Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > Boxster / Cayman
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by Speed Merchants

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failures in 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Bonerwall's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: phoenix,az
Posts: 187
Rep Power: 13
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Failures in 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S?

Has anyone had a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure in any of the newer 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S cars with the 3.4L DFI engines? I know there was a problem with the early 2009 997.2 cars (3.6L and 3.8L DFI engines) with a bad batch of Bosch HPFP's leading to failures and engine stalling (I know this personally because my 2009 997.2 C4S had this problem after 12,000 miles and they replaced the HPFP). I am wondering if this is only a problem with 997.2 cars or if it is also a problem with 987.2 DFI cars as well. When I asked my local Porsche service folks they looked a little confused and said they haven't seen any problems on the Bosxters or Caymans. I hope this is not your typical corporate denial of any known problems. My 2009 Boxster S has about 11,000 miles now and I am getting a little worried. Frankly I am a little disappointed with Porsche not taking pre-emptive action with this HPFP problem and replacing them in the earlier 997.2 cars before waiting for them to fail (mine failed in the local Phoenix area where I live, luckily about 2-weeks after I had just returned from a 4000 mile "road trip" up the West Coast). I would have been one real pissed-off SOB had it failed on that trip! Anyway, any Boxster/Cayman experience with this problem would be appreciated.
__________________
2009 997.2 C4S, Arctic Silver/Gray, 6-Speed, FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers
2009 Boxster S, Guards Red/Black, 6-Speed, FVD Muffler
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
slant83's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 329
Rep Power: 22
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
...go read over at the BMW forum. (bimmerfest.com) BMW first extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles or 10 years and now I just got a recall notice for the HPFP (I have an 08 BMW 335 twin turbo). Many say they failures are due to the ethanol content in our fuel since there are not many reports over in Europe where ethanol isn't put in fuel
__________________
..if hard work is going to drive me to an early grave, at least it'll be in a nice car !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Bonerwall's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: phoenix,az
Posts: 187
Rep Power: 13
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slant83 View Post
...go read over at the BMW forum. (bimmerfest.com) BMW first extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles or 10 years and now I just got a recall notice for the HPFP (I have an 08 BMW 335 twin turbo). Many say they failures are due to the ethanol content in our fuel since there are not many reports over in Europe where ethanol isn't put in fuel
Interesting information. Thanks
__________________
2009 997.2 C4S, Arctic Silver/Gray, 6-Speed, FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers
2009 Boxster S, Guards Red/Black, 6-Speed, FVD Muffler
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
harryrcb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 11
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Bad news for you, both the 997.2 and the 987.2 have the indentical fuel pump # 9A1 110 315 02 which I believe is now superceded by 03 So it's a ticking time bomb. They do have a service bulletin out from Porsche but they can't/wont replace them unless they are broke.
__________________
Crazy Austrian
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Bonerwall's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: phoenix,az
Posts: 187
Rep Power: 13
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
Bad news for you, both the 997.2 and the 987.2 have the indentical fuel pump # 9A1 110 315 02 which I believe is now superceded by 03 So it's a ticking time bomb. They do have a service bulletin out from Porsche but they can't/wont replace them unless they are broke.
Harryrcb,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that. I guess I won't take the Boxster S out for any long roadtrips I am really disappointed with Porsche for taking this "wait until they fail" attitude with a known defective part and then hope it doesn't cause too much of a hassle for the customer when it does. I realize the cost is very high to replace all of the suspect pumps, but sometimes you have to step up and do what's right for the high standards of the Porsche brand (God knows they make tons of money selling these cars) even though it will cost them a few bucks. I intend on voicing my disappointment to PCNA and I urge others with these same cars to do the same. It is time to identify these bad HPFP's and take action to get them replaced on early 997.2/987.2 cars.
__________________
2009 997.2 C4S, Arctic Silver/Gray, 6-Speed, FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers
2009 Boxster S, Guards Red/Black, 6-Speed, FVD Muffler
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
harryrcb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 11
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerwall View Post
