Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Windscreen replaced - Rain Sensor doesn't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
alwaysurfing is an unknown quantity at this point
Windscreen replaced - Rain Sensor doesn't work

Hi all

Have a 2005 GT - Windscreen replaced by a green tint - only thing manufactured now. Bought a new rain sensor for the green tinted screen.

But the new sensor has clips.
The original rain sensor has no clips.

Where do I get a bracket from as Bentley don't do them and the screen people say screen is as original standard - accept not IR !!

i seem to be stuck?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
windscreen replaced with green glass

I had the ir windshield and was told that i had ordered another ir glass. when it came it was green it did include the Rain sensor. i had purschased a
rainsensor as well which i sent back for a refund. my senor works but not like the ir one did. i believe its a rain sensor and light sensor. look at your infotainment lighting at night probally not as bright as it use to be. i put my car on vag com and it says rain/light sensor not coded (or something to that effect) i really miss the look of the ir... i still have my old sensor but i think itb was stuck on with some type or black ruber like adhesive/glue.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:26 AM
alwaysurfing is an unknown quantity at this point
No-one going to believe this!
Screen guy turns up - has a Bentley part - for the green tint screen - as I supplied - with clips....

So he takes the clips off - and it fits perfectly .....
Really, I couldn't believe it.

So there we go.

Bentley didn't know this, the first three screen fitters didn't know this and now we all do....

.... as for me couldn't be happier - new screen, Bentley rain and light sensor --- all good and now a £289.00 refund

What a day

Old 02-19-2017, 03:01 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Nice one. Glad you're all sorted.

Les.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:41 AM
Stevieshutts will become famous soon enoughStevieshutts will become famous soon enough
I've just been through a significant amount of faffing over rain sensors and IR screens. When I bought my 06 car, the wipers didn't work properly on automatic (they behaved like intermittent wipers, but not rain sensing), so I bought a replacement sensor (Part No 3W0-955-559) - it still didn't work. I then tried a second hand sensor from a VW Phaeton, which worked perfectly, but the headlights stayed on all the time (it turns out there is no light sensor in the Phaeton, just a rain sensor, even though he module looks identical). When I looked into why the Phaeton unit did sense rain and the Bentley one didn't, the only key difference was the optional IR screen on the Bentley.
When i looked at the windscreen on my car - no Bentley logo, so I guess the screen has been changed at some point, and I guessed that the IR option was not on the replacement screen.
Ross Tech helped me out with re-coding the car for a non IR screen, and pointed out that there is a different number for a non IR sensor (3W0-955-559A) , and a different code in module 38 (Roof Electronics) to tell the car what is fitted:
Coding: [0002461] = "IR Windscreen Fitted"

Coding: [0002493] = "IR Windscreen NOT Fitted"​
I bought a second hand sensor for a non-IR screen and changed the code - hey presto!
With regard to the clips, the Phaeton module cam with clips, but the Bentley installation (in the mirror housing) doesn't need them and they can just be removed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.