Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can paddle shifter be installed in a 2007 Automatic Porsche Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:58 PM
procka is on a distinguished road
Can paddle shifter be installed in a 2007 Automatic Porsche Cayman?

I'm looking into purchasing a 2007 Porsche Cayman S (automatic). I love paddle shifters, but since it's automatic, I thought it couldn't be done. I know there's a lot of automatic cars these days with paddle shifter, I don't know their significance or the main purpose of them, but I would really love to start learning if it's possible to have one in an automatic under normal conditions. Thanks!

PS: I don't know much about transmissions.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
You might try a Search on this general subsection as it was discussed quite some while ago. At one point at least one dealer was offering this but dropped it as some cars did not function properly. The exact problem was never explained. Also, there is- or was - an aftermarket steering wheel with paddles that fits these cars. You lose your driver's air bag and I did not find the look appealing.

Good luck

JR

Old 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM
kennyvb is on a distinguished road
There's a walk-through on Planet 9

Old 10-05-2015, 05:07 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
I just spend some time digging around on Planet 9 but found nothing. If anyone has a link I am curious what transpired.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM
kennyvb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by john rice
I just spend some time digging around on Planet 9 but found nothing. If anyone has a link I am curious what transpired.
Here you go:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...heel-swap.html

Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Kennyvb: THANKS for the link. Great tech information. So good I could be tempted to do this on my wife's Boxster.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
nismopowered is on a distinguished road
I did it. Easy. Used the Mercedes paddles. Doesn't change anything but still!

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 12:37 PM
nismopowered :
You do realize you are making anyone with a Tip crazy by posting that with no info on how to accomplish this, what parts, etc? !! Any info at all? It certainly gets our attention. [I never in my life would have thought I would be discussing, or enjoying, a Tip! These can be so much better than people realize. :-> ]

Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Ok. Ok. I found the info on a uk site. I'll try to find the part number. Basically pull the airbag and steering wheel. Mark the back of the wheel using the paddles as a template. Cut out the plastic on the back and drill one hole for the wires and one for the mounting screw. Mount paddles and wire as the attached image says.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Sorry. Here it is

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Here's the part number and a pic with the airbag out.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Sorry. Having trouble tonight!

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 PM
And the mounting!

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:30 PM
ninsomopowered:
A big THANK YOU. Even if I never do it, it is very interesting and !!!!!
JR

Old 10-12-2015, 10:25 PM
It doesn't really do anything besides a feeling. I always hated the tip buttons. I had hit them on accident at times and even in drive they will lock the gear for a bit. The paddles are cute. Up in the hills I like the ability to keep it in the gear I want. But honestly the tip will hold gears pretty well on its own to me. Some times I upside just so it am doesn't hold the gear as long. I would link to the site I found the info on but I don't remember, so the credit goes to somebody in the UK. I do like that the Mercedes paddles are metal not plastic. They have a nice feel and match the interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can paddle shifter be installed in a 2007 Automatic Porsche Cayman?