Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failures in 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failures in 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S?

Has anyone had a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure in any of the newer 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S cars with the 3.4L DFI engines? I know there was a problem with the early 2009 997.2 cars (3.6L and 3.8L DFI engines) with a bad batch of Bosch HPFP's leading to failures and engine stalling (I know this personally because my 2009 997.2 C4S had this problem after 12,000 miles and they replaced the HPFP). I am wondering if this is only a problem with 997.2 cars or if it is also a problem with 987.2 DFI cars as well. When I asked my local Porsche service folks they looked a little confused and said they haven't seen any problems on the Bosxters or Caymans. I hope this is not your typical corporate denial of any known problems. My 2009 Boxster S has about 11,000 miles now and I am getting a little worried. Frankly I am a little disappointed with Porsche not taking pre-emptive action with this HPFP problem and replacing them in the earlier 997.2 cars before waiting for them to fail (mine failed in the local Phoenix area where I live, luckily about 2-weeks after I had just returned from a 4000 mile "road trip" up the West Coast). I would have been one real pissed-off SOB had it failed on that trip! Anyway, any Boxster/Cayman experience with this problem would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
...go read over at the BMW forum. (bimmerfest.com) BMW first extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles or 10 years and now I just got a recall notice for the HPFP (I have an 08 BMW 335 twin turbo). Many say they failures are due to the ethanol content in our fuel since there are not many reports over in Europe where ethanol isn't put in fuel

Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by slant83
...go read over at the BMW forum. (bimmerfest.com) BMW first extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles or 10 years and now I just got a recall notice for the HPFP (I have an 08 BMW 335 twin turbo). Many say they failures are due to the ethanol content in our fuel since there are not many reports over in Europe where ethanol isn't put in fuel
Interesting information. Thanks

Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Bad news for you, both the 997.2 and the 987.2 have the indentical fuel pump # 9A1 110 315 02 which I believe is now superceded by 03 So it's a ticking time bomb. They do have a service bulletin out from Porsche but they can't/wont replace them unless they are broke.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Bad news for you, both the 997.2 and the 987.2 have the indentical fuel pump # 9A1 110 315 02 which I believe is now superceded by 03 So it's a ticking time bomb. They do have a service bulletin out from Porsche but they can't/wont replace them unless they are broke.
Harryrcb,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that. I guess I won't take the Boxster S out for any long roadtrips I am really disappointed with Porsche for taking this "wait until they fail" attitude with a known defective part and then hope it doesn't cause too much of a hassle for the customer when it does. I realize the cost is very high to replace all of the suspect pumps, but sometimes you have to step up and do what's right for the high standards of the Porsche brand (God knows they make tons of money selling these cars) even though it will cost them a few bucks. I intend on voicing my disappointment to PCNA and I urge others with these same cars to do the same. It is time to identify these bad HPFP's and take action to get them replaced on early 997.2/987.2 cars.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bonerwall
Harryrcb,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that. I guess I won't take the Boxster S out for any long roadtrips I am really disappointed with Porsche for taking this "wait until they fail" attitude with a known defective part and then hope it doesn't cause too much of a hassle for the customer when it does. I realize the cost is very high to replace all of the suspect pumps, but sometimes you have to step up and do what's right for the high standards of the Porsche brand (God knows they make tons of money selling these cars) even though it will cost them a few bucks. I intend on voicing my disappointment to PCNA and I urge others with these same cars to do the same. It is time to identify these bad HPFP's and take action to get them replaced on early 997.2/987.2 cars.
I totally agree. In my case I purchased an 09 Carrera S engine to install in my 986 and of course it has the old pump. I know they will not replace it if it's not in the correct vin car. I think they have a bad attitude toward keeping the customers happy these days. It certainly is not fair to use their customers for a test bed and not compensate them for it. By the way since you still have warranty on your Boxster I would run the wheels off it until it becomes obvious that the pump is OK or until it quits and get it done under warranty. Wish you well.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
The fuel pump on the 09 Cayman failed about two months ago. Car had just over 16,000 miles. Fortunately it failed as my wife tried to back out of the garage. You can drive it if it has not failed completely, but it has little or no power and was a little scary, but did get it to the dealer okay. They claimed it was there first, but they seemed quite familiar with the problem. Have a new one now and all has been fine for about 2500 miles.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Mine failed about 2 months ago. I had about 15k miles on the car. Service tech told me that this was the first time he had ever seen this.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
stateofgrace is on a distinguished road
I just joined because I found this thread when searching this problem. I purchased a CPO 08 Boxster last week with 8K miles. Yesterday it just stops on the highway one hour away from home...Call roadside assist which was actually pretty good and was towed to the dealer..... They call today and say it's a bad fuel pump and the last one they replace bad was many years ago on an older 911 with 170K miles.....

Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Only the DFI engines have a high pressure fuel pump, yours doesn't, different issue.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by harryrcb
I totally agree. In my case I purchased an 09 Carrera S engine to install in my 986 and of course it has the old pump. I know they will not replace it if it's not in the correct vin car. I think they have a bad attitude toward keeping the customers happy these days. It certainly is not fair to use their customers for a test bed and not compensate them for it. By the way since you still have warranty on your Boxster I would run the wheels off it until it becomes obvious that the pump is OK or until it quits and get it done under warranty. Wish you well.
Saw a new pump for sale on E-bay yesterday.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Mine just failed (at Thunderhill, of all places) and my service advisor said he had seen this happen in only a few cars.

Last edited by tradecraft; 06-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by scottschoe
Mine just failed (at Thunderhill, of all places) and my service advisor said he had seen this happen in only a few cars.
That seems to be the standard answer for all the problems such as IMS bearing failures.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 AM
larrymon is on a distinguished road
Mine failed at about 10K on my 09 CS. The tech said that they had replaced a few, and none of the new ones had any problems, yet.

I've been using this site to find ethanol free gas, whenever I'm close to one.

Here it is. Hope this helps. Just select your state.
http://pure-gas.org/

Larry

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Porsche are notorius for the 'wait til it fails' approach to replacing known faulty components that should be recalled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failures in 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S?