Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can paddle shifter be installed in a 2007 Automatic Porsche Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Just as a note, I believe the first link to the instructions are for retrofitting 9x7.2 PDK style paddle shift wheel onto a 9x7.1 Tiptronic.... This is far more complicated and expensive than grafting the Mercedes AMG paddles onto an existing (or spare same generation) steering wheel.

I recently hacked the AMG paddles onto my 2008 CS Tip, couldn't be happier!

Here's a re-post of a rennlist post I did about the process:

--------
Background:

I've owned several Porsche's in the past, always stick shift. When I picked up a 2008 Cayman S last year, it was the first Porsche I owned without a manual transmission... I wanted a car my wife could drive more easily and maybe even get her out for a DE. Yup, would have rather had a Paddle-PDK, but the Cayman S Tip I found was a gorgeous car at a price significantly less than a 997.2 PDK would have run.

I'm pretty happy with the Tiptronic shift performance, especially when combined with Sport Chrono and a sprint-booster to remap the throttle, but the steering wheel buttons are (IMHO) a definite weak point. I like to drive it in full manual mode, and the thumb rockers are not great when you are hustling the Cayman through esses.

I looked at third party steering wheel paddle shift solutions, but I really wasn't looking to spend $1,000-$1,500 on a solution, so I decided to try it myself.

Still finishing the project, here is what I've done so far.

Current Car:
  • 2008 Cayman S Tiptronic, Sport-chrono, Sprint Booster throttle remapper.
  • 'Sport' (round airbag) steering wheel
Parts Used:
  • Mercedes AMG paddle shifters, part 1712670046. ~$115-$130 from OEM Mercedes parts resellers
  • Spare Porsche Sport Steering wheel. You would use a non-sport triangular-airbag wheel if that's what you already have. You could also switch from round to triangular or vice versa, but you will need to source a replacement airbag as well. The other advantage of buying this spare wheel is it came with the standard filler plates on the front instead of the tiptronic rockers. Those little plastic pieces are about $70 each from Porsche...

Modification, Physical. General Steps:
  • Make a paper template the size of the recessed portion of the paddle shift.
  • Decide exactly where you want to place the paddle shift and mark the wheel.
  • Decide exactly where you want to place the paddle shift and mark the wheel. (yes, make really sure it's where you want it)
  • Cut the leather/vinyl covering around where you want to recess the steering wheel with razor knife.
  • Trim away the rubbery foam under the leather. I started with a razor knife, but then found that a dremel with a carving bit worked really well, faster and easy to control.
  • Go slowly and carefully. remove the foam down to the metal core of the steering wheel. Keep test fitting the paddle.
  • There is a mounting hole in the AMG paddle, but it didn't seem to be threaded. I tapped it with a M4x.7 tap for a M4 bolt.
  • Mark/drill a hole through the metal support for the mounting bolt.
  • Mark/drill a second hole through the metal support to feed the wires through. Location isn't critical, but make sure it won't interfere with anything else.
  • Continue test fitting/trimming, and finally mount the paddle with a M4 bolt.

Modification, Wiring:
Mechanical portion completed, figured out the wiring to interface with the existing harness, soldered in the new switches and swapped the paddle wheel into the car.

In a word, awesome!

The paddle shifts look and work like they were put there by the factory (as they should have been). Flawless operation. Total investment under $250 including a spare steering wheel.

More pictures to follow...

New and old...

My chicken-scratches and a ohm-meter helped me figure out the correct wiring into the original wiring harness...
Red is downshift, white is upshift. Both connect momentarily to ground (black) for shift operation.

Soldered and shrink-tubed...

[TBD]
Photos:

Before:

Half completed:

Surgery:

Installed pictures...

Also got a chance to finally clean up my engine a bit and install a HIP engine cover. Nice!

Last edited by pfbz; 12-06-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Just to add that when I first picked the the CS (my first non-stick Porsche), I HATED the tip in certain driving situations, even with the sport-chrono option.

Two things transformed it for me:
  1. AMG paddle shift conversion, less than $250 (DIY) including the cost of a spare ebay wheel.

2. Sprint-Booster throttle remapper. Yes, I know the sprint-booster is thought by many to be snake-oil, but they really fix the throttle response and downshift issues with a tip. If you don't believe me, try one for yourself... Amazon has a great return policy, but I'll pretty much guarantee you will want to keep it!

Now, in auto it pulls away from a stoplight with authority and blips right down to first without having to floor it, and in full manual I can slap off lightning fast upshifts and downshifts without having to feel around for the silly thumb rockers and keep my hands frozen in a single position. It's also great for quickly putting the tip into temporary manual mode with a quick paddle downshift.

Not quite as awesome as a PDK setup, but light-years better than the default tiptronic setup.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-06-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Robert Pettigrew is on a distinguished road
Audi shift paddles

Originally Posted by pfbz
Just to add that when I first picked the the CS (my first non-stick Porsche), I HATED the tip in certain driving situations, even with the sport-chrono option.

Two things transformed it for me:
  1. AMG paddle shift conversion, less than $250 (DIY) including the cost of a spare ebay wheel.

2. Sprint-Booster throttle remapper. Yes, I know the sprint-booster is thought by many to be snake-oil, but they really fix the throttle response and downshift issues with a tip. If you don't believe me, try one for yourself... Amazon has a great return policy, but I'll pretty much guarantee you will want to keep it!

Now, in auto it pulls away from a stoplight with authority and blips right down to first without having to floor it, and in full manual I can slap off lightning fast upshifts and downshifts without having to feel around for the silly thumb rockers and keep my hands frozen in a single position. It's also great for quickly putting the tip into temporary manual mode with a quick paddle downshift.

Not quite as awesome as a PDK setup, but light-years better than the default tiptronic setup.
Hi, I just bought a 2005 Boxster, with Tip. Blue top and interior over white. My first P car! I had an Audi A3 with the DSG, and I like the paddles better than the Mercedes ones. Any reason why they wouldn't work if I wanted to do this mod?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Thom Morrow will become famous soon enough
So... When will you be building me one of these? I really don't like the up/down on my 08s. Yours looks amazing!.