Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Sump Oil Pan Spacer, when is it required?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Question Deep Sump Oil Pan Spacer, when is it required?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=ENGMECH

Do you guys think I need this if I were to only go to the track 2-3 times a year? I won't be running R compounds so it's unlikely I'll achieve high G forces. How can I tell if the engine is getting oil starvation?

And what's the difference in putting that in versus the X51 Oil Pan with Baffles??

Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
We have installed many x51 oil pans, and what it does is stop the oil from moving around inside your oil pan. Keeps the oil in more of a centralized area. The spacer will basically add a 1/4 quart of oil to your engine block.

If you were going to track your car 2-3 times a year the x51 pan to me seems like a better choice. You can always add the spacer later or vice-versa.

Let me know if you would like a shipping quote or any other information.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SuncoastRyan
We have installed many x51 oil pans, and what it does is stop the oil from moving around inside your oil pan. Keeps the oil in more of a centralized area. The spacer will basically add a 1/4 quart of oil to your engine block.

If you were going to track your car 2-3 times a year the x51 pan to me seems like a better choice. You can always add the spacer later or vice-versa.

Let me know if you would like a shipping quote or any other information.
Hey Ryan,

I'll be running about once a month at the track, and will be putting on R compounds next month. Can you give me some info on the X51?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
arenared is on a distinguished road
I was told by Suncoast last year that the X51 pan will not fit the 986 Boxster. Is that not the case (based on your reply)?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Personally, I don't think that 1/2 quart is going to make much of a difference. Also, I think there's little benefit of using an oil pan spacer when the oil pump pickup is not lowered to pickup the extra 1/2 qt of oil. LN Engineering makes an oil pump extension to use with the spacers: http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html though. I think the X51 pan (or similar) would have vastly more benefit than the pan extension, but if I could do the X51 pan, I would do both since the thing is apart anyway. On the 986, there are two oil scavenging pumps in the engine heads. One is left front, the other is right rear. Thus, oil accumulation can occur in the right front under heavy braking in a left turn. I doubt you will be able to pull enough G's acceleration to have the same in the other side of the engine. With street tires, Boxsters are capable of pulling more than 1G. It just depends on what kind of G's and how long. I don't think you'll know you have oil starvation since you don't have an oil pressure gauge, and even if you did, you'd probably not be looking at it at 1G.

Last edited by arenared; 04-17-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: I give up. Line breaks don't work.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

See those little rubber flaps hanging down? That's what makes the X51 oil pan unique, the flaps open & close during significant oil shifts. The force of the shifting oil closes the flap, and helps to keep oil in the center chamber for an extended amount of time. Since these flaps are not installed on most models, oil can rush out of the center chamber under extreme conditions and bam.......the oil pick-up tube has no oil. This piece has been very effective, and a great alternative to replacing an entire engine. Driving these cars to the extremes does have it's risks, but this should help to reduce that risk.

The X51 pan can be modified to fit most late model cars, there is an edge on the vertical bracket which has to be cut to clear the inner components (I have a templete with dimensions). A mechanic should be able to make the modifications with a grinder. It can be fitted on any Boxster, Cayman, or 1999+ Carrera (not required for Turbo, GT2, or GT3 models).

We're going to be replacing our old oil pan spacer kit with this version from Flat6 Inovations. This has the same gaskets, but also adds an oil pick-up extension. This adds more oil to the entire case, and the extension will allow for a deeper submersion of the oil pick-up. You can install this kit seperate, or in combination with the X51 oil pan for the maximum prevention.

EKAM mentioned: "How can I tell if the engine is getting oil starvation?" If you have oil starvation, I'm pretty sure that means your engine has just been destroyed. It's not a subtle thing, a pretty serious situation. Hope this info helps.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Too bad I just changed my oil! Do you have a picture of the template used to modify the X51 baffles to fit the 986S Boxster?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Email me at rknab@sunsetautogroup.com.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Gator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to beholdGator Bite is a splendid one to behold
Any improvement to the lubrication system is a smart move. Our M97s have some disappointing lubrication flaws.

