Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
bhoov14 is on a distinguished road
Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8

I haven't posted in a while, I value and respect the enthusiasts in this community. I wanted to get opinions from this group on your thoughts. I currently own a 2011 Boxster Spyder, CF Sport seats, PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, ect perfect condition w 15k miles on the clock. I have been fortunate to own several P-Cars over the years, 993, 993TT, 997S, Cayenne TT, the list goes on. I purchased the Spyder because I love everything about it. Design is fantastic, the drive is amongst the most fun that I have experienced, and although the power could be upgraded, it's still a blast to drive. It's the only Porsche that I have bought twice (same model year and color, this time w PDK in instead of the 6-speed which I miss). Yet, I cannot shake the fact that I really want to try the Audi R8 (6-Speed manual only). Any thoughts? Anyone w/ the R8 that wishes they would have stayed in their current P-Car? Opinions and advice from those of you who may have/or are currently going through this as well?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Life is short

Originally Posted by bhoov14
I haven't posted in a while, I value and respect the enthusiasts in this community. I wanted to get opinions from this group on your thoughts. I currently own a 2011 Boxster Spyder, CF Sport seats, PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, ect perfect condition w 15k miles on the clock. I have been fortunate to own several P-Cars over the years, 993, 993TT, 997S, Cayenne TT, the list goes on. I purchased the Spyder because I love everything about it. Design is fantastic, the drive is amongst the most fun that I have experienced, and although the power could be upgraded, it's still a blast to drive. It's the only Porsche that I have bought twice (same model year and color, this time w PDK in instead of the 6-speed which I miss). Yet, I cannot shake the fact that I really want to try the Audi R8 (6-Speed manual only). Any thoughts? Anyone w/ the R8 that wishes they would have stayed in their current P-Car? Opinions and advice from those of you who may have/or are currently going through this as well?
I think you are really talking apples and oranges with these two cars, but follow your heart. One is a boutique segmented limited edition performance car, the R8 a legitimate super car from a performance stand point. For me, I love P cars more than anything else, so I would keep the Spyder as likely collectible. But iIf you make a mistake, you can always find another Spyder. You may lose money both times likely in the process sellling/trading, but life is short. If cash isnt a concern, follow your gut.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
I think you are really talking apples and oranges with these two cars, but follow your heart. One is a boutique segmented limited edition performance car, the R8 a legitimate super car from a performance stand point. For me, I love P cars more than anything else, so I would keep the Spyder as likely collectible. But iIf you make a mistake, you can always find another Spyder. You may lose money both times likely in the process sellling/trading, but life is short. If cash isnt a concern, follow your gut.

I completely agree with you, the cars are certainly apples and oranges. I am just unsure of what I want to do for today. Over time, it will become increasingly more difficult to find the Spyder that I currently have, particularly in the condition that I will keep mine in (I am a bit OCD about maintaining my cars). I am passionate about Porsche as well, I like Audi, just not the same passion that I have for Porsche. Particularly the air-cooled 911's. They both have their advantages, and although I could have both, it seems ridiculous to me to have that much $ invested in depreciating assets (monetarily speaking of course). My wife would also lose her mind on me as well, particularly since we have "too many cars" already (her words of course ). Appreciate your feedback!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
If you go with an R8, make sure it's a V10. An eight cylinder R8 is under powered if you are looking for more juice than the boxster spyder. On the track, i floored a R8 v8 even through the corners.

Spyder is light and very easy to drive. the lack of a top makes it more interesting and exciting.

R8 will surely feel more planted around corners as it's a heavier car with awd. Its chassis is very well balanced. Boxster tends to feel bouncy when road is rough. You won't get that very much with R8. It's a more "mature" car if you will.

Go test drive one if you are interested. You can get a pretty good deal on an R8 either used or new as it's due for a remake in a year.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
If you go with an R8, make sure it's a V10. An eight cylinder R8 is under powered if you are looking for more juice than the boxster spyder. On the track, i floored a R8 v8 even through the corners.

Spyder is light and very easy to drive. the lack of a top makes it more interesting and exciting.

R8 will surely feel more planted around corners as it's a heavier car with awd. Its chassis is very well balanced. Boxster tends to feel bouncy when road is rough. You won't get that very much with R8. It's a more "mature" car if you will.

Go test drive one if you are interested. You can get a pretty good deal on an R8 either used or new as it's due for a remake in a year.

Based on the fact that the new R8 is coming (I assume 2016?) it makes it a tricky buy right now. Asking prices vary... Although the values have finally come down a bit into reality. It's still interesting trying to find the right one in the used market. I'm looking for a white 6-speed, I could get $7K-$8k off purchasing a new V8, more for the V10. Might be a better option than finding a used one with a 15% difference in price (a bit more for the v10)
I have driven the v8, seems like an easy everyday car, love the sound and overall experience. I suppose it comes down to $. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Your comments on the v10 vs. the v8 are certainly noted. I was a bit surprised as many people have the opinion that the V10 is not worth the extra $. I have not driven the v10, only listened to its intoxicating exhaust note

Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I certainly cannot argue with your tastes in cars! The R8 is a magnificent everyday exotic. If you haven't already, I say go and take one out for a test drive. I read not too long ago that Audi will soon be updating the R8. Whether that, if true, will have a favorable impact on prices of existing R8s remains to be seen. Life is short, have fun!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The new R8 will be sharing the Huracan platform. I don't think it will be a huge jump given that Huracan's two big mechanical improvements over Gallardo are dual clutch and magnetic suspension - both of which is available on 2014 R8 already

I suspect the next gen R8 will look more chiseled (boxy) and maybe shorter (to reduce weight), and have an updated interior. If you are serious about the R8, I would not wait. I don't think the next gen is gonna be a huge leap.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I certainly cannot argue with your tastes in cars! The R8 is a magnificent everyday exotic. If you haven't already, I say go and take one out for a test drive. I read not too long ago that Audi will soon be updating the R8. Whether that, if true, will have a favorable impact on prices of existing R8s remains to be seen. Life is short, have fun!

