Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW V12 in Boxster S with Tiptronic Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
So what do you call this FrankenBoxster after the conversion? Is it now a PorBimmer?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 AM
alipendier is on a distinguished road
Cool Thanks!

Thanks WearyMicrobe for the input, sounds like you know your $#!T... Please send me a PM with an email address, I cant send you PM because my post count is too low

Last edited by alipendier; 08-06-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM
3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts
Why not rebuild your motor and use twin turbo kit=20K-25K for 450-500whp

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alipendier
Thanks WearyMicrobe for the input, sounds like you know your $#!T... Please send me a PM with an email address, I cant send you PM because my post count is too low
You can post it here on the board, I don't like PM as the info does not get shared. \

Unless your looking at a Mike V Porsche kit which would require a 10 not a 12, if you get my drift, your asking for trouble.

The Merci kits are terrible proportions on the Boxster and no one I know is doing that much of a stretch.

The standard way or stretching a Boxster will not take the additional weight of the 12, also a supercharger or 3.6 swap would be significantly easier and much much cheaper in the long run.

Unless your building the new MC mclaren f1 kit I can see no reason why you would want to go with the v12. I will add that no one I know of has even seen a completed car off that splash, and the molds that are in the states are crap. There is a team in Mexico that is doing one but its definitly not a known entity.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
You can post it here on the board, I don't like PM as the info does not get shared. \

Unless your looking at a Mike V Porsche kit which would require a 10 not a 12, if you get my drift, your asking for trouble.

The Merci kits are terrible proportions on the Boxster and no one I know is doing that much of a stretch.

The standard way or stretching a Boxster will not take the additional weight of the 12, also a supercharger or 3.6 swap would be significantly easier and much much cheaper in the long run.

Unless your building the new MC mclaren f1 kit I can see no reason why you would want to go with the v12. I will add that no one I know of has even seen a completed car off that splash, and the molds that are in the states are crap. There is a team in Mexico that is doing one but its definitly not a known entity.
Thanks WearyMicrobe, you mentioned you have an easy way to get 400+ HP off the stock BMW V12 by chip I assume, which chip or tweak were you referring to? Thanks

Last edited by alipendier; 08-09-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Oh god.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Oh my god =0

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Cool Solved!!!

Project solved! Thanks for all the comments and useful posts...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM
justaddcoffee is on a distinguished road
love to see the work in progress and finished project. don't forget to post pics.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
widebody350 is on a distinguished road

So the OP is building a kit car? What type? Links to these McLaren, Carrera GT, and Mike V kits?

Not usually a fan of kit cars, but OP please keep the thread updated if you are really fitting a V12 in a Boxster and/or doing one of the above kits.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM
600WHP S4 is on a distinguished road
damn i can think about 3 motors that would fit in there and make power...

1. 996 turbo motor swap
2. build a turbo 2.8L vr6 motor and run that 700hp easy
3. hell a 4g63 evo motor is more fitting then a ****ty old v12

Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Richard454 is on a distinguished road
1. No its not going to be cheap, and you will have to machine all the interfaces.

2. Then every kit car builder ever is wrong. (Several V12 motors in GTO replica's and a few Daytona's). Plus you are adding boost and that means NO factory ECU will take that period. I have taken apart/fixed enough 850i's to know that.
The two stock ECU's and DME can easily be pulled from a donor car and run as a stand alone- you also have to use the drive by wire from the 750/850 -accelerator pedal rheostat. There is an excellent article on doing this- http://www.v12diablo.co.uk/resources...%20ECU%27s.pdf

Before I removed my V12 from the donor car - I cut all the wires loose and had the throttle in my hand controlling the engine.

The swap can be relatively cheap -IF you find a good donor car -running with all the pieces. I bought a complete car- 1990 running and driving for $700 and found another 'extra' motor on Craigslist for $150- after parting the car- I MADE money of the engine acquisitions!!!

The bottom end on these motors CAN handle the power- However the heads flow poorly and there's not enough meat on them to do much of an increase- it is what is is...Realistically NA you can see 350-375 HP w/o cats and some of the accessories. FWIW the engine- even though all aluminum, weighs in around 530lbs dressed. The design was to move a 2 ton sedan around smooth and quick w/o introducing a bunch of drama!!!

Good luck w/ your project-WE NEED Pics!!!

Richard

Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Bud, that is just a crappy universal ebay turbo kit. The seller will claim that turbo kit is compatible with an aircraft carrier if necessary to sell it.

Good luck, but you have no idea what you are talking about and this will never happen.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by CURI0
Bud, that is just a crappy universal ebay turbo kit. The seller will claim that turbo kit is compatible with an aircraft carrier if necessary to sell it.

Good luck, but you have no idea what you are talking about and this will never happen.
Thanks for the warning, I also figured it may be suspect...

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
wulfgang is on a distinguished road
Well, to answer the original question, no, I doubt the tiptronic will be up to the task. The 6-speed gearbox from the Boxster S was only rated for ~270 ft-lbs from Getrag, and from what I've read, they had weak input bearings. So I have no conclusive evidence for the tip, but I'd surmise that it's nowhere near up to the task of taking that kind of torque.

Possible alternates are the Cayman S gearbox, a G50, or anything from a 996/997 (with flipped ring gear), all of which are much beefier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW V12 in Boxster S with Tiptronic Help!