Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
bhoov14 is on a distinguished road
I would certainly like both, I just have trouble actually having that much $ tied up in so many vehicles. Great points from everyone, bottom line for me, what do I really want? I don't see this car going to the track, thus perhaps the R8 and a track specific car would make more sense. Based on a new R8 entering the market, perhaps the best alternative for now is to wait a bit for the dust to settle, and enjoy driving the Spyder. I just sent my sport bucket seat inserts to Accumoto Motorsports in WI last week. Mark White and his team are going to add diamond stitching (white) to the alcantera (it will have a backing to give depth to the stitches-similar to what Audi is doing w current gen R8, RS7, S7, S6). Should look amazing when they are finished. I already added Matte CF to the interior (The sport chrono clock, hazard light, ignition surround, and light surround. When the top is on the interior now looks finished, as it matches the matte cf for the roof.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
I have been going through the same decision but 911 S vs R8 V8.

The V8 was a very balanced car its almost the perfect marriage of convenience the ability to DD. But its not fun, not like a Boxster spyder. The V10 is a bit better but for the cost not as good a deal. The 997.1 TT in a manual is what I think I am going to end up with.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
I have been going through the same decision but 911 S vs R8 V8.

The V8 was a very balanced car its almost the perfect marriage of convenience the ability to DD. But its not fun, not like a Boxster spyder. The V10 is a bit better but for the cost not as good a deal. The 997.1 TT in a manual is what I think I am going to end up with.

I thought about the same thing as well, 997.1 or 997.2 TT are amazing cars, I just wanted to try something a bit more exotic. I may keep the Spyder through the fall to see where R8 (v8 and v10) prices go, and see if Audi announces the new R8 in that time.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 AM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how the R8 is not fun? Really that boring? How? I was very very planted feeling and AWD gives you a sense of comfort and safety for sure. When I did my test drive it seemed pretty fun to me, albeit now that I have the new cayman s I am not sure it'd be any faster or more fun. But I am with op in that I still lust after an exotic....heh

Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 AM
OBXSTER is on a distinguished road
I too was considering an R8 V8 Spyder 6 sp. MT. I love the white over red version. But I ended up ordering a 2015 Boxster S. The Audi is take your breath away gorgeous and that will draw attention to you wherever you go, like it or not. It is also under powered for the price you pay, IMHO. But, in reality, for a street car, it is plenty fast, unless you are looking for a spontaneous drag race at every stoplight.

When I considered the cost, I always compared it to the 991S cab but ultimately preferred the Boxster's feel and balance to the 911's. If I were interested in a coupe, the F-Type R and GT3 would be on my short list as well.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Interesting question and dilemma to have. I agree with the person who said life is short so go with your gut. R8 is just gorgeous and has that exotic mystique.

If you want a step up in performance, however, get the V10. There's a youtube comparo of Spyder vs. R8 V8 on the track - Spyder was faster. One of the reasons why some say that V8 is underpowered but V10 is "overpriced".

Incidentally, some have bought V8 on purpose because they liked the exhaust note better.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 AM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
Regarding the discussion of the R8 V8 vs R8 V10, many always feel it's "overpriced" because they believe the extra money is only going to the engine. Not true. When you purchase the V10, you get many extras that are options on the V8. I watched a road test on the V10, and the gentleman was quick to point out that after you account for the options not standard on the V8, the extra paid for the V10 is only about $10k...actually a bargain. For us Porsche guys, it's similar to comparing a non-S to an S.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mcomet
I'm not sure how the R8 is not fun? Really that boring? How? I was very very planted feeling and AWD gives you a sense of comfort and safety for sure. When I did my test drive it seemed pretty fun to me, albeit now that I have the new cayman s I am not sure it'd be any faster or more fun. But I am with op in that I still lust after an exotic....heh
For me its not a event to drive it. I mean it looks cool and the V10 makes a really good noise but it is so planted and so safe that there is not really worth the price of admission.

You can get a turbo significantly cheaper, it is significantly faster, its easier to modify, its easier to daily drive so it does not need to be completely out there in terms off bonkers fun. Plus you can get gas and not be inundated with stupid questions. I had enough of that when I was DDing my ACR. I just want to get gas now not talk to crazy people.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Owned a 07GT3RS, 11 boxster spyder and a 14 R8V8. Here is my take.

GT3RS... Basically a race car. Race car sound, race car ride, super drivers feel with the only flow being the engine on back rather than middle. Also rides too low. So low it's unusable to drive around town unless you opt for the lift option.

Spyder.. One of the best balanced car I've ever driven. Not only it's balanced the driving feel is excellent. However the race car harshness is removed but the precision is maintained. This car rides very well for it's performance and the low ride is annoying but useable. Just be careful.

R8..Yes long door is very annoying and make parking difficult. However, it is the most comfortable sports car I've driven. Ride is comparable to a Ferrari California. It still has the mid engine feel but the steering is slow and not Porsche like. The brakes are not Porsche like. More on/off like every other manufacture that is not a Porsche. Car is quite, car has a supercar like tubular chassis. The car is engineered as a comfortable sports car. So much less harsh as the spyder. Even the car rides quite high. Higher than my TTRS I had back in 2012. The nose is angled to clear ramps and it's basically a raised lambo with more room on the inside, more width and the cabin feel less clustered. It rides so much nicer than a fully loaded A6 s-line loaner I received on the bumpy slow lane. I don't' know if it's the magnetic shock. Think of it as a bigger, softer, quieter, heavier more refined and more exotic boxster spyder. I've driven the V10 and went with the lighter V8. So many people talk about the V8 being an awesome handling car but I never heard such a thing from the V10. I figured the weight placement designed was done on the V8 for years before released and now the V10 was shoe horned and now trying to tune something that was not their original design.

