Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs S2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Boxster vs S2000

I'm shopping for a toy in the $10-15k range. I have owned a 993, 951, 968 but never a Boxter. On the Honda side I've owned an 03 S2000 and 3 NSX's. Very well built cars.

Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to an S2000 for my daily work commuter/weekend toy or try a Boxster. How many of you have tried other cars and what do you have to say about the Boxster's reliability, fun factor, ability to mod etc?

Last edited by Evoking; 05-29-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
One more thing... One of the things I really liked about the S2000 is that there was minimal chassis flex. How rigid does the Boxster feel? Does it twist and rattle all over the place like many convertibles?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
since you can't spell boxster, I would recommend you get an S2000.

but more seriously, the S2000 is more rigid by a mile.... but if I had to drive one of these to work all week it would be the boxster for sure. The s2000 is only fun when you're beating on it, the boxster is more chill and has a wider power band.

also note the boxster will probably cost you 4x as much on maintenance, maybe more in your price range.

Last edited by theblue; 05-29-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
S2000 ftw!

Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I noticed I spelled it wrong after it posted . One of my pet peeves too!

So the Boxster flexes that much eh? I guess I'll need to go drive one. Regarding maintenance I expected parts and service to cost more but does the Boxster have frequent issues?

Also, you say service will be high on one especially 'in my price range'... I'm looking at 00's with 50-70k miles. Are these going to have lots of gremlins or expensive maintenance due?

So you guys understand where I'm coming from and my taste here are some of the cars I've owned. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976

Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
S2000 is going to be more reliable unless you like high rpm drag race style starts! Boxster in my opinion is more forgiving for those who like to routinely push the limits and the car isn't as hard edged and frenetic. But keep in mind that Boxster maintenance is no walk in the part due to its engine placement.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:34 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Base boxster vs S2000, S2K all the way. It's more fun to drive, easier to mod, and costs less in maintenance.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
devious986S is on a distinguished road
S2000. I've had both, modded both extensively. My boxster now has the same rigidity that my s2k had, but only after spending way too much on various suspension components (the one wheel in the air on steep inclines test). The only reason I chose the boxster over the s2k in the end was the roof rack, and two trunks.

I would suggest an s2k, and install a simple supercharger system (comptech/vortech).

Old 05-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
you can barely put a brief case in the 2000.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Great comparison, I appreciate it... What about chassis flex? Is Boxster a lot less rigid and if so does that cheapen the ride and irritate?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
I drive an 01 S2000 and drive 986/987 Boxsters all the time.

I love my S2000....It is a fantastic car, great transmission, great engine, fantastic to drive. One of the few cars that is really about the driver.

HOWEVER, while it is a fantastic car, it is just not quite on the level of a Boxster S. If you are thinking of a base boxster, it would probably be about even, however a 2.5L Boxster would get left in the dust.

The Boxster will have a MUCH BROADER torque band, making it a lot more fun to drive day to day, especially in traffic. I hate the way i've really got to give my S2000 some gas to get it off the line at a stoplight any more quickly than a civic. The Boxster S has a far more capable mid-engined chassis, and along with a phenomenal chassis you get the fantastic brakes, great suspension, and 2 trunks!!!!

Both are phenomenal cars, but in a head to head, a Boxster S(986/987) has the edge over the S2000.

As far as reliability and maintenance, Boxster are great cars. I would recommend you get the newest year you can. The newest cars, even of the same model will have updates that the older cars do not. As with any used Porsche, you must find out about the car's history, especially any TRACK history. One good thing to check on any used car is the rear eccentrics. The bolts should be in the same position from side to side. If their setting are totally different, it can be a sign of a rough history, and even some accident damage. Oil changes need to be made every 5000 miles or once a year...with track time, more frequently.

My opinion, go with the Boxster S if you can find a good one. If the cars you find are questionable in any way, the S2000 is always a safe bet....it's a Honda.
Would second this. Had a S2000 for 40K miles and loved the car. Updated the sound system, shocks, and light weight wheels. Huge improvement in handling.

I now have an 08 RS60 and there is really no comparison. While S2000 had very stiff body, I feel that the Boxster is equal or better. I live in an area where we have some very uneven streets in town. I have felt no flex and have had rear traction lost just while turning up onto and undulating street. Only down side is not LSD which I may add in the future. Suspension is far superior, steering is one of the best of any car out there, engine is easy to live with and quite fast. I walked slowly away from a 996S recently up till 90 where we shut it down.

The interior on my car is top quality all leather. I also have PCCBs which are beyond great and I thinks helps with ride and handling. Even with 19 inch wheels and 30 series tires, it still rides great even on bumpy roads.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM
rkuo is on a distinguished road
My friend has an S2000 for autocross competition and finds the car uncomfortable as a daily driver. You have to rev the car unusually high for street driving in order to get punch and I guess the internal noise/etc just kind of grates on you. The boxster is less economical, being German, but feels more agile and fun ... and isn't uncomfortable to drive for extended periods.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
I agree with most of the posts here. Josh offers real world insight: The Boxster is more fun and more practical as a daily driver, the S2000 is more fun at 7000+ RPM in turn 9 at Auto Club Speedway. I have limited seat time in the Honda but It was not nearly the pleasure to drive as a Boxster for me.

Chassis flex??? I don't notice much flex in either and my car has 88K miles with 40 track days and several track records in class. I don't feel much flex at all.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
rkuo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Evoking
Yeah, I noticed I spelled it wrong after it posted . One of my pet peeves too!

So the Boxster flexes that much eh? I guess I'll need to go drive one. Regarding maintenance I expected parts and service to cost more but does the Boxster have frequent issues?

Also, you say service will be high on one especially 'in my price range'... I'm looking at 00's with 50-70k miles. Are these going to have lots of gremlins or expensive maintenance due?

So you guys understand where I'm coming from and my taste here are some of the cars I've owned. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976
After looking at your collection of cars, I'm sure you can afford the maintenance on an Boxster. It will be more fun as a DD compared to the S2000 hands down. There can be a lot of little things wrong on an old Boxster (I bought a 2000 as well), but I found a good independent and did it all in one swoop. The common issues are well known.

The Boxster S has significantly more torque on the low end, so for fun DD you should strongly consider it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Had an S2000 as a track car for a while. It's the only car I've ever owned that was probably MORE trackworthy in stock form than a Porsche. You could just beat on it and beat on it and it kept asking for more. It also comes alive on a track as it has such awesome, precise handling.

However, it's a bit of a pain on the street as you've got to constantly wind it to the stratosphere to get out of your own way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs S2000