Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you tracked your Spyder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tracked your Spyder?

6Speed,

To the Spyder owners - have any of you tracked your cars yet? I am curious to know how you handled the top/safety issue of the car. I have been told you cant run with the top up since it will blow off at high speeds - so you run with it down. But then i heard there is an issue with safety?

Can anyone chime in on this? Thank you.

Jon

Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
flyyellowrsa is on a distinguished road
spyder/top down

Do you have to run with arm restraints in your region with the top down?.. I also have a spyder and I am getting conflicting policy with different regions..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
We run with it off.
Casey - any special safety equipment? Arm restraint?

Originally Posted by flyyellowrsa
Do you have to run with arm restraints in your region with the top down?.. I also have a spyder and I am getting conflicting policy with different regions..
I am being told by a close friend who is really into the track scene around here that you need arm restraint. I dont even know what that is or where to get it - how much it costs - etc....

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Top down run is dependent on the clubs & tracks. So, check with your local club.
With Gold Coast PCA, you must have arm restraints when running with top down (I was told). Of course, unless you have full harness setup, you'll have to jury-rig the restraint to standard 3-pt belt setup. I've been told it is possible, tho never seen it in person.
Now, ready for the catch? If you use arm restraints, you cannot effectively give point-bys. Needless to say, this has caused some stirs amongst PCA DE organizers.

So, check with your local DE chair before you sign up for anything.

Do a google for racing arm restraints. They basically keep your arms from flailing around (esp. outside the roll cage or car) during a crash. They are relatively inexpensive: $30 or so. As mentioned.... they are made to use with 5/6-point harness cam lock.

This page has some good, starter information to help protect you in event of roll-over. Watch the video and read about also the additional safety components the driver should also have.
http://umaikakudo.blogspot.com/

Last edited by lithium1330; 02-22-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
^^^ Awesome!!!! That is exactly the info i was looking for ^^^

6 Speed is a great resource