Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

06 Gt with split vac hose issues. Gonna pull eng & Repair any input??

Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Adrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud of
06 Gt with split vac hose issues. Gonna pull eng & Repair any input??

So I haven't had the car that long but is my believe the previous owner did not know about the issue. 2006 Bentley Continental GT approx 26,000 miles! So after a long hunt I decided to purchase this car because of it being super clean, clearly kept in a garage it's life, clean Carfax/service history no paint work,and it was a 06 that Should Not have splitting hose issue.... Wrong! starting I n the middle of fall time I first noticed that I pulled the car out of the garage and let it run while locked up the home occasionally it idled a touch strange. No check eng light and no other issues running. I Initially brushed it off as bad gas from a recent road trip. Then I thought it might be a possible battery issue so I swapped and put in brand-new batteries with a tender, then cane the dreaded check engine light. I purchased a rosstech cable and started down the rabbit hole. I replace both temperature senders with VW OE as one was slightly suspicious and they were inexpnsive, & coming from Audi cars I know they failrandomly and can cause odd things. But that wasent the issue. I kept getting misfire and lean bank codes for bank 1 and 1-6 cylinders. But the car ran good & it was rare for it to stumble at idle, no check engine lights. But I still knew something just wasent right. So I decided to do a smoke test. Right off the bat I knew where this was going. After pulling the driver side wheel and inner fender to gain access to the vacuum pump and reservoir I went to go pull the mainline and it was split at the end connecting to the T at the reservoir! Why do you immediate thought was cool I found it let's hope nothing else is got cracks !! Yeah right!! I almost immediately found2 more cracks at the larger plastic hoses that lead to the manifold! Then smoke coming from behind the steering rack on the passenger side! I got a inspection mirror in there and can see the hex nut looking T and the hard plastic 3/16~ line was split by at least a inch! It came off as soon as I touched it. So it looks like my low miles super clean car I paid a little extra for wasent the car I was hoping for... But she is gonna be the car!! Lol
So engine out time! I needs lift!! So I ordered my lift and I'm picking it up today. Gonna install it over the next couple of days. Then it's time to drop the engine. I have read over johnnys gt rebuild and Zoas "Pulleed my engine" thread.
I have done engine work and removals before it's just been a while lol.

The Plan... Pull the engine and replace all plastic hard lines with steel and rubber ends. Like John did on the YouTube videos. John or anybody that has pulled one before, if your out there can I pick your brain for a few minutes over the phone?? Lol
I am Not going to be changing the starter. I know it's a risk, but with the low miles and being well kept I believe it's a worthwhile risk. I think I'm going to Change the O2 sensors though. Input??

Questions I have...
Where is the best place to get O2 sensors? Specifically please. What should I be looking for as far as OE equivalent. Please give suggestions.

Where do I get the "cloth rubber hoses" and what sizes so I can order them now... for my connection ends? Where do I get the factory style crimp clamps? Amazon one I initially see saw BMW...
those that have done this any odd tools? I have the double square bit set already from my Audi days..
Oil dipstick tube??
Anything else while I have the engine out??
Yes I'm going to photo and document the repair. Hopefully it will help someone out later

Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Adrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud of
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8993.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	471923

Name:	IMG_9001.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	471924

Name:	IMG_9003.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	471925

Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM
This is the location of the split hoses going to the manifold... I haven read anything about anybody else having a split hose there.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.JPG
Views:	811
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	471927  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Adrenalinejunky
This is the location of the split hoses going to the manifold... I haven read anything about anybody else having a split hose there.
Actually, the hoses (that you identified) going to the manifold are quite commonly prone to splits and subsequent leaking. Also, hoses below and to the left of the radiator (looking at the front of the car) are also prone to leaking. Neither of these conditions require pulling the engine. However, the vac hoses on the top of the transmission (under and behind the shift mechanism) do require the engine/transmission out to be repaired.

Last edited by PMS; 03-15-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...do I understand correctly, that your 2006 GT has the hoses mounted on the transmission...if so, then I can understand pulling engine to resolve the issue...however if not mounted on trans, would you still progress pulling engine...I admire anyone who takes on such an ambitious project... JimB

Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jim2331
...do I understand correctly, that your 2006 GT has the hoses mounted on the transmission...if so, then I can understand pulling engine to resolve the issue...however if not mounted on trans, would you still progress pulling engine...I admire anyone who takes on such an ambitious project... JimB
a 2006 does have the dreaded vacuum junction mounted on the top of the transmission as noted in both Zaos and JohnnyHotspur's photos.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM
The smaller hose in the pic with the screwdriver in it showing the split is from behind the steering rack on the passenger side..... It came right off as soon as I moved it. My understanding was it is a engine out to do the ones behind the steering rack... Am I misunderstanding that? I was initially debating which vac line set up I had with it being a 06..... You can see in the pic with the manifolds there are the lines and vac system behind the manifolds. It first appears like the updated ones or what's on the flying spur.... Can somebody confirm that this does indeed have the vac set up on the transmission. Basically there are very few of these in my area so I'm going off mostly pics and info from this site.

