Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boxster performance chip

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 AM
damon is on a distinguished road
boxster performance chip

i have a 986 and have recently bought a performance module for it from next level performance.
they claim that the gains are as high as 20 hp, but i doubt it is that much.
when contacting them, they said that to feel the full performance gain, i should remap the ecu.
i spoke to my local garage about it, and they told me that the module that i had fitted should be doing the same job as if i had remapped the ecu, thus, if i remap the ecu, it will be over-riding the signals of the module and might get an engine light.
any advice please?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Ummmm, If it were on my car I would simply remove it and explore their guarantee policy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item2eb650a152

I am pretty certain they have not found the secret to unleashing all the hidden HP in our cars.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 AM
i agree with you totally. i am pretty certain the 986 can go much quicker.
my nephew has a mini cooper s and he can almost keep up with me. im sure with some simple tweaks the boxster will be able to thrash the mini!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Autobahnspeed is on a distinguished road
Can you really feel 20hp tho? I heard Revo makes a chip for the 986.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
You would absolutely feel the 20 + horsepower. It would be like removing 300 pounds from the car.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:26 AM
if im honest i cant really say i felt 20hp. i think there was a slight gain, but not 20 hp.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
Spend some $$ to have it dyno'ed and then you will never have to wonder.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM
J-Rad is on a distinguished road
My $.02, buying a chip for a NA car is a waste of money. If you have a turbo charged car, that's another story.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
chip for car

Originally Posted by J-Rad
My $.02, buying a chip for a NA car is a waste of money. If you have a turbo charged car, that's another story.
I installed the softronics flash on my car and it states 15 to 18 HP increase and It felt a lot faster ,very noticable and the tourque was increased as well , I could tell cause my car could spin the wheels now when before it could not .

what the OP bought was a Joke .
If you want you car to go fast call Casey at TPC TURBO and dont waste any more money and time with garbage like this .next level performance? R U KIDDING ME??? you seriously put this on a Porsche ?

Remove it at once is my advise and lesson learned pretty cheap

Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
I installed the softronics flash on my car and it states 15 to 18 HP increase and It felt a lot faster ,very noticable and the tourque was increased as well , I could tell cause my car could spin the wheels now when before it could not .
I'm not familiar with Softronics so I won't claim to know anything about their products or claims. I also don't know anything about the car you had chipped/flashed. That said, did you dyno your car before and after? If so, can you share the results? I'd be very surprised to see the gains you indicate.

The issue with chipping a normally aspirated engine is that only a couple adjustments can be made electronically to try and improve performance; they can remap fuel tables/mixture and adjust timing. That's pretty much it. However, the only real way to realize perfomance gains with a NA engine is to increase airflow through the engine; something a chip simply cannot do. When actually dyno'd many find little to no performance improvement (0 to 5% max) - I've even seen some people on other forums post about negative dyno results! On the otherhand, chipping a turbo engine results in much greater performance gains because in addition to adjusting fuel maps and timing, they adjust boost pressure (ie bars).

Last edited by J-Rad; 08-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not familiar with Softronics so I won't claim to know anything about their products or claims. I also don't know anything about the car you had chipped/flashed. That said, did you dyno your car before and after? If so, can you share the results? I'd be very surprised to see the gains you indicate.
A lot of people have the Softronic flash (myself included), which can also add some neat things to your car, like turning off the CEL from aftermarket headers and adding sport mode. There's a ton of info/discussion over on the p9 forum.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
J-Rad

The issue with chipping a normally aspirated engine is that only a couple adjustments can be made electronically to try and improve performance; they can remap fuel tables/mixture and adjust timing. That's pretty much it. However, the only real way to realize perfomance gains with a NA engine is to increase airflow through the engine; something a chip simply cannot do. When actually dyno'd many find little to no performance improvement (0 to 5% max) - I've even seen some people on other forums post about negative dyno results! On the otherhand, chipping a turbo engine results in much greater performance gains because in addition to adjusting fuel maps and timing, they adjust boost pressure (ie bars).
YES , there were hundreds of us that went in on a GB on the planet9 forum and lots of us did dynos before and after with the softronics flash and they were all consistently between 18 to 20 HP increase . dynos can vary depending on the machines and outside tempature ,humidity ect ect ect but the Softronic flash REALLY WORKS!!!
Cayman S 987 3.4 liter Model Base 295 Tuned 315 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W-NKZFJF8QMyVg

THE REAL THING MY FRIEND tested and proven by hundreds if not thousands of Porsche Car owners ...THE BEST !!

and also as Scottschoe stated you can unflash your car at any time within minutes ,diagnose issues and turn off warning and service lights with the included durametric software .Just to name a few ! check it out for yourself if you want something that is for real and is PROVEN by lots of us P-Car Mod freaks .. you get what you pay for ,what you bought my friend is smoke and mirrors

Last edited by Fluid987; 08-19-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
YES , there were hundreds of us that went in on a GB on the planet9 forum and lots of us did dynos before and after with the softronics flash and they were all consistently between 18 to 20 HP increase . dynos can vary depending on the machines and outside tempature ,humidity ect ect ect but the Softronic flash REALLY WORKS!!!
Cayman S 987 3.4 liter Model Base 295 Tuned 315 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W-NKZFJF8QMyVg

THE REAL THING MY FRIEND tested and proven by hundreds if not thousands of Porsche Car owners ...THE BEST !!

and also as Scottschoe stated you can unflash your car at any time within minutes ,diagnose issues and turn off warning and service lights with the included durametric software .Just to name a few ! check it out for yourself if you want something that is for real and is PROVEN by lots of us P-Car Mod freaks .. you get what you pay for ,what you bought my friend is smoke and mirrors
Interesting.

I've read many posts on P9 (admittedly missed the GB post) and save for a few outliers, most reports reinforce my earlier comments. I agree that programming can do other things, such as turn off CEL and such, but none of that increases actual performance.

The question really is this: were increases solely the result of other modifications (ex. headers, plenum, etc), were they the result of combined upgrades, or was were they due to the remapping alone?

I looked at Softronics site and see their claims but I don't see any before and after dyno results. I have yet to see valid proof that remapping alone can actually result in anymore than a several hp on a NA engine (Porsche or other) - again, turbos are another story. I'm happy to be proven wrong but unless the factory maps were so far off to begin with, there just isn't a lot of gain to be had chipping/remapping alone.

Ultimately, it only matters that the buyer is happy and you definitely seem to be.

Last edited by J-Rad; 08-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
J-Rad

Here ya go

2007 porsche Cayman stock vs Softronic tuned
Results, on Dyno Dynamics rig, using their typical test protocol:

Horsepower increase was 22 hp (240 vs. 218), torque increase was 7 ft-lb (200 vs. 193). All gains were above 4000 RPM, with LOSSES in lower RPM ranges.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info but I think you should've posted a link back to the post/thread from P9:
http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-dyno...-stock-cs.html

When reading the entire thread, there are certainly discrepancies and varying opinions on the validity of those dyno results. The owner of the car listed in your dyno results (perhaps that was you) made several mods and came up with different answers on different machines. No real way to be certain as to actual hp gains...or as pointed out, hp losses.

Even consider the following quote from Scott Slauson, the owner of Softronic:
Softronic is also happy for this users multi testing and it shows exactly how Dyno graphs differ. I ( Scott Slauson) have been stating for years as to dyno's inconsistencies in MANY magazines. This especially applies to dyno's that are not recognized (Owned and labeled by a Tuner). I had written an article several years ago on getting 10 or was it 20 hp from an air freshener. This is all possible on ANY dyno and especially on what tuning companies offer as results.

I have offered for years and stated as such that I would back ANY company that shows the gains they sell upon . This would be exhaust , tuning etc and not ONE has ever asked me to oversee their runs. Why? well I think we know...
Interesting, nonetheless.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: boxster performance chip