Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S as Daily Driver

Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 AM
RERobbins is on a distinguished road
Cayman S as Daily Driver

I'm seriously considering a Cayman S as a daily driver. I drive roughly 50 miles a day, mostly on the highway or in the city. I'm a BMW guy and feel overwhelmed by the Porsche options. I do not intend to track the car.

My dealer has the following car in inventory and while I usually prefer to order my cars, I was wondering if you think this vehicle is optioned about right for my intended use. I'm skeptical that I'd really need PASM, Sport Chrono or Torque Vectoring. What's your reaction to this configuration:

7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Exterior: Sapphire Blue Metallic
Interior: Standard Interior in Black

Additional Equipment
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
345 - Steering wheel heating
423 - 20" Carrera S Wheels
583 - Smoking package
603 - Bi-Xenon™ headlights with Porsche
Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
630 - Light Design Package
844 - Multi-function Steering Wheel
AG - Standard Interior in Black
N1 - Sapphire Blue Metallic
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P9B - Premium Package i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P9G - Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System

Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
For commuting, you wouldn't need sport chrono or torque vectoring but those are nice to have, especially with PDK. 50 miles a day will add up quickly, so at some point the car's value will decline more than average. Although, it will be a nice commuting experience in good weather. In the winter not so much. No way can you commute safely with summer tires in near to and freezing temps. For commuting, better to buy a used car, even a 987 Cayman S with low miles. About the same experience, but with much less concern. Plus, with all that change in your pocket, you buy a winter wheel package for the colder months. I have a 981 Cayman S, but I think just as highly about the 987 S, which you can get PDK as well.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 AM
RERobbins is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve. I always run my cars with high performance summer tires in the warmer months and a proper winter tires in the cold months. I've had an M3 that I've driven year round in Chicago for about eight years. I should have mentioned I'd flip the wheels and tires for the winter with the Cayman for sure.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Looks like a very functional build. You won't find cars at dealer lots with full leather seating or multiple performance options if thats what you want. When I ordered a BS I ordered PASM but never took delivery

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM
mithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Steve997S
For commuting, you wouldn't need sport chrono or torque vectoring but those are nice to have, especially with PDK. 50 miles a day will add up quickly, so at some point the car's value will decline more than average. Although, it will be a nice commuting experience in good weather. In the winter not so much. No way can you commute safely with summer tires in near to and freezing temps. For commuting, better to buy a used car, even a 987 Cayman S with low miles. About the same experience, but with much less concern. Plus, with all that change in your pocket, you buy a winter wheel package for the colder months. I have a 981 Cayman S, but I think just as highly about the 987 S, which you can get PDK as well.

I plan to put 15k miles a year on my GTS in Chicago. I bought this car to drive, not to worry about the resale value.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
I've had the pleasure to drive a brand new 2014 PDK Cayman for about a month, and put over 4200 miles on her.

I cannot say anything but good things about the 981 in terms of performance.

The car is so neutral and balanced, and the suspension is just right for the street. I was absolutely murdering cars and bikes in Malibu. Almost felt invincible. Lol

But as an only car it is definitely not the car to have. I average about 150 miles/day and get very claustrophobic inside Cayman cars. Boxsters are a whole different story since my top is always down unless there is rain.

It may be bearable for 50 miles a day.. but think of it like this.

It's a Boxster with a hardtop.
A z4 with a hardtop.
a S2000 with a hardtop.

you get it, a small roadster; with a hardtop.

to me; If it's a roadster, the top better be off.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mithiral67
I plan to put 15k miles a year on my GTS in Chicago. I bought this car to drive, not to worry about the resale value.
Good for you dude