I like the idea of the X-51 sump extension and baffle kit, but ultimately this is not enough for a car driven on the track with R compounds. Several people with these sump alterations have learned that the hard way.

It seems another problem is the pooling of oil in the valve covers, ultimately leading to oil starvation and a spun bearing. The new DFI engines have dual scavenging pumps in the valve covers, so this doesn't seem to be a problem for them (kind of early to tell, but theoretically this should solve the problem).

The ultimate lubrication improvement would include:
  • This sump modification
  • A modification to the scavenging system in the valve covers
  • The addition of an Accusump system
  • The addition of an Oil Pressure Guage
That's my 2 cents.

BTW - I have nothing but love for the Suncoast guys. They've taken super good care of me.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
So are we saying I'm going to have oil starvation problems if I put R-compounds on the Cayman? If so, I'll just continue to drive with the street tires.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
peter_bigblock will become famous soon enough
I've followed this issue fairly closely, I've been doing track events with street tires (Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs) and haven't had any oil consumption/smoking issues. I've been considering moving up (?) to Toyo R888s. Anyone have experience with these tires and the oiling issue? They're DOT-approved R-compound tires but not true super-sticky slicks like Hoosier R6s.

Comments, feedback, opinions?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Based on the various posts read, I think statistics leans towards increasing risk for cars running R-compounds. In fact, there is a page in the owners manual that warns against using R-compounds in our 987 cars - just looked up: Page 2 of the '07 Boxster owners' manual (same engine as Caymans):
"The fitting of racing tires (e.g. slicks) for sporting events is not approved by Porsche. Very high cornering speeds can be achieved with racing tires. However, the resulting transverse acceleration values would jeopardize the adequate supply of oil to the engine. Porsche therefore will not accept any warranty or accept any liability for damage occurring as a result of non-compliance with this provision."

FWIW, the paragraph before this one warns of "alteration of the vehicle can lead to accident and severe or fatal personal injuries". Most of us know where we stand on that.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by umwolverine
So are we saying I'm going to have oil starvation problems if I put R-compounds on the Cayman? If so, I'll just continue to drive with the street tires.
The danger zone anecdotally seems to be long sweeping banked (high G) left turns for potential starvation. Fontana Roval and Daytona are prime examples of 9X6/9X7 killers and several cars I am aware of have been killed in turn 2 at Fontana. I have run Fontana several times with no issues but I am only hitting 135 mph with R-comps in turn 2. Caymans and GT3s are probably closer to 150 mph and take high Gs through a whole new door.

I always make sure my oil level is topped off before track day and I will add an X-51 pan before my next visit to the Fontana Roval. Sometimes drivers will show up in pre-tech 1.5 qts low on oil .

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
While on the topic... found this interesting article about the x51 baffle:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d-baffles.html

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
rotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura about
Hi I am scheduled for track event at the roval on the weekend of the 20th and now I am concerned if I should back out of this event. Will adding this x51 pan assure that I will not blow my motor or is there still a risk? If i make sure to keep my mph at around 135 i should be safe? I will be on street tires.

I don't think its worth blowing my motor for this event.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
The danger zone anecdotally seems to be long sweeping banked (high G) left turns for potential starvation. Fontana Roval and Daytona are prime examples of 9X6/9X7 killers and several cars I am aware of have been killed in turn 2 at Fontana. I have run Fontana several times with no issues but I am only hitting 135 mph with R-comps in turn 2. Caymans and GT3s are probably closer to 150 mph and take high Gs through a whole new door.

I always make sure my oil level is topped off before track day and I will add an X-51 pan before my next visit to the Fontana Roval. Sometimes drivers will show up in pre-tech 1.5 qts low on oil .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deep Sump Oil Pan Spacer, when is it required?