Last edited by Adrenalinejunky; 03-15-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Both pics are from Zoas thread... the first pic is where I found the smaller split line. I had to use a inspection mirror and smoke test. It was clearly split, it came off as soon as I was able to reach it, that's why it is out... it is the smaller line pictured in My thread.
The second pic also from Zoas pic that shows the "updated location and the Flying spur location" it I itialky looks like the same vac modules in my car... but everything I have read says my vac lines are on top of the tranny... I'm not right in front of the car this minuite to take a additional pic. Thanks guys!

Name:	IMG_9004.PNG
Views:	1245
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	471928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9005.PNG
Views:	1300
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	471929  
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adrenalinejunky
Both pics are from Zoas thread... the first pic is where I found the smaller split line. I had to use a inspection mirror and smoke test. It was clearly split, it came off as soon as I was able to reach it, that's why it is out... it is the smaller line pictured in My thread.
The second pic also from Zoas pic that shows the "updated location and the Flying spur location" it I itialky looks like the same vac modules in my car... but everything I have read says my vac lines are on top of the tranny... I'm not right in front of the car this minuite to take a additional pic. Thanks guys!
Hello AJ,

I believe you are referring to my picture of the updated GT or FS setup, in my picture you reference you will see one of the gray electric vacuum solenoids that control vacuum flow that I have outlined in a yellow oblong, and as I CAN see the same in your picture, you have one of the same solenoids visible, you DO HAVE the updated version, and therefore NO lines on top of your transmission, as far as replacing the vacuum lines by the rack, someone on here has stated that they in-fact replace said lines without removing the engine/trans package.

Name:	s-l1600lllkjjj.jpg
Views:	1920
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	471966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	858.0 KB
ID:	471967  

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-22-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMS
a 2006 does have the dreaded vacuum junction mounted on the top of the transmission as noted in both Zaos and JohnnyHotspur's photos.
Hello Peter,

Unless it is a late 06, from what I have gathered some late 06's into 07 had the relocation of vacuum circuit and solenoids to the rear of in-take manifold, I know of some on here with 07's have stated they have had or the previous owner had the engine pulled at the dealer to have the "lines on top of transmission replaced", BUT did they actually see the lines on the top of said 07 transmission, or is it just an assumption that because the engine was pulled to repair a vacuum leak some automatically think it's the lines on top of the transmission, even though there are no lines located there....

As others whom work in the shops have stated, the dealer will still pull the engine/trans package to replace the vacuum lines that run along the bulkhead (rack area).

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-15-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Administrator
See link.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...an-idle-2.html

Name:	Capturefsrack.PNG
Views:	482
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	471990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturefsrack2.PNG
Views:	364
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	471991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturefsrack3.PNG
Views:	351
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	471992  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM
I guess that's a good thing I have the "updated version". I didn't do much with the car today. I picked up my lift and started assmbly on it. I built the garage in our new home specifically around having a lift with high walls & vaulted ceiling. So this was just my excuse to finally get it and get it put up after a year of having the house finished... But back to the Bentley, is there much info out there on pulling the steering rack? It is crazy tight in there. Plus what "other lines" should I be inspecting before I decide if the steering rack trick is gonna be the route to go? Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Here's my only progress for the day, the lift mid assembly in our garage. Think it will be enough capacity???? Lol 10k Yes I know our garage is still messy from the move and downsizing our home. But I have a couple more enclosed metal cabinets that should tidy things up.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-01-2021 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Rotation of photos
Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM
PMS
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Peter,

Unless it is a late 06, from what I have gathered some late 06's into 07 had the relocation of vacuum circuit and solenoids to the rear of in-take manifold, I know of some on here with 07's have stated they have had or the previous owner had the engine pulled at the dealer to have the "lines on top of transmission replaced", BUT did they actually see the lines on the top of said 07 transmission, or is it just an assumption that because the engine was pulled to repair a vacuum leak some automatically think it's the lines on top of the transmission, even though there are no lines located there....

As others whom work in the shops have stated, the dealer will still pull the engine/trans package to replace the vacuum lines that run along the bulkhead (rack area).

Johnny, thanks for that clarification. I have seen three 2006 BCGT with the vac hoses above the transmission and just assumed ALL 2006's used the same configuration.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....Hello (person with lift in garage)...sorry I have problem with name...but what's in a name...how is your 06 project coming along...did you decide to pull engine....Jim in San Francisco

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: 06 Gt with split vac hose issues. Gonna pull eng & Repair any input??