Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor
IMA Motorsport will become famous soon enoughIMA Motorsport will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon

Wanted to take a moment and announce that we have been working pretty hard in bringing to market a system that we consider to be superior in quality and parts than most would expect. We are producing everything state side with parts that are made in the USA.

I have attached some pictures to show some of the development and progress that we have accomplished with our vision. Notice that we have a radiator coming with the kit with its own custom design radiator duct made in Carbon Fiber. We designed and made the plug for the Mold and we hired Crawford Composites(one of the best) to make us a real nice part.
The inlet and outlet tubing to and from the turbos as well as throttle body is also going to be made in carbon. No the easiest thing to do but you can see from the pictures the routing of the tubing. From these pieces we will give the a mirror like finish and use the to make a mold. Doing it this way ensures consistent fitment with having to weld the tubing in aluminum. Easier to make after mold is done and the parts will look incredible.

We are developing a diffuser for the car to work with our kit or without. It will provide some nice down force in the rear and for the front we also are doing an add on splitter. This will take a bit to finish but expect them soon.

The turbos that we are using are variable turbine nozzle.This means that they will build boost under 3000 and all in by 3200. 5-6 psi is all we are currently running in the GT3 kits we have done and 996's. Also the turbos are not difficult to install since the oiling is self contained. That was something that we thought was a pain to do and also having to rely on an external electric or mechanical device to return the oil to engine. Having tried the it already and not having that great of luck. This is just perfect IMO.

The radiator and intercooler will be circulated by a water pump that can flow 23 g/min a lot higher than the Bosch pump available for such application which is delivering 5 g/min without head pressure. The water will be carried around with Brown and Miller stainless braided hose with a convoluted teflon core that will not kink or pinch in tight corners and will also add protection against rubbing. It also looks the part of a nice designed kit.

I hope you guys like what you see here and would like to hang it on your cars. We are currently doing the installs at the shop but hope to have in a production basis, or we can build to order, just a few weeks to build all.

Cheers and enjoy!

Attached Images      
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Stoked to see how this turns out !

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
chaud is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

OOh yes... Subscribed! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Very interesting. The carbon front duct looks great.

What output can we expect?

Cayman owners hae long been waiting for that extra 100 hp their chasis can handle: 400 hp.

Can the transmission(s) handle the increase in power?

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Got an IMA TT kit on my C4S and love the power it creates. Not to mention, the sound of the turbos spooling is intoxicating!!! You Cayman guys won't be disappointed.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
IMA Motorsport will become famous soon enoughIMA Motorsport will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up What to expect

We have been able to increase the output by 40% consistently
with some other models. but it is all related to how much boost you
run. In our case we are running .4 bar which represents a 40% increase
of volumetric efficiency hence to 40% power increase. The engines are so
responsive it's very nice to drive.

Thanks for the compliment on the carbon duct, it did come out very nice. Lots of work and time. The transmissions and clutches have been holding up just fine. No issues.

400 is not a problem, we have surpassed that already with 3.4 and 3.6 engines. Just delivered a 996 on Friday. I had driven it a good bit and it was very nice. Don't expect anything less from Cayman when we are done with it.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Cayman owners hae long been waiting for that extra 100 hp their chasis can handle: 400 hp.
TPC Racing has offered 450-550+ hp Cayman turbo kits for years...

Last edited by limitup; 01-16-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
VUCommodores has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How will this compare to the TPC kit?

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Jroc will become famous soon enoughJroc will become famous soon enough
Just want the cayman guys need

Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by VUCommodores
How will this compare to the TPC kit?
I don't think is fair to make comparisons like that. They have a kit that works well. We like the twins for more bottom end torque. Our turbos will make boost in the low 2000 revs and be all in by 3200.
From what I have read on this forum is that there's comes in at around 4500 or so. Give or take for the size of the turbo.
Our turbos are using a variable nozzle so it responds very quickly. To the point that you can not tell the car is turbocharged. No BS. It is really very nice.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Lemme see . . . So, I take a 330 hp CaymanR and induce it by 4 bar, I get 40% more . . . 40 hp + 40 hp + 40 hp + 4 hp = 124 hp increase. Thus, we are at 454 hp.

Now, I am wondering about modified intake and exhaust and ECU in order to make that really sync!

Certainly, the idea of torque coming on earlier helps--which is what the Cayenne (twin) Turbo does. It makes it almost seamless--except for the turbo lag, especially with a big V8.

Now, tell us about the anticipated twin turbo lag and the timing (ECU) requirements. Also, I am certain we are going to need better exhaust handling.

[And far more brakes! ]

Seems like checking the Porsche Sport Exhaust Option might be incompatible or a waste of resources with your new kit???

The more details, the better we can plan [our personal cars] and you can market your kit more effectively. {By the way, I'll expect favors if needed. My first tip: Ken Smiley at Planet9}

Last edited by gr8ful; 01-16-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't care about top end as much as bottom end, especially mid-range and shear drivability. Also, endurance, reliability are paramount.

[Might require augmenting the oil system if one is going to take one to DE and hammer it with R rubber--like the Boxster race spec series.]

Last edited by gr8ful; 01-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM
HassaanAbdeen will become famous soon enough
As a Cayman S 550hp turbo owner from TPC, I am interested to learn one thing and one thing only: the 0-62 acceleration figure. With TPC it is 4.0 seconds, can your kit beat that?

Oops I almost forgot, is your kit for PDK 987 or MT only?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor
Excuse me!

I started this thread to announce and show you guys what we where doing. I do not want to get in a contest of what other people are doing, how much they are making, etc.
Our claims are reasonable and I would like to leave it at that. PM me if you would like to discuss in private.

Respectfully,

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Nice work IMA. Glad to see more competition out there. We did a TPC kit on a Cayman. You can see REAL WORLD unbiased mustang dyno numbers on 91 octane here - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/proj...ject-begins-2/. We just redynoed the car last week in almost 50% less ambient temperature, same results! Hope your kit does well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon