integrated with the door and window control module. When motor dies, instead of replacing a relatively cheap electric motor, now you have to replace the entire module. Electrical motor is a mechanical part and prone to failure compare to PCB. As result, they should not be combined as one unit.

Last edited by lilo1980; 11-03-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I have the window frame lift assembly. While one of the wheels is broken (like yours), the other wheel is fine. We'd have to figure out how to remove it from my assembly and install it on yours. It might be worth a shot? I also have a spare motor although I don't know if it is working. I left you a voicemail with my number. As you know, we are in the same city. Also, did you check with Johnny Hotspur on the forum? He has lots of bits and pieces for sale.

Last edited by PMS; 11-03-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.