Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Porsche Cayman basic performance mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Noffy is on a distinguished road
2007 Porsche Cayman basic performance mods

I have been browsing here and throughout the net for baisc performance modifications for my new 2007 porsche cayman. Things like Sport Air filter/intake, exhaust, muffler, fly wheel. From the main porsche performance companies I am finding that they specifically list the Cayman S.

Are these parts compatible with the Cayman (non S). Particularly the air intake/filter systems? I realize not as many folks have the cayman and apply performance mods to it. But there has got to be a few right?

Can anyone clear this up for me? Point me in the right direction?

thanks

Noffy.

Last edited by Noffy; 11-23-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
139 views and nothing? What about a plenum for the 2007 cayman is this the same as the S model. Can this be upgraded?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 AM
eric_l is on a distinguished road
I have a 2007 Cayman S with a couple of mods, some of which can indeed work great on the "basic" Cayman. For starters I have the Borla exhaust, sounds great, works great, and I think actually sounds better on the smaller engine then on mine. You can also look at software upgrades to the ECU. As far as plenum goes: I'm not sure. Probably best to call up Softronic and ask them.

A good source of Cayman info is a group that used to be known as "caymanclub.net". Lots of guys over there with the base model Cayman.

She's a blast have fun w/ her.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Noffy

I have a 2.7 liter and have done a K&N air filter ,De-Snorked ,SRP ,FLASH and Remus Exhaust and the highest my car dynoed was 272 HP at the crank so 27 HP estimate increase . I have had it dynoed at 2 seperate shops and there was a significant difference in the Numbers so I have stopped relying on dyno numbers personally.There are so many factors that can change the numbers some and I never did a base line dyno so I am just using the 245 stock rated numbers.but overall my car feels a lot quicker and after I did the 4.1 upgraded high flow flash my increased performance feels smoother .Really cool .
I do have the sport chrono feature and i notice a huge difference when it is not ON .If you do not have the sport chrono Softronic can include it in your flash .
This will all be water under the bridge for me soon as Just today I was at my local tuner shop MAX RPM trying to negotiate the FIRST TPC turbo install on a 2.7 liter Cayman .I hope to bring this project to a Reality ,I will keep everyone posted

Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Noffy
I have been browsing here and throughout the net for baisc performance modifications for my new 2007 porsche cayman. Things like Sport Air filter/intake, exhaust, muffler, fly wheel. From the main porsche performance companies I am finding that they specifically list the Cayman S.

Are these parts compatible with the Cayman (non S). Particularly the air intake/filter systems? I realize not as many folks have the cayman and apply performance mods to it. But there has got to be a few right?

Can anyone clear this up for me? Point me in the right direction?

thanks

Noffy.

here is my old car 07 Cayman S All sensible mods you could do

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/987-ca...1-aerokit.html

Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
The exhaust will really be your best bang for the buck. I think a lot of mods for the Cayman (and many cars in general) are more psychological than anything. I haven't seen any real evidence to prove that the plenum is worth the money. The mechanic I use that does tons of mods on Porsches also agreed. Likewise I don't believe the K&N nor de-snorking actually does anything. Car mods get to be like audiophile accessories where people spend a ton of money and as a result see/feel/hear a difference that is probably not even there, or negligible at best.

I'd start w/an exhaust and ECU flash.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh I agree I think at least there is diminishing returns on the mods. Certainly ECU and Exhaust mods are pretty proven accross many vehicles. Its pretty fun to drive as it is, but it is a bit of a hobby and I had my audi modestly modified with some good results. Thanks for the responses.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Max77
The exhaust will really be your best bang for the buck. I think a lot of mods for the Cayman (and many cars in general) are more psychological than anything. I haven't seen any real evidence to prove that the plenum is worth the money. The mechanic I use that does tons of mods on Porsches also agreed. Likewise I don't believe the K&N nor de-snorking actually does anything. Car mods get to be like audiophile accessories where people spend a ton of money and as a result see/feel/hear a difference that is probably not even there, or negligible at best.

I'd start w/an exhaust and ECU flash.

Not sure i agree with all your comments... i drove my Cayman with a Fabspeed stage 2 system and flash for a year, but really noticed the difference with the Evo Motorsports RS350 kit that SharkWerks installed plus the SharkWerks LWF. Dyno also showed a positive HP and torque curve

Just my two cents

Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Max77

Lets not forget here the OP is inquiring about a 2.7 not a 3.4 liter ,big difference in what the bolt on mods have been shown to produce in terms of performance without a doubt.The Plenum did more to my 2.7 in terms of smoothing out the power and I highly reccomend it on a 2.7 .
I agree that it did not produce any significant performance numbers but the car does feel and drive a lot better so i can honestly say my drivers experience is much better with it .My first Install was the Remus Exhaust and it was night and day in terms of performance and sound quality ,it really brought the 2.7 to life ,then the Softronic Flash and WOW !! a big power gain felt,the de-snork and K&N ??? who knows IMO not much at all and then I installed the SRP and it feels like a different motor ,the 2.7 just purrs and does not struggle like before. If the OP lives in the WA area or anyone else with a 2.7 liter wants to meet up and drive my car just let me know ,I would be glad to let you see and feel for yourself

Last edited by Fluid987; 11-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.