Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC Racing ATP:2 turbo kit DIY Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
harajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the rough
Next, we installed the top hose connecting to the throttle body:

Here's what we have so far:

I think we have 1 more night into it and we should be ready to start it up.. Just need to connect all the coolant hoses at the rear, and the oil lines, and then wire up the new pumps and I think that should do it. Oh also waiting to get the ECU back from TPC Racing. Can't wait!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
hooligan317 is on a distinguished road
Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product and hear your review!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Nice work Donny!
Good amount of work involved?!

Can't wait to hear the results!

Stacy

Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Alleykat is on a distinguished road
Very nice.

What kind of numbers is the kit supposed to produce in the end?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
cant wait, the kit is 481HP@7-8psi, they have programs with more boost.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
MrSteveG is on a distinguished road
Very impressive

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porsched4ed
cant wait, the kit is 481HP@7-8psi, they have programs with more boost.
The kit is released at 5-5.5lbs boost... ~420hp to the wheels. That is what we recommend.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
porsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud ofporsched4ed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
The kit is released at 5-5.5lbs boost... ~420hp to the wheels. That is what we recommend.
oh, guess I thought wrong. oh I see 485BHP

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
harajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the roughharajuka is a jewel in the rough
So after roughly 35-40hrs were are done with the install! Were just waiting for the ecu to get back to me. We will work on getting video's once crank it up, and take it for a test spin.. Just wanted to take a sec to thank TPC Racing again for all their help, I had couple questions through the install and they were very helpful in guiding me. Also thanks again to Cheerio, for letting me use his shop for the install, I think without the lift at the shop the install just would have been so much harder. And thanks also to MoWilson for helping out!

On to pics and info..

Next well moved on to working on the vacuum lines for the system. We start by installing the short vacuum tube that attaches to the external wastegate side port and into the side of the turbo.

Next we need to reinstall the vent/vacuum hose coming from the gas tank. TPC Racing supplied the T and the check valve that will need to be used. Here's the adapther that we made.

Then we connect it up to the new supplied hose connector with a nipple fitting at the end, and then to the fuel vacuum line.

Everything on top of the engine all completed.. we double checked all the bolts to make sure we didn't miss any..

We then move on to the bottom of the engine to finish things up. We start by strapping the new vent hose to the bottom frame:

The oil return line is attached to the turbo:

and then routed to the passenger side where the new oil pump sits:

We then move to installing the coolant hoses. Sorry we just have limited photos since the process was messy with coolant.

Here's a pic of the return line which is attached to the back of the water cooler and to the inlet of the water pump.

Here's another pic showing the other lines, the line on the right in the pic is the line coming from the front radiator and back into the top of the water/air cooler.

The bottom plate is bolted back up..

Last item for the kit is to wire up the water and fuel pump. The pumps are connected to a relay and fuse and is connected directly to the starter for power, and grounded to the ecu chassis. The trigger will be the fuel pump wire.

we cut a small hole in the grommet and snaked the wires through:

The line coming from the engine bay is hooked back up to the relay inside the trunk area:

Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Image of the connectors below connecting to the water pump:

And here we are ready to roll, well sorta.. well report back once the ecu gets in and we take it for a spin

Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
MrSteveG is on a distinguished road
Good job

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, I was out driving around late last night, but we got the car running last night and what a blast!

Again, I would like to thank all the guys over at TPC Racing who has been so helpful along the way with the install. Also big thank to Ian for letting me work on the car at his shop, and Cliff for helping out!

I have to say this has been a great experience working on my own car, definitely makes you appreciate the work that you have put into it. Overall everything went really smooth, we took our time and made sure everything was done right, so overall i think it took us about 1.5-2 weeks but this is just working at night and a bit on the weekends. So for anyone who is thinking about doing their own install, I say go for it, just make sure you take your time and you have somewhat mechanical skills, and you should be good. The guys at TPC are very good at helping out along the way also!

So now on to the driving impression.. One word I would use to sum it up is WOW!. First thing the idle of the car is very smooth, just like stock pretty much. I have had turbo kits on my previous cars before and none idle'd so nicely. The exhaust note is a bit more quite than my tubi exhaust, I will miss the Tubi exhaust sound but I think I can get used to the new tpc sound Like everyone else who has posted their impression of the tpc kit, normal driving is pretty much like stock, you don't really notice you have a turbo till you really get on it. Now once you really get on it, it really pushes you back on your seat I drove it around myself initially and 2nd and 3rd gear just really pulls. In 2nd and 3rd I only pushed it up to about 6k, but man the tuning is smooth, no hickup's, or stumble's at all, Mike at TPC definitely know's what he's doing. Simply brilliant! Oh and the sound of the external waste gate letting off is great. I gave both Ian and Cliff rides so Im sure they will chime in.

So plan now is to drive it around for a week, and do a double check of all hoses clamps etc to make sure everything is good, and ill get it on the dyno to see where we stand. Ill try to get a video of the car today also. so stay tuned...

Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
VIDEO.....VIDEO.....VIDEO.....VIDEO!!!!! Can't wait......Do some shots from inside the car and outside the car for those of us who haven't seen a Cayman in action w/ a Turbo kit.

Congrats - heck of a job!!! I have to pay people to do that....hahaha

Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
you should remove the S badge and replace it with a turbo

Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
One of my fav cars on the internet. Donny, you have awesome taste bro. I am anxiously awaiting some videos/sounds clips.

Can you compare the wastegate sound to another car? Evo/Supra-ish?!

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: TPC Racing ATP:2 turbo kit DIY Install