Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster Spyder, Audi TTRS, or Louts Exige s260 final edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
CarFan21 is on a distinguished road
Porsche Boxster Spyder, Audi TTRS, or Louts Exige s260 final edition

Any thoughts as to which would be a better buy? The goal is to have a fun semi daily driver with track potential. Drive comfort is not really a concern nor is a fully functioning roof. The goal here is to find out which would be best to cruise around in locally and take to the track. I know the pros and cons for the most part of owning any of them, I just need some outside opinions.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
preetham is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are looking for a spyder.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Because HPDE organizations are increasing rules about convertibles, go with the TTRS. Exige is great on the track, but not for the faint of heart as a semi daily driver. While some people do drive their Exiges every day, it really takes someone with tolerance to do so. I love mine, but I would go nuts if I had to drive it everyday.

The TTRS should be plenty fun on the track while being plenty comfortable for every day.

That being said, I'd pick the Spyder as long as I'm prepared to make some additional safety mods to bring it up to club standards. (mainly a taller roll bar)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
aussie jimmy will become famous soon enoughaussie jimmy will become famous soon enough
tt-rs.

exige - can't see out of it, under-powered, build quality questionable, r compunds no good in the wet.
boxter spyder - good for the west- siide, no roof is no good for track, east coast weather sucks.
tt-rs does everything quite well, plus has 2 extra seats for little ones if you got any. it's only downside is the heavy front-end which makes the car prone to understeer, but the grip levels are quite high so you'd be going very fast to experience this. on track, it will be quick but not as exciting as a boxter spyder.
have you considered the cayman r?

i have driven the exige 260 cup and the ttrs, but not the boxter spyder.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I have thought of the the Cayman r, though I must say I am partial to the open top feel of the Spyder. As far as the benefit of a back seat goes, I am 22 with no kids so thats not a concern lol.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
dave-t will become famous soon enough
Cayman R = person as a daily driver.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
having two threads is confusing!

lol I replied to the other one earlier when I couldn't find this one

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-edition.html

anyway the only way you'll be able to decide is to drive them all

cayman R = boxster spyder + more weight up top

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I pulled the trigger and bought the 2012 Boxster Spyder. May not be the most practical choice, but there is something to be said about not having a roof.

I had multiple posts because I figured I would get an opinion from porsche, audi, and Lotus owners to avoid a bias lol.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
donistook is on a distinguished road
TT-RS opinion

I have raced cars in World Challenge, Grand-Am Cup, Rolex GT, IMSA, NASA, PCA, SCCA, and a few others. When I put my new 2012 TT-RS on the track at Texas Motor Speedway to film a video for AUDI back in July...it had the closest feel of a race car on the track from a street car that I have ever experieinced. Forget about comments about understeer...those are made by people that have not driven or tracked these cars...you have a neutral car that can have a touch of oversteer.

I own a Porsche/Audi performance shop and have built many race cars. I've installed turbos and superchargers on Porsches and modified many an Audi engine. The fit/trim/workmanship on the RS is first rate. The 370mm front brakes are excellent. Incredible low end torque...we will have software in a few weeks to bump the power from 360 to over 400hp.

The exhaust note on street could be a little more agressive...but on the track, it really sings!

Cayman S and R are really great cars....The RS fully loaded, 0-60 truly in 4.1 (and soon to be even quicker with software), 175mph top end, fully loaded with navigation, magnetic ride, etc....for $65K. Love the car, the best street car I have ever owned...!

Can't speak for the Lotus, as I have no experience with it.

Good Luck

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
aussie jimmy will become famous soon enoughaussie jimmy will become famous soon enough
i love the tt-rs.
i think it is a great all-rounder.
what are your thoughts on the fsi engine?
i heard a lot of audi with fsi engine are coming in for substantial repair jobs for carbon build-up. is this true?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Logical comparison.

Here is a not so logical (perhaps) comparison... with the prices of Ferrari 360's coming down to level of a 2011 Boxster Spyder (or even Cayman R), what are you guys' opinion? I was looking at this Spyder for sale @ a local dealer and seeing 360's going for the same ballpark (acquisition cost only)... is it far fetch to think the 10yr old 360 will offer a bit more in all senses of driving pleasure as a brand new Spyder? Naturally, there is maintenance cost to account for, which can range from similar cost as any Porsche car to 5 figures every 2 - 3 years.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
autopc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lithium1330
Logical comparison.

Here is a not so logical (perhaps) comparison... with the prices of Ferrari 360's coming down to level of a 2011 Boxster Spyder (or even Cayman R), what are you guys' opinion? I was looking at this Spyder for sale @ a local dealer and seeing 360's going for the same ballpark (acquisition cost only)... is it far fetch to think the 10yr old 360 will offer a bit more in all senses of driving pleasure as a brand new Spyder? Naturally, there is maintenance cost to account for, which can range from similar cost as any Porsche car to 5 figures every 2 - 3 years.
I am looking at Spyders and '09 997 PDKs. I considered this also. I think you can buy a good 360 for $70K-$75K. Service and repair is much higher then Porsche. About $6-$8K for the 5 year major service here in the Midwest. Overall the 360 is considered a reliable Ferrari but expensive if something goes out. Figure $5K-$10K for a emergency repair fund. How often do you want to drive your car? 1K miles is about average for a F-Car in the Midwest.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Too many different animals. Do you want a convertible or coupe? If you want a convertible then I would save some money and get the Boxster S. Otherwise the Spyder. If you want a coupe, then the R. I would never buy a sports car that wasn't a drop top so for me it's the Spyder. That said, I don't like the top on the Spyder so I would (and do) go for the Boxster S. Better daily driver without having to mess with that manual top.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 PM
clee is on a distinguished road
out of the 3 cars. I would rule out the ttrs. audis are too heavy and soft for the track. Its great as a DD, but I would get the spyder or exige. If comfort isnt a priority, I would get the exige if you have another car to drive everyday. The exige will make any other car feel heavy on the track.