I agree, a little fun certainly never hurt anyone. Yet, I have been over-analyzing this for quite sometime! I certainly like your stable, fantastic color combos with both the Pane and the 991! I think a test drive on a v10 is in order...thanks!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
The new R8 will be sharing the Huracan platform. I don't think it will be a huge jump given that Huracan's two big mechanical improvements over Gallardo are dual clutch and magnetic suspension - both of which is available on 2014 R8 already

I suspect the next gen R8 will look more chiseled (boxy) and maybe shorter (to reduce weight), and have an updated interior. If you are serious about the R8, I would not wait. I don't think the next gen is gonna be a huge leap.
As always the rumor mill churns, possibility also exists that 6/7 speed manual trans will not exist in the next R8 gen, same as Lambo.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:40 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
I had a 2012 R8 V8 6spd and liked the car but not as much as my 08 Cayman S. I have a 2015 Cayman S on order to replace it and bought a 2014 RS7 to have a luxury speed machine. I feel like I have a good selection now, one of the faster stock 1/4 mile cars on the street that doubles as a luxury cruiser for 4. And the ultimate drivers car for connected spirited street driving and 5-8 track days per year. I think your sports car answer depends on what your other car is. FYI tracking the R8 isn't that great, it is far more of a street car gt style sports car.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
I had a 2012 R8 V8 6spd and liked the car but not as much as my 08 Cayman S. I have a 2015 Cayman S on order to replace it and bought a 2014 RS7 to have a luxury speed machine. I feel like I have a good selection now, one of the faster stock 1/4 mile cars on the street that doubles as a luxury cruiser for 4. And the ultimate drivers car for connected spirited street driving and 5-8 track days per year. I think your sports car answer depends on what your other car is. FYI tracking the R8 isn't that great, it is far more of a street car gt style sports car.
Great point, happy w the other cars. Recently picked up a Cayenne Turbo for the "luxury/4 person" whip to simply enjoy. The RS7 is one of my favorites, amazing car. Refined yet fun to drive, the motor is fantastic. Sorry, I digressed. I literally have a car to suit just about all needs from the Spyder to a Raptor, and a Cayenne Turbo. Ideally I would have a R8 and a Cayman S for a few track days a year. I have heard the same comments on tracking the R8. I did consider ordering a '15 GTS instead. Although I like white, I think a Mexico Blue Cayman GTS would be perfect.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
tangram is on a distinguished road
As always, drive the R8. One thing you may find relative to your BS is that the R8 is a bigger car, especially in width. It is an amazing looking car - I never get tired of seeing one - but it is a very planted car that can't really be enjoyed to its fullest on public roads.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
The R8 is incredibly tough to park as the doors are wicked long and require quite a bit of swing to open

Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
I went through the same dilemma a few years back. I test drove an R8 V8, and was a bit let down. Ended up keeping my '06 Cayman S, slightly modded. There just wasn't enough there to justify moving up that much in price. Even people in the Audi section recommended keeping the Cayman, unless it was an R8 V10. I was able to pick up an '11 GT3 last June, and haven't looked back. I would still like to own an R8 V10 someday, but the driving connection with the GT3 is too perfect.

One interesting thing to note, however, was that many owners felt that the R8 V8 was the better track car as it weighs less than the V10.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
I was in a slightly similar situation, was looking at used r8 v8 and the new cayman s. Ended up going with the Porsche. Mostly it came down to practicality, warranty and cost. I agree that speed wise the v8 isn't as thrilling as the v10 but I couldn't justify a v10. The interior of the r8 has some niceties but overall felt dated compared to the new Porsche. Especially gauges and radio..otoh it can be nice to have something a little old school. Also much much less storage space in the audi.

The r8 DEFINTIELY feels lower, wider, and more planted than a Porsche. Like someone mentioned more of a street gt touring car. I've taken my Porsche on plenty of back road drives, including some fairly bumpy roads and have pulled off to side on gravel for pictures etc... Doing that in the r8 would be tricky or at least scarier. I feel like I probably drive the Porsche more places more often and will park it with slightly less worry than if I had gotten the r8.

That said, I still have some regret not getting the audi for at least a while first and owning something more in the exotic category. The cayman gets a fair bit of looks and attention ... I am sure the audi would be more...something to keep in mind if it would bother you...

I would ask yourself what you want out of the car. If it is drivability on any roads, more practicality probably the Porsche. If it is owning a true exotic car, more attention, more street driving and (maybe) less usage then the r8.

The right answer is to have both... I haven't been there yet... But will accept check or money order...hahah.

Last edited by mcomet; 04-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8