Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help a new Boxster owner with switching out the stock stereo receiver

Old 12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Elle.Woods is on a distinguished road
Please help a new Boxster owner with switching out the stock stereo receiver

I received a red Porsche Boxster (987) from my husband, for Christmas. I love it- it has been my dream car since I was a kid. But it did not come with navigation or aux integration. It does have Bose speakers. The car is under factory warranty.

I've looked around and I *think* I want to take out the stock radio unit and install a double din touchscreen, with navigation and iPod/iPhone integration (and maybe Bluetooth?), but the only confirmation I've seen that the 987 even uses a double din is from an eBay seller who says he makes a mounting kit for it. Further, Crutchfield seems to suggest the 987 takes only a single din. My own uneducated opinion, from looking at the space for the receiver, is that it looks like double din but maybe I could be missing something about depth. If anyone can confirm the 987 accepts a double din, I would be greatly appreciative.

I would also really appreciate hearing from anyone who succesfully has changed out the 987 base (non-nav) stereo unit with a touchscreen nav unit and any thoughts you might have about which touchscreen nav unit I should get (I guess one or two din, depending on which it actually is) and any thoughts or suggested vendors for getting the mounting kit (is eBay my best bet?). Finally, if I should just give up on this idea and get an ICE-link, please tell me that too!

I do plan on having a radio shop do the installation, but I'd rather here directly from Porsche owners before I go into the store.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum or if this subject has been beaten to death. I did search first but found little on an install in the new Boxster (well, except a bunch of people saying it's better to get the car with OEM nav to begin with, but that ship already has sailed in my case).

If there are any other "must have" mods, or threads I should read, please do let me know that too! We have always been a BMW family (sorry ;-) so I am completely new to this!!!

Last edited by Elle.Woods; 12-31-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Congrats on the new car - very nice xmas present. What year is the car?

If you really wish the car came with the factory sat nav unit (sat nav, BT), you can order one from one of the board sponsoring dealers (e.g., Suncoast) for just north of $2000 (IIRC). It's almost plug-n-play and I think you simply need a dealer to activate the unit once installed. That way, you'll have that factory look without mucking with the wiring and what not - and just as important, retain the warranty.
On the other hand, if you are set on an aftermarket double din unit, don't get discourage. Others have done it and it's possible. Just make sure you find a good shop that knows what they're doing before they start the work.

I have not tried the factory bluetooth in the Boxster... but I am not sure how well it works when driving with the top down. I actually have trouble hearing the other person even when I have the phone next to the ear.

Have fun!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the response! I think I would prefer not to use the factory nav because, if I understand correctly, that requires DVDs. But I don't necessarily want to give up the cool song streaming on my instrument cluster either! How does Porsche's navigation work? Is it relatively high quality?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the new car, welcome to the family!

We offer a factory double-din kit on our site for the newer cars (2009+). There is an ebay seller (euromotorspeed) who buys these kits from us, and repaints them the proper Volcano grey color to match the 2005-08 interiors. They may also offer additional wiring to make the installation quick, you may have to consult them for more info.

Popular upgrades:
  • Clear Side Markers
  • Wind Deflector
  • Armrest lid with crest
  • Red Tail Lights
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Chrome Exhaust Tips
  • Full Color Center Caps

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the response. My car is an 08, which means volcano gray!

My husband wants me to ask if you sell the LCD lights, included on the newer models, for the cars like mine. Is that what you mean by red tail lights?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Elle.Woods

My husband wants me to ask if you sell the LCD lights, included on the newer models, for the cars like mine. Is that what you mean by red tail lights?
I was trying to integrate a strip of LED into the '08 fog light housing as driving lights, though I'm not having much luck trying to pry open the housing - even after baking in the oven for 10 minutes. Will have to try again.

As for the sat nav.... I am not sure if it requires the DVD to be in the drive to work. I don't believe that's the case, but someone else will have to chime in.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute

Ah...you mean the rear LED lights. I believe it's possible to update the car to the new face-lifted 2009 look......but it requires a new bumper, new lights, some minor wiring, and some sheet metal modifications. So in other words...........to do it right, it could be a $3000-4000.00 project.

