Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

04 -05 bentley GT 50k miles question (need advice please)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Fonteno22 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 -05 bentley GT 50k miles question (need advice please)

good afternoon just like most of you were at one point i'm on the hunt for a 04-05 bentley gt i mostly see them for a good price but around the 50k mile range so my question is how's been your bentley maintenance for those who use a indy shop or mechanic can u touch on how much the price difference was on that also i live in the NY area so could any one feel free to provide any good bentley indy shop or mechanic keep in mind i also have found a site that will provide the parts from over seas but please give me feed back or point me in the right direction far as a good indy / mechanic goes it will be much appreciated

Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fonteno22
point me in the right direction far as a good indy / mechanic goes it will be much appreciated

This man knows his trade !!

Jason Giannetti Factory Trained Bentley-Lamborghini-Porsche Technician
375-377 Sheffield Ave. West Babylon NY 11704

Call Jason at 1-631-587-0268 Shop phone

Cell 1-516-398-2016 to text

https://www.instagram.com/giannettiperformance/?hl=en

Attached Images    

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-02-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Price should be around $45k MAX for the car and that's a mint car with all service history up to date. As for cost to maintain and repair, for a Bentley you'd be wise to set aside $5k for the eventual problem and around $1k/year on average for normal bits via an independent.

FYI: Just traded a mint condition 2007 GTC and got around $50k for it. eBay asking prices are high, so you can bargain as to what a Bentley actually sells for. Thus paying around $40k for an 2004/2005 GT should be possible. Check and be sure the 'false air hose' problem just above the transmission has been replaced, it's a widely known $4k defect. Also be sure the third brake light has been replaced too.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 03-02-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:17 PM
thanks i never heard of the hose issue to now i normally no about the third break light and read a lot about the front suspension / air shocks issue but thanks for replying and really giving a break down on things

Old 03-02-2017, 02:30 PM
do y'all also think like 60k 70k miles are bad

Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
For that age, miles look fine.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM
oh ok thanks just make sure it's serviced on time and make sure the hose issue was don't and third break light

Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....looking for a 2004-2005 Bentley is a challenge...you can get seriously stuck...I would not take a chance on one on a used car lot...your best shot is a private party...of course a one owner improves your odds...if it is an honest private party...the story why selling has to sound right to you...ALL service records is very important...you must do your homework and be patient...while a convert can look great, treat with extra caution...just look good on this forum...many other people have been in your exact place...some work out and many do not....patience and caution are your best insurance to getting the right car...JimB

Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fonteno22
good afternoon just like most of you were at one point i'm on the hunt for a 04-05 bentley gt i mostly see them for a good price but around the 50k mile range so my question is how's been your bentley maintenance for those who use a indy shop or mechanic can u touch on how much the price difference was on that also i live in the NY area so could any one feel free to provide any good bentley indy shop or mechanic keep in mind i also have found a site that will provide the parts from over seas but please give me feed back or point me in the right direction far as a good indy / mechanic goes it will be much appreciated

Here is one that needs some work, $37K

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...requested.html

Old 03-03-2017, 04:56 AM
....Hello Steven...I noted you said above that pulling engine and replacing plastic hoses mounted incorrectly on top of transmission is a $4000 problem...I think that is overly optimistic...the likelihood it would be closer to $10-12,000...once engine is out on a 12 year old Bentley with dubious history, who knows what should be replaced...just want prospective buyer of older used Bentley to know downside...JimB

Old 03-06-2017, 01:42 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
I would not buy anything before 07

As alot of the issues have been addressed...

Cliff

Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Cliff has a great point, get a 2008 or newer. Think 2012 onward is better still (???? think that was V3 of them ???). As a side note, my ex's Aston Martin got hit by a flood in SoCal in 2016 so helped her pick out a 2013 GT.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 03-10-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 AM
neiloakley is on a distinguished road
Not everyone can afford a 200u or newer.

I just part exchange my 05GT towards a GTC. 2005, 84k miles and fill service history and I got £21.5k for it which was very reasonable as part ex. It will go on the forecourt at 25 or 26k.

Higher mileage is fine if the car has been well looked after and services properly. Mine has only ever been to bentley for service and no major expenses in the 5 year i owned it.

Couple of problems i had:

Usual 3rd brake light issue. Fixed myself for £180 in parts. Had to take roof lining out but is about a 4 hour job start to finish (could do it quicker if you wanted to rush)

Vacuum pump stopped working, didn't notice for 12 months. Cost £250 for dealer to supply and fit new one.

power steering pipe corroded and burst on a drive through spain to portugal. Had to pay dealer in Marbella 1500 EUR to fix, but if i had it done with service in UK it would have been £390 for parts and labour.

Front suspension wishbones, the top ones (2 either side) wear quicker than the rest. Parts are £260 each side and I managed to change one side in 45 minutes on a trolly jack on my drive.

Other than that, car has never let me down. Battery's do go flat quick if not driven so invest in a trickle charger (CTek make the Bentley ones so you can get a CTek branded one cheap and they are exactly the same as what your dealer would charge £400 for).

Hope that helps

Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 AM
...more power to you...you are fortunate to be able to do a lot of the work yourself...good luck and enjoy your Bentley...could you explain how the lack of vacuum pump did not affect the function to escape your notice...JimB

Old 03-10-2017, 03:41 PM
neiloakley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jim2331
..could you explain how the lack of vacuum pump did not affect the function to escape your notice...JimB
The brakes always worked fine. I could notice a difference with a working pump but I never ever though the brakes were under performing without it. Don't forget not all turbo cars have a vacuum pump. Most assume that you are not on the boost and trying to brake at the same time. If your foots on on the throttle then it's producing a vacuum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.