Harryrcb,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that. I guess I won't take the Boxster S out for any long roadtrips I am really disappointed with Porsche for taking this "wait until they fail" attitude with a known defective part and then hope it doesn't cause too much of a hassle for the customer when it does. I realize the cost is very high to replace all of the suspect pumps, but sometimes you have to step up and do what's right for the high standards of the Porsche brand (God knows they make tons of money selling these cars) even though it will cost them a few bucks. I intend on voicing my disappointment to PCNA and I urge others with these same cars to do the same. It is time to identify these bad HPFP's and take action to get them replaced on early 997.2/987.2 cars.
I totally agree. In my case I purchased an 09 Carrera S engine to install in my 986 and of course it has the old pump. I know they will not replace it if it's not in the correct vin car. I think they have a bad attitude toward keeping the customers happy these days. It certainly is not fair to use their customers for a test bed and not compensate them for it. By the way since you still have warranty on your Boxster I would run the wheels off it until it becomes obvious that the pump is OK or until it quits and get it done under warranty. Wish you well.
__________________
Crazy Austrian
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Age: 65
Posts: 673
Rep Power: 98
ConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond reputeConcreteRon has a reputation beyond repute
The fuel pump on the 09 Cayman failed about two months ago. Car had just over 16,000 miles. Fortunately it failed as my wife tried to back out of the garage. You can drive it if it has not failed completely, but it has little or no power and was a little scary, but did get it to the dealer okay. They claimed it was there first, but they seemed quite familiar with the problem. Have a new one now and all has been fine for about 2500 miles.
__________________
2011CarreraS Cab,2006CayenneS,2009Cayman S
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul-"The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls,looking like hard work" (Thomas Edison) Never argue with idiots-first they drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.(Author Unknown)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
chiroporsche's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 123
Rep Power: 10
chiroporsche is on a distinguished road
Mine failed about 2 months ago. I had about 15k miles on the car. Service tech told me that this was the first time he had ever seen this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
stateofgrace is on a distinguished road
I just joined because I found this thread when searching this problem. I purchased a CPO 08 Boxster last week with 8K miles. Yesterday it just stops on the highway one hour away from home...Call roadside assist which was actually pretty good and was towed to the dealer..... They call today and say it's a bad fuel pump and the last one they replace bad was many years ago on an older 911 with 170K miles.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san antonio
Posts: 238
Rep Power: 14
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Only the DFI engines have a high pressure fuel pump, yours doesn't, different issue.
__________________
2012 Cayman S
2011 E90 M3 traded
2012 Panamera
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal. CA
Posts: 312
Rep Power: 17
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
I totally agree. In my case I purchased an 09 Carrera S engine to install in my 986 and of course it has the old pump. I know they will not replace it if it's not in the correct vin car. I think they have a bad attitude toward keeping the customers happy these days. It certainly is not fair to use their customers for a test bed and not compensate them for it. By the way since you still have warranty on your Boxster I would run the wheels off it until it becomes obvious that the pump is OK or until it quits and get it done under warranty. Wish you well.
Saw a new pump for sale on E-bay yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
scottschoe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Peninsula, Bay Area
Posts: 309
Rep Power: 45
scottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond reputescottschoe has a reputation beyond repute
Mine just failed (at Thunderhill, of all places) and my service advisor said he had seen this happen in only a few cars.

Last edited by scottschoe; 06-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
harryrcb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 11
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Mine just failed (at Thunderhill, of all places) and my service advisor said he had seen this happen in only a few cars.
That seems to be the standard answer for all the problems such as IMS bearing failures.
__________________
Crazy Austrian
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
larrymon is on a distinguished road
Mine failed at about 10K on my 09 CS. The tech said that they had replaced a few, and none of the new ones had any problems, yet.

I've been using this site to find ethanol free gas, whenever I'm close to one.

Here it is. Hope this helps. Just select your state.
http://pure-gas.org/

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 3,343
Rep Power: 185
gmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond reputegmoney has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche are notorius for the 'wait til it fails' approach to replacing known faulty components that should be recalled.
__________________
08 Turbo / Europipe exhaust / RSS link kit / RSS toe steer kit / GMG springs / GMG sways / Hoen Lights all around / EVOMSit v580 / Tikore lugs on OZ Ultraleggeras
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
05, 2009, boxster, boxtster, cayman, dfi, engine, enuff, fuel, high, porsche, pressure, problem, problems, pump, stall, ticking


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Secure Backup