Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Steering Wheel Heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Steering Wheel Heater

Bought my used CGT in the summer. While testing all the systems it seemed to me that the steering wheel heater didn't work. The dealer mechanic couldn't see how to fix it and wanted a few more hours to mess around. So I skipped it.

Now that its winter I tried it on a day when my hands were cold from golfing and it did seem the steering wheel warmed up somewhat. Definitely didn't get really warm like the seat heaters.

How well does your steering wheel heater work?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Mine doesn't get hot, just warm. But warm enough to take the chill off.

Les.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
Is there a switch for the steering wheel heater? I have a 2006 cgt and don't know if I have the option --- no warm steering wheel on those cold (36 degree F) San Francisco mornings. I got used to the Mercedes CL600 warm wheel and I know 36 is balmy in many parts of the world.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cl600bill
Is there a switch for the steering wheel heater? I have a 2006 cgt and don't know if I have the option --- no warm steering wheel on those cold (36 degree F) San Francisco mornings. I got used to the Mercedes CL600 warm wheel and I know 36 is balmy in many parts of the world.
The steering wheel heater is activated when the drivers seat is set to heat on.

EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED, I WAS THINKING OF THE WRONG VEHICLE, AUDI A8L W12 IS WITH THE SEAT, BENTLEY IS A EXSF STATED BELOW, BUTTON ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE STEERING WHEEL.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-21-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I think I do not have the option. I usually keep the driver's seat heat on #2 or 3 even though outside temp rarely falls below 40F in winter. Guess I'll just keep gloves in the car, the first time I'll make use of the glove box for it's originally intended purpose

Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
On a 2005 CGI, the steering wheel heater is on the right side of the steering wheel hub. It is a very small button. You will get a message on the dip screen.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
On my LHD 2008 CGT is on the left steering wheel spoke. Square button. DIC does light up with a green steering wheel icon and tells you the heater is on. The 5 position seat heater is on the console.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Many thanks for all the replies. I've concluded I just don't have the option. Based on your replies it seems some years the button is on the left steering wheel spoke, it is automatic when seat heaters are activated or according to my owner's manual it is on the right spoke near the radio volume down button. I don't see it anywhere and anyway I guess it is sort of a nonessential feature except on those rare cold mornings in San Francisco. I say nonessential mainly because I don't have it

Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I can't speak for US models but my heated steering wheel works whether the heated seats are on or off.
Here is a picture showing the location on a UK car. It's the small round button.
Sorry about the focus.

Last edited by ExSF; 01-23-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Don't have a button on the right spoke so no heated wheel. Did discover a button on the side of the left spoke -- it turns off and on the backlights on the spokes indicating cruise control settings, radio volume , etc. Haven't found a use for that but if anyone doesn't have those things backlit, that is the hard to see button that will "enlighten" you. Recently learned on this forum that I could turn on the radio by hitting the volume up button on the right spoke -- rather useful, actually.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:58 AM
Probably me that mentioned that Bill. I only found out recently that the steering wheel volume button switched the radio on after owning the car for over 3 years!
I wonder if there's anything else I've yet to discover.

Les.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....i was going to say something about steering wheel heaters, what ever they are, but if you can't say something nice better not to say...jim b

Old 01-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Jim, thanks for chiming in on the steering wheel heater. Based on your comment you probably had no reason to include that option in your order since you are in California. I noted in one of your other posts your adventure installing the two new batteries. It likely feels good to have done it yourself. I considered that but changed my mind when I removed the covers. I discovered an indie service -- Roselli Foreign Car Service in San Jose who I found to be a good alternative to the dealers. They replaced both VARTA batteries with proper Interstates for just over $500 including labor. It took about 30 minutes to remove and replace and another 30 minutes to reset some codes. This may be too far for you to go for service but I post this in case other owners in the SF Bay Area are looking for alternatives. The shop and technicians are neat and clean and the place was full of Ferarris, Lambos, Porsches, Mercedes, etc. The shop is run by the son of the original owner and the son's mother who handles the office. I saw 5 or 6 technicians while I was there. I can recommend based on my experience.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 AM
thank you for excellent post, its 1am and going down to garage to wrestle with the bear some more...more on it later jim b

Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 AM
.......next thing I will learn how to put up the many pictures I have taken in this procedure r/r the main battery. Just had a little victory. As previously stated you do have to pull the fuse/relay panel and the black plastic enclosure box in order to get clearance to get the bat up out of the well. Removing that box is no small feat (the first time) even with excellent help by "Johnny" from NJ it took me 2 hours and lots of frustration to find the 2 nuts up top (keep in mind your working upside down) and the 2 nuts are well hidden. Having done it now I can do it in 5 minutes. Then after you remove the 3 nuts it's still hung up and won't come out.
With flashlight and mirror you see the two plastic wire harness anchors that are attached to back of the box...thats another story...later....I do appreciate your reference to San Jose Shop...We do need good indie shops as alternative, you know what I mean... Jimb

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Heater