Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Let's Talk Code Readers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
Let's Talk Code Readers

Sat. Feb. 18 2017 1:20am
....I spent all day yesterday reading up on code readers, so now I am totally confused. For now ruling out the professional VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostics System)(Vag=VWAg) it being very expensive and requiring I buy back my old IBM Microsoft Windows Based Computer. Mac apparently does not play in this space, unless I use my wife's Apple Laptop with Windows installed and she won't let me mess with her computer...Hmmm, I should check into that...
....What is out there in the mid range price point, say $300 or less, that is reliable and has Bi-Directional (able to instruct as well as record existing history) capability....
....Other recommendations for a reliable, preferably USA made, basic code reader for under $100...for us novices....

Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 AM
....many out there are new at this like me, no clue about Code Readers etc...to save a little time these are some basic terms used...the system is called OBD2 (On Board Diagnostics) required by law on all our cars sold in United States since 1996...I believe the purpose of original system was to track efficacy of The Emissions Control Systems...
....To access the recorded data stored on the system there is an electronic connection receptacle called DLC (Data Link Connector) it must be located within three (3) feet of driver. On our Bentleys that is under dash next to Center Console. The Scanner Device or Code Reader attaches to the DLC and reads the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) This Code System is Generic and Universal, the same on all make cars. Having a Trouble Code indication is just step one in the process of identifying and correcting a problem...
.....There are hundreds of Code Readers on the market....they range in price from $15 to $5000....the normal rule applies...you get what you pay for...
.....We request that the more knowledgable members contribute guidance in this area....JimB

Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jim2331
This Code System is Generic and Universal, the same on all make cars.
JimB

Hello Jim,
Actually this is not the case, our VAG vehicles use "P1-P2-P3" codes also, so a VAG reader is way more informative then a generic or universal "P0" reader.

I have the Ross-Tech HEX-CAN cable ($350) with unlimited VIN #'s, but that cable has been replaced with newer models that have choices of up to 3 VIN's ($200), 10 VIN's ($300), or the new wireless "HEX-NET" 10 VIN's ($450) or HEX-NET Pro unlimited VIN's ($600).

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/vcds/

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/dtc-comparison.html

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry:Fault_Codes

http://dtcsearch.planetvag.com/

"
VAG-COM-FAQ-1.10

From Ross-Tech Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
1.10 What's the difference between VAG-COM and an OBD-II Scan-Tool?
OBD-II is a government mandated diagnostic protocol that is primarily aimed at diagnosing emissions-related problems. An OBD-II scan tool will work in many different brands of cars. VAG-COM uses VW's proprietary diagnostic protocol and will only work in VW/Audi vehicles. Although you can use an OBD-II Scan Tool in an OBD-II compliant (1996 or newer) VW or Audi, an OBD-II Scan Tool can only talk to the engine, not the numerous other "intelligent" systems in the car. Want to reprogram your central locks or your Radio? Diagnose a problem with your ABS, Airbags, or Automatic Transmission? Re-align your Immobilizer after swapping ECU's? Reset your Service Reminder Indicators? Communicate with a pre-1996 model (not OBD-II compliant) car? An OBD-II Scan-Tool can't do any of these things. Please see our OBD-II Page for information on using third party generic OBD-II software through our Interface. Want some reasons to choose VAG-COM over a generic OBD-II scan tool? See this Real World Comparison.
Our latest version of VAG-COM adds Generic OBD-II functionality, see the Download Page for more info."

Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Hello and Thanks Johnny
....Most of us out here are Bentley owners who probably own other cars. In my case a Lexus and Volvo C30. I for one would only be interrogating, working on my own cars...I would probably get the VCDS Hex-V2 for $200, understanding that most features only apply to Bentley with somewhat less to other two cars...do i understand correct, when I replace one of the two other cars, it would still work on the new car (not planning on replacing B)
....Now my hangup is the Windows Computer thing...while I do not own a laptop nor a cell phone and not planning on getting either, my wife's Apple Lap top has Windows installed...I understand that might work...what do you think...JimB

Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM
....Just answered my own question....Quote from Ross-Tech....
"Windows run on Virtual Machine (MAC) not supported"....
Guess I'll be passing on whole deal for now...JimB

Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Jim.

