Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between 2009 Boxster S and Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Jacques79 is on a distinguished road
Question Difference between 2009 Boxster S and Cayman S?

Can someone explain to me what makes the Cayman S have 10 more HP and 8 more pound-feet of torque than the Boxster S?

Is it the ECU, intake, exhaust or something?

I know the Cayman is more expensive, but this is ridiculous. Did Porsche think Cayman S owners would feel that much better because their more expensive car has 10 more HP?

Would it have really hurt Cayman S sales to give the Boxster S the same amount of HP?

I know 10 HP is nothing, but I'm just pissed because this car really interests me and it's kind of annoying that it doesn't get the exact same powerplant as its twin...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
djmiroku is on a distinguished road
It certainly appears to be a marketing department decision. I wonder if an ECU tweak would let the Boxster S get it's 10 more HP.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Crazed1 is on a distinguished road
Could very well have exactly the same powerplant, ECU, etc and Porsche is merely understating the HP.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldnt doubt if it everything is the same they just said it has less power.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
What a marketing conundrum the Cayman has been for Porsche. First came the Boxster...a capable and wonderful roadster. But it always had less displacement engines then the fabled 911, and consequently far less power. Then the engineers designed the Cayman off of the Boxster chassis and gave it larger more powerful engines. So...naturally, they had to charge more for the car. Then the larger engines were made available in the Boxster, but it weighs a bit more then the Cayman and the chassis is also not quite as rigid so it doesn't handle quite as good as the Cayman. So, I would argue that the Cayman is probably cheaper to build then the Boxster since it doesn't include the complicated convertible top with cabling, motor, wiring and switch. BUT...Porsche knows that the Cayman is a GREAT performing car, and given a few modifications, can run with and even best a Carrera on tighter tracks...

So...it MUST cost more then a Boxster. My guess is that Porsche is trying to seperate the Cayman and Boxster once again so they can justify charging more for the Cayman.

My .02 cents anyway...

Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Yup,
Porsche marketing and sales puffery to justify a higher price. Same as the US spec speedometer that is designed to read 5-10mph higher than actual speed. Just ignore the spec sheets and go drive the cars. They are both great cars.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
The mid engine car is far superior to the rear engine in handling. Porsche can’t seem to build a bad car, so the design had to be held back to protect the 911 and the engine and options were the way. Adding the Cayman was a good move, however it further complicates the line up.

I personally always wanted a turbo and was all set to order one, however my wife can’t ride any distance in the Turbo due to frequency of exhaust sound. There is a drone, not heard by most of us that really bothers her ears. I was looking again recently and saw a 08 RS on the floor. It intrigued my enough to ask for a test drive. Having driven and owned many cars over the years and having some more advance driver training; I said training not learning, I do have a feel for cars and how they handle. From a pure driving stand point the mid engine Porsche is one of the best driving cars available, regardless of price.

Having 2500 miles on my RS I can say that the down side is a somewhat flexible body. This is taken care of in the Cayman. On a smooth road this is not very noticeable which would lead me to choose based on hardtop vs convertible.

As for pricing, this has got to be a growing problem for Porsche. My RS had more power than the Caymans and weight difference is very little. My car having PCCB and adaptive seats, nav and most other option priced it quite high yet I still chose it over the 911. The real problem for them is trying to hold the placement of the cars in their lineup. Given the same level of parts as the 911, it wouldn’t be long before the mid engine would replace the 911 in the line up.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I must admit that I love the 911 and it's always been a car I lusted after, but I purchased the Boxster for many reasons. Wouldn't it be interesting if Porsche did build a Boxster/Cayman mid-engine car, making it all it could be with the 3.6 or 3.8 DFI engine and limited slip...wow...