Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs Z4 -- Which to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Zaruski is on a distinguished road
Question Boxster vs Z4 -- Which to get?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new roadster but I need some help from folks who have owned either cars in choosing between the Z4 and the boxster.

#1. How easy is it to add some aftermarket power to the boxster? Is it possible to add a turbo? There are some sites out there that sell it, but I wonder if they are legit. What are other upgrades that I could look into? I'm not looking to make the car a track monster, but 300hp doesn't do it for me. I think 400 at the crank would probably satisfy my drive. How hard is it to find respectable mechanics to do the work?

#2. It doesn't seem to me that there is much of a difference between an S and the GTS, specially if the car will be tuned. Is that a correct assumption?

#3. I've read that the mid engine layout makes the maintenance a little more costly. Which is not a problem, but is definitely a con.

#4. For those who have driven the two, I understand the porsche has sportier handling and is slightly quicker overall. Was that sufficient to sway one way or another given the price difference?

#5. Which of the multitude of optionals are truly worth?

#6. There are rumors of both a new model year and an rs spyder in the near future. Anyone know any details? Would it be worth it to wait?

Also here is my pro/con list so far:
Z4
pro: price, look (in my opinion), turbocharged, hard top, more trunk capacity, maintenance, better interior
con: not a porsche, slower, lesser handling,

Boxster
pro: faster, better handling, overall most sporty, better brand
con: more expensive, interior, soft top

Please feel free to add or correct my list, or any other input that you may have!

Thank you so much!

Zar

Last edited by Zaruski; 02-28-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
I owned a 2006 Z4 2.5 , which I replaced with a 2006 Cayman S. So I am comparing older cars and I expect both models have improved a lot since then. That being said, there is really no comparison between the two, the Porsche is miles ahead as a "drivers car".

I won't even compare power as my Z4 was the 2.5L . The ride on the Z4 was harsh and really way too stiff, with the Cayman the ride is stiff, but not all harsh. Also the interior feel (build quality) of the Porsche is much better. Handling on the Cayman is miles ahead.

From a maintenance point of view , the story is quite different as the Z4 was a breeze to work on, compared to the Cayman. Simply because access to the engine is easier. The mid engine layout means it takes slightly longer to perform certain tasks, so a few more man hours I suppose, but shouldn't make it significantly more costly than the Z4. Parts for BMW as just as costly as Porsche.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
IMO the Z4 may well be the most dependable car BMW currently makes. The top of the line (Z4) engine is no slouch either.

But does your taste lean towards a nice GT type of roadster, or a slot-car like sports car?

Then there is the accessibility for personal maint... one you have plenty, the other is more of a pain.

IMHO it should be all about what your driving expectations/desires are, then maint issues secondarily.

Do you want a:
1. GT Roadster (w/ hardtop convertible)= Z4
or
2. mid engine true sports car (with a ragtop) = Boxster

Another consideration is the hardtop of the Z4 vs a Cloth top Boxster.

Ease of maintenance the Z4 wins hands-down in engine access.

They really are two different cars in more ways than one.

I haven't driven the Z4. My wife did and she loved it. OTOH, I drove a CaymanS and it was the most fun I've had on four wheels...EVER.
YMMV.

I wish you the best in your quest.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 03-08-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM
porshah will become famous soon enough
I had a 2007 Z4 3.0. Was a fun car. Easy to maintain. I have always gone back to Porsche. Hard to explain.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM
AndyE1976 is on a distinguished road
I test drove the Z4sDrive35i before buying a 981 Boxster S. The Boxster S was a much better drive and more practical, plus the Z4 wasn't great enough to sway me from my preferred choice. The TT-S actually was more impressive, perhaps because I wasn't expecting much from it!

To answer your questions:

1. TPC is a reputable company, but I'm personally wary of adding a turbo to a NA engine after bad experiences adding a Novitec Turbo to a Fiat Seicento many years ago. Nobody has cracked the ECU yet, so performance gains are limited without an engine swap to a 3.8.

2. This is true, the GTS is a better buy if you are going to choose a lot of the performance options on the options list, but if you are going to modify it then the S is plenty. If you're open to a Cayman and can get an allocation then the GT4 is the one to get and will meet your power needs.