I bought an Autel MOT Pro when I had my Jaguar XJR. It works on just about any car including my Volvo V70 & my Bentley GT.

It is so good at diagnosing the Bentley that it told me my front left bass speaker was faulty. Sure enough, it was, so I replaced both fronts with upgraded speakers.

As Johnny says, it won't reset stuff like ecu's or what have you but it's great for find and fix it yourself stuff. I've used it to re-calibrate the park brake on both the Jag and the Bentley and to clear the check engine light.

Here's a link; https://www.autel.uk/products/mid-range-tools/mot-pro/

Beware, there fakes out there too!!!

Les.

Last edited by ExSF; 02-22-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
...thank you SF...I have been deeply emersed in research on Code Readers today including calls to Ross-tech...as soon as I can assimilate and verify the information I will put it up...Thanks Again to Johnny also...JimB

Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM
...SF...Just reading up on Autel MD802 Maxi Elite being sold on Amazon for $179...the unit seems to get very good user reviews...you seem to very pleased with your experience...what year is your B...mine is 10Speed...I really need help understanding the computer requirements...am I correct that to get best function I need a microsoft windows computer (that I would have to buy also) Thank you for your experience with Autel...also...if I got one from Amazon direct would that normally be authentic and not a knock off...JimB

Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Jim.

It's hard to say if those on Amazon or eBay are genuine.
I got mine direct from Autel UK.
There is no need for a computer with mine, all of the info' is on it's own screen.
My GT is a 2004 but I have fitted V8S alloys which look a lot nicer and are easier to clean than the original split rims.

Les.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
....progressing on the code reader hobby...I am amazed that you can purchase a new Lenovo Lap Top with Windows 10 for $350...IBM sold them their Lap Top operation 10 years ago....Should arrive later today...as to the reader...went with the Autel MD802...Amazon $175...hopefully this will do Volvo and Lexus with some Bentley...it is not Bi-directional but that should keep me out of trouble...after some familiarity I may add the Ross Vag tool
for the 10Speed...the amazing new world...next thing I might get a cell phone...the Ludite in me says...Et Tu Brutus...JimB

Old 02-27-2017, 04:44 AM
My Autel is good Jim. It covers all cars, even Bugatti and yes, my Bentley & Volvo.

Good luck with it.

Do bear in mind that a scan of the Volvo will take a couple of minutes. However,
a full scan of the Bentley will take around 15 minutes.

Les.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 AM
thank you SF...just got the unit...now waiting for the Windows Lap Top to download latest software...a number of people advised against using CD that comes with unit...JimB

Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jim2331
thank you SF...just got the unit...now waiting for the Windows Lap Top to download latest software...a number of people advised against using CD that comes with unit...JimB
Good morning Jim,
You are up at 3:00 AM like a young child playing with a new toy.....

One thing to note, please tell us what software you are waiting to finish downloading, if it is for the code reader please careful it is not a clone, if it came with a plain faced CD with hand written info it may be a clone (fake), if that is the case then if you update the code reader online to the real updated software, the unit will not work most likely, just like Ross-Tech cable clones are sold online with a supplied CD, if the buyer goes online for the official software it will kill the cable, that's why it is best to buy legit from authorized seller, if the price is to good to be true it's a fake......
Let's hope that is not your case.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 AM
...Hello Johnny....Monday Feb 27 2017 7:41am
...How's the engine install coming, let us know when it's in with pictures or is weather a factor...The Autel seems to be the real thing...we have found Amazon to be amazing, much to dismay of conventional brick/motar, but that's progress (I guess) ...
...The laptop is expected to arrive today...the latest quest is to find a way to run the Windows lap top through the I-Mac...Apple says no go...but inventive Geeks say yes...
...Yes I'm like a kid with new toy...It is relaxing compared to other projects got going...
JimB

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Daniel Clohessy is an unknown quantity at this point
VAG-COM Available for use

For anyone in the Northeast, specifically Eastern VA or NEPA; I have VAG-COM and am willing to help out those who need to scan or re-code anything.

I keep it up to date and wouldn't mind helping others out in this area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Code Readers