Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for +12V switched power in 987 frunk (front trunk)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 AM
foodbiker is on a distinguished road
Looking for +12V switched power in 987 frunk (front trunk)

Hi everyone,

(please forgive my cross-posting over at rennlist)

I'm looking for a +12V switched power wire my ’05 Boxster S (987) frunk (front trunk) to tap into, for accessory use. Any ideas?

Here’s the backstory. As I'm currently on a tight budget, I decided to skip both Denison/Mobridge/etc. units for my PCM 2.1 right now as they’re very pricey and apparently no unit does every job really well. All I want to do is to stream my music wirelessly via Bluetooth from my iPhone.

To keep things wicked simple, I snagged an eBay bargain AUX unit that pretends it’s a CDC (Compact Disc Changer) and I lucked out – my PCM 2.1 didn’t need coding for a CDC. I attached a Bluetooth wireless music receiver to it, and bingo – it all worked a treat! However, I’m worried that it’ll all kill my battery if everything remains connected to +12V unswitched power.

So, I have two issues here:

1) I need to shut off power to the Bluetooth wireless music receiver (and 12V/5V converter circuit) when the car isn’t in use, or it’ll drain my battery.

2) I’m worried that the AUX unit (like a Denison/Mobridge) itself will also drain the battery if powered on all the time. What doesn’t make sense to me is that the CDC and the NAV systems appear to have unswitched power. (Is that normal? Is their resting power drain nominal like a car alarm battery?) I’m also guessing that the AUX unit similarly needs to be powered on all the time (I tapped off the green/red wire that would normally go to the CDC) to appear on the MOST bus before the PCM 2.1 turns on. Is my reasoning correct here?

I’m almost home-free… just as long as I can find an unswitched power supply in my frunk to tap into! Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned
Rob VN is on a distinguished road
Fuse C6 may help

On my 2007 Cayman I tapped switched power from fuse C6 (YMMV) and ran a wire into trunk compartment to power my DRL, Accusump, etc

Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 AM
foodbiker is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Rob!

That's exactly what I wound up doing myself in the end (but used B9, which was for the phone unit, which wasn't present) as I simply couldn't find anything locally in the frank. It wasn't that too difficult to do (through the two large rubber grommets), but at least that's not drilling into metal or structurally altering per the car - so I was okay with that.

Cheers!