Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

First time ever starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:52 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
First time ever starting problem

Has anyone ever experienced this. Shortly after having refueled I stopped for grocery shopping and when I tried to start the car with keyless start button it started and immediately stalled. I tried 4 or 5 more times and if I stepped on the accelerator it would just stall again. On the next try it started normally. Each time it failed to start several lights lit on the console including EPC -- it may be the normal indications that all come on when starting and then go off when stating occurs. Anyway it was panic time, not only getting home with frozen food groceries but seeing all the Lexus, Audi, Chrysler minivans and Toyotas gloating as the Bentley was being hoisted on to the flatbed tow truck in the parking lot (or car park) if it hadn't finally started. Could this be a fuel injection problem or ??

Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Check your oil filler cap is on correctly.
I don't know the score with a Bentley but on my supercharged Jag XJR, if the cap wasn't on, the engine wouldn't stay running.

Les.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM
GLENNPOWER is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the engine starting and instantly dying? it sounds like an immobiliser shut off if so.

you see this on the VW group vehicles when the keys aren't recognised or even if their is a problem with the KESSY.

we could have an issue with a fuel pump too but that would give you a normal(ish) start then cut off (after the lines were drained) and then no start.

have you had any computer diagnostic with the OBD socket yet? if so throw the codes at us and maybe we can start there?

good luck.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cl600bill
Has anyone ever experienced this. Shortly after having refueled I stopped for grocery shopping and when I tried to start the car with keyless start button it started and immediately stalled. I tried 4 or 5 more times and if I stepped on the accelerator it would just stall again. On the next try it started normally. Each time it failed to start several lights lit on the console including EPC -- it may be the normal indications that all come on when starting and then go off when stating occurs. Anyway it was panic time, not only getting home with frozen food groceries but seeing all the Lexus, Audi, Chrysler minivans and Toyotas gloating as the Bentley was being hoisted on to the flatbed tow truck in the parking lot (or car park) if it hadn't finally started. Could this be a fuel injection problem or ??
Check out this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-when-hot.html. My symptoms were different than the ones you describe, but this thread may be of help as you try to diagnose your problem

Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=GLENNPOWER;4598768]Is the engine starting and instantly dying? it sounds like an immobiliser shut off if so.

you see this on the VW group vehicles when the keys aren't recognised or even if their is a problem with the KESSY.

we could have an issue with a fuel pump too but that would give you a normal(ish) start then cut off (after the lines were drained) and then no start.

have you had any computer diagnostic with the OBD socket yet? if so throw the codes at us and maybe we can start there?

good luck.

Thanks for the comments. The engine died instantly after 1 or 2 seconds. I was using the start/stop button with the key in my pocket. The starter turned over fine. Has not happened since. Occasionally, after filling the tank the Check Engine light comes on even though I tighten the cap 3 or 4 clicks. In a day or 2 it goes off by itself.
Occasionally, I also get the Key Not Recognized warning but then it starts OK on third or fourth try.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Just for the heck of it, make sure the battery in the key is new.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Just for the heck of it, make sure the battery in the key is new.
Good suggestion and a reminder. No problems with keyless entry or starting issues other than that one time but key batteries are over 2 years old so will get some new ones. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.