3. I guess it does, but the maintenance quote for a TT-S and my 981 were about the same. I just had the 2-year service and it was $650. The 981 has good access if you know how to get to it as the engine has good access from underneath.

4. I was biased towards the 981 at the start, the Z4 was good, but the 981 lived up to my expectations. In 2 years of ownership it still feels fantastic to drive, has great handling and plenty of power for the street.

5. Which options are worth having is entirely up to you and what you want to do with it. I specifically wanted a car that I wouldn't want to modify, so I went heavy on the performance options and styling options to make the car exactly what I wanted. It sounds like you plan to change a lot of stuff, so you'll have different priorities. I'd recommend Sports Chrono, even if you go manual as the sports plus setting really wakes up the throttle. I also like the sports suspension, which gives a nice low stance, flat handling and good ride, but I guess this is something you'd be planning on modifying.

I have manual Sports Plus seats because I don't need to move them often and these look a lot better than the standard seats.

My rule is generally if it is cheaper as an option than it would be aftermarket then go with the option.

6. Depends. The RS Spyder will possibly be like the previous Spyder, so a temporary roof (although I've heard they are pretty watertight). The facelift is due probably next year, but may see the Boxster go to a 4cyl turbo. If you want to definitely get a 6cyl 3.4 then buy now, otherwise wait.

The Boxster is actually more practical than the Z4, it has more luggage space especially with the top down and gets good mileage.

My spec is:

- 981 Boxster S
- Dark Metallic Blue
- Blue roof
- Sports Suspension
- Sports Chrono
- PSE
- PTV
- 20" Carrera S wheels with colour crests
- Black full leather interior with Porsche crest on the head rests
- Sport Plus seats
- Bose package
- Convenience package
- PDLS
- Auto dimming mirrors
- Painted lower mirror trim

Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
B987S is on a distinguished road
I own a 987 S and I test drove both the Z4 and 987S when I bought.

My Boxster has

-19" Carrera wheels
-Sport Chrono
- Xenon
- Sport exhaust

The Boxster is
-better looking (IMO)
-true sports car ride
-handles better
- I can load two sets of golf clubs in the rear trunk

The Z4

-rides better
-smaller trunk
- handling not as good as Porsche

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	415630  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:29 PM
jccash is on a distinguished road
Two sets of golf clubs in a boxster. I need to check out the newer ones. No way I can put two sets in my 986. Very cool.

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 AM
B987S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jccash
Two sets of golf clubs in a boxster. I need to check out the newer ones. No way I can put two sets in my 986. Very cool.
Actually, I put both sets of irons in one carry bag and the woods and drivers loose. I have a Sunday bag which can be bent/folded and bam!, bob's your uncle!! It fits.

Mine is a 06 987S as you can see in the picture.

Leaves room for a weekend away with the missus.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 AM
cramje is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zaruski
#1. How easy is it to add some aftermarket power to the boxster? Is it possible to add a turbo? There are some sites out there that sell it, but I wonder if they are legit. What are other upgrades that I could look into? I'm not looking to make the car a track monster, but 300hp doesn't do it for me. I think 400 at the crank would probably satisfy my drive. How hard is it to find respectable mechanics to do the work?
Bought a 987.1 BS 6 months ago. Can't speak to Z4 but I have extensively researched more HP. Here's my take:

Sport Headers + Exhaust = 15-20 hp Cost $4k - $8k
Plenum + Throttle Body = 10 hp Cost $1k
ECU Tune = 10-15 hp Cost $500 - $1k

These mods will generate more hp, how much is subject to debate. For the $8k you could throw at these mods you could purchase (what seems to be) a very well-engineered Stage1 Turbo from TPC racing. Installation cost may run $3k so you'd be in $10-11k for the turbo and gain 50-60hp at the wheels. The upside is that the car will run like stink, the downside is the anecdotal failure rate is from a very small sample size.

