Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Muffler on 2009 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
FVD Muffler on 2009 Boxster S

I just installed the FVD Brombacher Muffler (Export - Loud Version) on my 2009 Boxster S (987.2) and I couldn't be happier - this system rocks!! Apparently I am the first 2009 Boxster S (987.2) in the US to get this system so I will give you some first impressions.

I did a lot of research and listened to a lot videos/audios and listened to a lot of chat on these forums before decideing to go with the FVD unit. There are a lot of various systems available for 986 and 987.1 cars, but not many yet available for the new 987.2 DFI cars. I was looking for a nice loud/agressive sound under WOT and higher RPM's, a little burble on decel, a nice loud bark when doing throttle blips from idle, but yet still civilized for cruise at low RPM/typical highway speed with no drone, repeat NO DRONE. Getting some extra HP/TQ would be nice too. There are lots of cheaper systems available out there that will give a loud sound but they usually aren't engineered well enough to avoid the drone.

Well let me tell you, this FVD unit met and exceeded every one of the criteria I was looking for in a muffler. Cold start-up sounds NASTY - a great way to start the day. Throttle blips get everyone's attention - real head turner. And the sound under WOT, especially above about 3500 RPM, is absolutely fantastic/addictive (or any other superlative you want to use!!). I do feel a little more seat-of-the pants HP/TQ but I didn't do any dyno runs to verify that. And there is absolutely no drone! Put the top down and run through the gears (especially through a tunnel or under an overpass) and this car sounds better than a GT3 with Sport Exhaust and probably as good as a Ferrari F430 at 7000 RPM (and that is quite a compliment!!).

The quality of the unit is first class. The twin pipes/tips are in chrome and really look great - much better and more massive than the OEM tips. Plus they don't accumluate any soot like the stock tips do (that is a real bonus - these 9A1 DFI engines are really putting out a lot more soot than the M96 and M97 engines!).

Bottom line - I am all grins!! I couldn't be happier. Although this system is a little more expensive than other US products, it is worth every cent!! The superior German engineering really shows (I guess M&M muffler in Germany really does learn some good ideas after designing all those Porsche race exhausts!)

A special thanks to Rhonda at FVD. She is absolutely great to work with - she really knows her product and is a real Porsche expert (not bad for a chic ) She made the whole experience very easy and made me feel very special. Thanks again.

I took a few pictures during the install (I had a local Porsche mechanic do it for me). I also did a quick video with a cheap Flip videocam (not the best audio but you will get some idea - it is from a Warm Start). If I can figure out how to attach this stuff I will include it. If I can't, then go to YouTube and search "FVD Muffler 2009 Boxster S" and you will see it. If anyone has any questions then PM me and I would be glad to answer them.

Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
congrats and very nice looking setup - sounds nice too (I assume this is your video).
FVD is a great shop; they have excellent products and people (Rhonda, Flo and Mark) are great to work with!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by lithium1330
congrats and very nice looking setup - sounds nice too (I assume this is your video).
FVD is a great shop; they have excellent products and people (Rhonda, Flo and Mark) are great to work with!
Lithium1330,
Yes, that is my video and thanks for getting it in the thread (I am very computer challenged and hopefully will learn how to atttach things one of these days).

This video only slightly represents the real sound of this muffler - it is much more agressive in person. I will try to get another video with some drive-aways under WOT and some drive-bys, hopefully using a better videocam with a better mic.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Rhonda is great to work with. glad it worked out for you.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations ! Rhonda at FVD also helped me get a set of custom fabricated headers and cats through the same manufacturer in Germany (M&M) for my boxster. Together with the custom cat-back from 9FF, the sound is just "ripping" !

Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Congratulations ! Rhonda at FVD also helped me get a set of custom fabricated headers and cats through the same manufacturer in Germany (M&M) for my boxster. Together with the custom cat-back from 9FF, the sound is just "ripping" !
Any chance you can post some clips to this setup?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lithium1330
Any chance you can post some clips to this setup?
Thanks for request. Unfortunately its now winter up here and my vehicle has since been "put in mothballs". Perhaps in the spring though.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Very nice. Me likey!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
It had been about 10 days since putting on this FVD muffler on my 2009 Boxster S and my GRIN is getting even bigger!! This system sounds so fantastic that I find every excuse I can to drive it and make noise. Luckily the weather here in Phoenix is great so I can drive it around with the top down and the effect is even more dramatic - this is a proper Porsche sound!!! Now I need to find some way to get my 997.2 to sound just as good!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
Great looking/sounding exhaust. Any weight loss over stock?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
dave4tide is on a distinguished road
Sounds Great!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Croctor is on a distinguished road
I think that system is a real winner!!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by GTS-R
Great looking/sounding exhaust. Any weight loss over stock?
There is some weight loss over stock but I am not sure of the exact number. I will check with Rhonda at FVD and get back to you with an answer.