Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Battery issues!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:19 AM
jsupstarz is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery issues!

07 gtc My battery died so I did the emergency start procedure, when I came to the car there was nothing on no lights door wouldn't unlock, alarm off , just completely dead. I did the emergency start procedure. It started ! I had every alarm in the car going off, roof fault , anti theft going off, all kind of failures. But after letting run for 10 minutes they all went away. I drove the car for about 30-45 minutes. I'm afraid to go back tomorrow and find batteries dead again . So I bought a ctek 3300 battery tender/charger. FYI car was not driven For only 4 days. So which battery does the tender go on the left main? How does it work? What do I need to be doing to prevent any damage to the car e.g. Starter etc

Last edited by jsupstarz; 01-02-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Adding model
Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I put my Ctek on the left hand main battery if needed.
If your battery was fully charged then 4 days could indicate a battery on it's way out.
Good luck with it.

Les.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jsupstarz
07 gtc My battery died so I did the emergency start procedure, when I came to the car there was nothing on no lights door wouldn't unlock, alarm off , just completely dead. I did the emergency start procedure. It started ! I had every alarm in the car going off, roof fault , anti theft going off, all kind of failures. But after letting run for 10 minutes they all went away. I drove the car for about 30-45 minutes. I'm afraid to go back tomorrow and find batteries dead again . So I bought a ctek 3300 battery tender/charger. FYI car was not driven For only 4 days. So which battery does the tender go on the left main? How does it work? What do I need to be doing to prevent any damage to the car e.g. Starter etc
I would suggest that you replace the left battery ASAP. It is now 10 plus years old. The problem with using the emergency start procedure is that the alternator runs at full capacity trying to bring the battery back to a full charge condition. An alternator is designed to maintain the charging system while driving. Using it to charge a dead battery can cause it to over heat and fail. The batteries are not that difficult to replace. It can be done DYI with the owners manual and reference of this 6 speed site. You can purchase the battery at your local VW Dealer. The left one is rather expensive. It is a deep cycle type.

Ron

Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
I would suggest that you replace the left battery ASAP. It is now 10 plus years old. The problem with using the emergency start procedure is that the alternator runs at full capacity trying to bring the battery back to a full charge condition. An alternator is designed to maintain the charging system while driving. Using it to charge a dead battery can cause it to over heat and fail. The batteries are not that difficult to replace. It can be done DYI with the owners manual and reference of this 6 speed site. You can purchase the battery at your local VW Dealer. The left one is rather expensive. It is a deep cycle type.

Ron
Good advice Ron.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...new member needs help....2010 Speed...my fault, had no way to keep up charge on battery...Main battery (large one on left side) went dead (3.7V)...I am carefully trying to remove battery. What is proper name for the large electric junction panel that is mounted over the front 1/4 of the Main Battery....I have proceeded very slow and careful, never having done this before on a Bentley. From prior excellent info on this site, I detached the ground on the Starter Battery (right side), then detached ground on Main. Here is where I am stuck, I cannot see how to detach the positive post, I have unscrewed the captive bolt that appears to be on or near the positive post...While the previously mentioned large black plastic junction panel seems loose, I cannot see how to remove it. After it is removed, are there any other devices that lock the large battery in its place...Any help will be greatly appreciated, because being cautious, I am stuck...

Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....has any of you guys done a complete r/r on the Main battery (left side)...my car is a 2010 Speed...I have done all the prep work all wires/cables are tied off out of way...the battery is loose...there is just not enough clearance to lift out of well, without removing the fuse/relay panel above the battery...I would like to hear from anyone who has actually done job...JimB

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.