The turbo represents (imho) a gamble that isn't worth the risk. Blowing up my 3.2L is a $15k-$20k issue, the Exhaust/Plenum-TB/ECU mods are more conservative in hp gained, but they're tried and true ways to greatly increase the drivability of the Boxster and are all DIY projects. This no slam on TPC - they seem to REALLY KNOW THEIR SH*T (check out their YouTube videos). The gamble is that I bought a 10-yr old BS with 15,800 totally unknown and uncharted miles. I got an overrev report and a PPI but still don't want the risk of previous engine issues blooming into a total rebuild. But, if that did happen I'd grudgingly rebuild with a Rabe 3.8L. After the divorce... :-)

I live in Denver, there are 4-5 very, very reputable Porsche Indys who prep Spec Boxsters and have a vast knowledge of the cars. I suspect any metro area has several great Indy shops, if you join the PCA in your area you'll be able to get a lot of great information for a pretty nominal membership fee.

Good luck in your search, the Boxster is a blast to wring out especially if you're stirring the gears! PDK/Tiptronic is quicker shifting but the Stuttgart boys have that MT thing perfected.

Last edited by cramje; 03-06-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:46 PM
09RedGTS is on a distinguished road
How can u ask that question? Especially here. Either u are a Porsche guy or u are a BMW guy. There are few inbetween folks who don't have a clue. I figured it out in 1970 and have been a Porsche guy ever since.

FYI for y'all, im changing my user name because I traded my Cayenne GTS for a Cayman S. So don't look for 09RedGTS to be around much longer. Shoulda planned better...

Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Lark is on a distinguished road
I had a 2006 Z43.0si. When I got ready to look to upgrade to the current model Z4, I test drove the Cayman and Boxster along with the Z4. You see what I bought. No doubt with the turbo on the Z4 you can add some serious hp very easily. If straight line speed is your goal, go Z435i. If balance and precision are your goal go 981. I am officially a Porsche guy now. I have a 335i Dinan S3 as my DD. I'm very seriously thinking of selling it and getting a Panamera or Macan for my DD. That's how much I've been bitten or smitten.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM
The luggage capacity of the Z4 is not greater than the Boxster or Cayman. The Z4 has 8 cu ft while the 987/981s have 10-15 cu ft. There is a reason BMW didn't call the 4 banger turbo an M. It is not a sweet engine. No turbo 4 is going to win me away from a 6. My hunch is you'll never want the Z4 over the Boxster S or GTS if u get to know them equally well. The GTS is worth it over the S if u like the included added equipment, but to each his own on that one. I own a Cayman S and my next one will an upscale Cayman variant. From my reading, the Z4 does not look faster, and I'm not missing owning one. But everybody is different...

Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
RebuiltM96.21 is a name known to allRebuiltM96.21 is a name known to allRebuiltM96.21 is a name known to allRebuiltM96.21 is a name known to allRebuiltM96.21 is a name known to allRebuiltM96.21 is a name known to all
Here is a different angle:
1. How risk tolerant are you? - when Caymans/Boxsters fail......
2. What is your comfort zone for repair expense? Boxsters/Caymans can be very expensive
3. If you like DIY, access is a major problem with a Boxster/Cayman.
Yes the mid engine layout is sublime - but do you really notice/care about the difference?
The resale of the Cayman/Boxster is difficult because buyers get 'cold feet' when they do the research. Suggest you check EBay "completed sales' for a realistic view of prices. Many Boxsters offered at 'no reserve' go very cheap -for a reason !
I love the mid engine layout and have paid through the nose for that feature. A questionable decision with the benefit of hindsight!
Let us know what you decide.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
The E89 Z4 is really not like most other roadsters. It has the rear shelf which is very useful to dump all the stuff accumulating on the passenger seat when the passenger shows up. The trunk can hold a Les Paul in a formfit hardshell case or a bass without. A backpack , even a thick camera pack, fits under the separator with roof open, in fact multiple backpacks side by side. I call it a wannabe SL.

The steering feel is a lot better than F30s but still pretty bad. Holding a curve is done without feedback. You hold it by where the car goes. WTF. Coming from an e46... well.

The base price for the Z4 includes a lot of options that cost a lot elsewhere, and the HiFi professional is very nice.

The front seat space seemed bigger than in the Boxter, with the windshield frame at a bigger distance. It's been a while since I was in a Boxter, though.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM
You forgot one more advantage for the Boxster, the privilege of joining the largest and best auto club in the world: PCA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs Z4 -- Which to get?