For the quick upgrade, you can swap to all-red tail lights. This is a very popular upgrade, and a 20 minute installation. They're not LED, they're standard brake light bulbs. IMO, these lights look a little bit more masculine (no "happy" clear eyebrows), and remind me of the mid-90's Carrera models. They look completely red, but the reverese light will still shine clear, and the turn signals still shine orange. Here is a photo of the 2005-08 car with red tail lights:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I agree it looks more masculine. So probably a no go for me, but I won't show my husband. He has his own 335i, to which he has done several mods (and has more planned) but he still won't leave MY new baby alone!

We went to the stereo store yesterday. They recomended the Alpine*iva-w505, with the nav/Bluetooth add on, brake bypass, and iPod adapter. The quote we got for everything, out the door, was $1.6k. The owner said he'd done an identical install on a Boxster a couple of months ago and he seemed to know what he was doing. Any feedback, either on the Alpine unit or going non-OEM altogether?

I think the cost may be similar to getting the OEM unit so this is largely going to be a matter of taste. I do generally prefer to go with the better integrated solution but I *really* am not a fan of the huge telephone keypad that seems to take up half the OEM unit's display. Do the newer units not have that?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
bsnively is on a distinguished road
here are some pics of the pioneer unit I put in my cayman.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...tml#post371981

It's kit from euro motorspeed.

Thx,
Ben

Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
That is beautiful! Are you happy with the receiver/nav unit you installed? I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. The Alpine W505, which is what the stereo store owner suggested, looks beautiful but I am concerned about the quality of the navigation Alpine offers.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM
rubber_ducky is on a distinguished road
I think the cost may be similar to getting the OEM unit so this is largely going to be a matter of taste. I do generally prefer to go with the better integrated solution but I *really* am not a fan of the huge telephone keypad that seems to take up half the OEM unit's display. Do the newer units not have that?
THe units no longer have the keypad. They're touchscreen with just a handful of shortcut buttons and a couple of *****.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
bsnively is on a distinguished road
That is beautiful! Are you happy with the receiver/nav unit you installed? I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. The Alpine W505, which is what the stereo store owner suggested, looks beautiful but I am concerned about the quality of the navigation Alpine offers.
I'm very happy with it. I enjoy the benefits of going aftermarket, though many don't like the disadvantages that go with it.

You lose the cd station in the dash (but can change it to the fuel left on the top). The non-stock feel is the other aspect.

Most of them can edit the splash screen/etc so you can have the same Porsche boot screens as the stock units.

Thx,
Ben

Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks. This is helpful. I do like the OEM look but I'm not sure how I'd put a new Porsche communication system in an 08 (I think the colors won't go, right? It looks like it's made to match the new black trim), short of tearing the grey trim out altogether. And I definitely don't want the old Porsche system with the keypad.

I'm not really concerned about losing the CD player - I don't even own CDs anymore- but I am a little sad to give up the radio station information that runs under the digital speedometer. Has this been a big deal for you?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
mdrobc13 is on a distinguished road
Elle
Here's pics of my unit and what I did with my 2009 Boxster. As you can see I put a Pioneer touchscreen unit with NAV, full bluetooth, Sat XM, and also Ipod into the car and it works flawlessly. Great no problems. Only issue as you mention is that you will loose the radio/cd info source that lists on that last line in the digitial speedo. Not a big deal for me. Easy install and my shop in Maryland charged me about $400 total for a custom install. Only issue you may have will be re-wiring and placement of the antenaes (GSP & Sat XM) but a good install will find a place for good reception and mount them for you.

Have loved my setup but am currently selling it because I had it removed from the car (it was sold and I upgraded to another Porsche). Am selling the NAV unit and my fabspeed exhaust I had on the car. If you're interested in buying either for your car let me know. It was all professionally installed and removed and is in working order and I'd let the whole package go for $500 OBO.. you can PM me if interested or just for additional info and tips.

Good luck..Rob
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...9-boxster.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...good-home.html

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
SeaNile is on a distinguished road
Is the exhaust still available?

--JK

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help a new Boxster owner with switching out the stock stereo receiver