Last edited by gtr; 04-19-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by gtr
Owned a 07GT3RS, 11 boxster spyder and a 14 R8V8. Here is my take.

GT3RS... Basically a race car. Race car sound, race car ride, super drivers feel with the only flow being the engine on back rather than middle. Also rides too low. So low it's unusable to drive around town unless you opt for the lift option.

Spyder.. One of the best balanced car I've ever driven. Not only it's balanced the driving feel is excellent. However the race car harshness is removed but the precision is maintained. This car rides very well for it's performance and the low ride is annoying but useable. Just be careful.

R8..Yes long door is very annoying and make parking difficult. However, it is the most comfortable sports car I've driven. Ride is comparable to a Ferrari California. It still has the mid engine feel but the steering is slow and not Porsche like. The brakes are not Porsche like. More on/off like every other manufacture that is not a Porsche. Car is quite, car has a supercar like tubular chassis. The car is engineered as a comfortable sports car. So much less harsh as the spyder. Even the car rides quite high. Higher than my TTRS I had back in 2012. The nose is angled to clear ramps and it's basically a raised lambo with more room on the inside, more width and the cabin feel less clustered. It rides so much nicer than a fully loaded A6 s-line loaner I received on the bumpy slow lane. I don't' know if it's the magnetic shock. Think of it as a bigger, softer, quieter, heavier more refined and more exotic boxster spyder. I've driven the V10 and went with the lighter V8. So many people talk about the V8 being an awesome handling car but I never heard such a thing from the V10. I figured the weight placement designed was done on the V8 for years before released and now the V10 was shoe horned and now trying to tune something that was not their original design.

Great insight, much appreciated. There are many opinions on the V8/V10 comparison. Personally, I like both motors, the V10 is certainly a bit more exotic sounding vs. a stock V8. However, the right exhaust on either will produce a great sound. I have narrowed to 3 choices, in no particular order:
1) Keep the Spyder, enjoy the car and pocket the difference.
2) Purchase a used '10-12 V10, or order a new V8 exactly how I want it
Solid Suzuka Grey, 6 speed, B&O, Blk interior/diamond stitch
3) Add a TPC Turbo to the Spyder, thus making it a perfect car

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bhoov14
Great insight, much appreciated. There are many opinions on the V8/V10 comparison. Personally, I like both motors, the V10 is certainly a bit more exotic sounding vs. a stock V8. However, the right exhaust on either will produce a great sound. I have narrowed to 3 choices, in no particular order: 1) Keep the Spyder, enjoy the car and pocket the difference. 2) Purchase a used '10-12 V10, or order a new V8 exactly how I want it Solid Suzuka Grey, 6 speed, B&O, Blk interior/diamond stitch 3) Add a TPC Turbo to the Spyder, thus making it a perfect car
An alternative to think about. Keep the spyder dump the other cars and get an RS7. If you are building an R8 to be fancy it won't really be a sports car. It'll be a grand tourer. Keep your sports car sporty and dial up your people hauler. Rs7 is faster than R8 in many ways, get the dynamic package and it'll be way more car than any public road would let you experience. You would then be down to only two cars, you will pay less or the same on an rs7 but will have less overall money invested as you have a couple ppl haulers it could replace

Problem solved

Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
An alternative to think about. Keep the spyder dump the other cars and get an RS7. If you are building an R8 to be fancy it won't really be a sports car. It'll be a grand tourer. Keep your sports car sporty and dial up your people hauler. Rs7 is faster than R8 in many ways, get the dynamic package and it'll be way more car than any public road would let you experience. You would then be down to only two cars, you will pay less or the same on an rs7 but will have less overall money invested as you have a couple ppl haulers it could replace

Problem solved
I certainly like your style and creativity. Unfortunately the the vehicles are not all at 1 location 😕. Don't get me started on having to carry multiple policies because I am honest.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 AM
tsmvp is on a distinguished road
I have a Boxster S and a Gallardo, what would be the closest to the V10 R8. At least comparing the Gallardo to the Boxster they are VERY different cars in so many ways. Both great cars and really excel at what they were built for. But again, very different rides.
I expect the R8 to be closer to the Gallardo but with way more comfort and amenities inside.
Ideally keep the Boxster and get something that you like. We only live once to debate if we should get a car we love or not. Worst case it you can always sell these cars quickly with very little loss (the price you will pay for a couple months 'test driving' it).

CR

Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Go to Exotic Racing in Vegas or Orlando. You can take an R-8 V10 on a short road coarse as fast you can drive it for $ 300 insurance included. Good reason to go to either place and you can test drive the car of your dreams for a few bucks. All they have are coups though. Most recent trip to Vegas I drove the Audi and it is a heavier car than my 997 and feels it. It also feels cramped inside (could just be because my car is a cab). Nice engine and great exhaust note but, as others have said, it's a completely different car than a Porsche.
No affiliation with the place, just think it's a great deal of fun for not much money.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by tsmvp
I have a Boxster S and a Gallardo, what would be the closest to the V10 R8. At least comparing the Gallardo to the Boxster they are VERY different cars in so many ways. Both great cars and really excel at what they were built for. But again, very different rides.
I expect the R8 to be closer to the Gallardo but with way more comfort and amenities inside.
Ideally keep the Boxster and get something that you like. We only live once to debate if we should get a car we love or not. Worst case it you can always sell these cars quickly with very little loss (the price you will pay for a couple months 'test driving' it).

CR
Great advice, although I just don't want that much $ tied up in 2 cars. I have listed the Spyder for sale, which is hard because it took me so long to find the right one. I am looking for the right R8 now, now it is just a question of V8 vs. V10. Like both for different reasons...debating a new V8 vs. a used V10. Or perhaps the right used V8. Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8