Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded my 911 for a Boxster ... Impressions on my last 3 P-cars ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Ion
Ion is on a distinguished road
Traded my 911 for a Boxster ... Impressions on my last 3 P-cars ...

I recently picked up a 2012 Boxster S Black Edition with 19,500 miles (shown at the bottom of this post). It has the same 320HP tune as the Boxster Spyder, same light weight 19" wheels, but retains the electric top. It has PCM 3, cornering xenon lights, rain sensing wipers and a slew of other standard options in this trim. Mine also came with heated multi-function steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats and PASM suspension.

This is my 3rd and favorite Porsche thus far. I had an 06 Boxster S, 08 C2S cab and now this 2012 Boxster S black edition. Here are my impressions on each from oldest to newest.

06 Boxster S - Amazing handling that makes you speed up for curves with confidence. Better handling and steering feel than 997 911, but slightly under powered compared to other cars I've had.

08 C2 S Cabriolet - Much faster in a straight line than the 06 Boxster S, and better handling than your average car but rear weight balance feels like a pendulum and steering felt overly light and too sensitive to minor input. Alignment and Michelin Super Sports helped, but steering still felt a bit light. I've read that the 4wd 911s have better steering feel but haven't had the opportunity to drive one. M97 engine made good peak power and sounded great, but throttle response was some what laggy and engine conveyed more vibrations through chassis. Cabin nav tech was out dated, but easy to use.

12 Boxster S Black Edition - Same mid engined handling as 06 Boxster S, same peak power to weight ratio as 997.1 S cab, but 9A1 DFI engine feels as smooth as butter and of course no IMS to worry about. It is eerily quiet and smooth. Revs climb very quickly and throttle response is much better. Clutch is much lighter than last two cars and shifts with manual transmission feel slicker. Steering has just the right amount of weight as well. This car feels like Goldilocks just right porridge. Also, it's worth noting that the PASM in this car feels different than that of my 997.1 S. The sport mode feels comparable, but the soft mode feels much more comfortable than that of the 997 soft mode or the standard suspension in my first Boxster. This makes it great for commutes. PASM also comes with stiffer sway bar and it lowers ride height 10mm, vs 20mm with Spyder suspension. PCM 3 is a big improvement. It retains same tactile controls but has improved graphics and option of using touch display input. I prefer the look of the older 987.1 head lights, but the cornering bi-xenon lights actually really help on a dark winding road at night. Between the balanced chassis, 9A1 engine and all the newer tech features, I feel like this car is a step up and a good value for the money right now, even though I've had a few people say "wow, that must be a big step backwards from a 911". I Just thought I'd share my experiences here for others who may be on the fence between an older 997.1 S or a newer 987.2 S as they are very similar in price now. Status aside, the 987.2 s is more rewarding to drive then the 997.1 s, hence why I traded. I'd be curious to try driving a 997.2 s sometime as I'm sure it has improved over the 997.1 s as well.

I've fully clay bared and detailed the car, added clear corners and put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (only tire I'll buy now). I also wrapped the spoiler in black carbon fiber as it had a scratch I couldn't buff out. I also replaced the clutch delay switch and I recently installed a custom fabricated phone mount on a panavise bracket (not shown here). Here are a few photos but you can find more in my user profile gallery. Thanks for reading.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:23 AM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the write up ! As someone who recently sold my 997.2S for a non P car and already regret the decision, I have been going going back and forth in my head between looking at 991's or maybe even keeping my Benz DD as is and looking at some boxster's ( black edition, GTS, or spyder). I often hear trash talk about boxster's but really I don't understand why. In my opinion, they are nice cars (both in looks and performance) Anyway, thanks again for the write up !

Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Ion
Originally Posted by the997dude
Thanks for the write up ! As someone who recently sold my 997.2S for a non P car and already regret the decision, I have been going going back and forth in my head between looking at 991's or maybe even keeping my Benz DD as is and looking at some boxster's ( black edition, GTS, or spyder). I often hear trash talk about boxster's but really I don't understand why. In my opinion, they are nice cars (both in looks and performance) Anyway, thanks again for the write up !
They are all great cars, but certainly keep an open mind and test-drive a few back to back if you can. I’ve read a number of stories where people went to the dealer with cash in hand to buy a 991, only to come home with a 981 S instead after driving both.

I traded my first Porsche for a Corvette. It was fun in a completely different way, but I sorely missed my Porsche so I know how you feel. I’m now on my 3rd Porsche and likely hooked for life.

We will be having our 1st kid soon so we picked up a 2016 Acura MDX for family duties. I flip cars frequently, but if I bought another 911 over a Boxster at this point, it will primarily be for the back seats. Baby seats won't fit in the back of a 911 though. Your kids have to be a few years old before you can safely use the the back seats with boosters. As such, I'll likely stick with mid-engined roadsters until then.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:31 AM
stekki is on a distinguished road
Nice write up, I currently aslo have a '12 Black Edition! I just ordered the Sport Chrono retrofit package.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Gripster is on a distinguished road
Great write up. I had to scratch the 911 itch first and love my 997.2. As a non-track guy, the Boxster has great appeal though. My driving is about enjoying back roads and, being in SoCal, enjoying a little sunshine too. I think that a Boxster would fit the bill nicely too.

Can you tell me what the clutch delay switch does?

Old 12-06-2015, 11:46 AM
sapphireblue is on a distinguished road
Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  120.2 KB

Just traded my 2014 Carrera 991 for the above 2016 Boxster S. Living in North Georgia I spend a lot of time driving thought the North Georgia Mountains. Having owned a 2011 Boxster Spyder I actually think the mid-engine Porsche's handled better in the mountains than the 911's do. Don't get me wrong the 991 is an awesome car but for the type of driving I do I prefer the mid-enginge cars.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Ion
Originally Posted by Gripster
Great write up. I had to scratch the 911 itch first and love my 997.2. As a non-track guy, the Boxster has great appeal though. My driving is about enjoying back roads and, being in SoCal, enjoying a little sunshine too. I think that a Boxster would fit the bill nicely too.

Can you tell me what the clutch delay switch does?
My new Boxster wasn't letting me start sometimes and it was telling me to depress the clutch when my foot was already all the way to the floor. After a few forum searches, it appears this is a very common issue. I also noticed in my old 997 service history that the clutch switch had been replaced twice by the prior owner.

There are actually two switches on the back of clutch pedal. The red switch deactivates the cruise control as you start to depress the clutch. The gray switch won’t let you start the car unless the clutch is all the way to the floor (when working).

The gray one frequently goes bad and has been redesigned a few times. You can bend the thin metal prong on the switch to get it to work for a little while, but the metal is weakened and will keep bending back and acting up until you eventually replace it. It was a $30 part from Suncoast that is easy to replace with a bit of contortionist skills and the right tool (a 10mm box wrench).

Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Ion
Originally Posted by blackbeauty
Just traded my 2014 Carrera 991 for the above 2016 Boxster S. Living in North Georgia I spend a lot of time driving thought the North Georgia Mountains. Having owned a 2011 Boxster Spyder I actually think the mid-engine Porsche's handled better in the mountains than the 911's do. Don't get me wrong the 991 is an awesome car but for the type of driving I do I prefer the mid-enginge cars.
Congrats on the new ride. Sapphire Blue Metallic is an amazing color that looks much better in person than on the configurator and the 981s have a very exotic look to them.

I feel like the rear engine 911s are still very planted through the curves when pushed, but the mid-engine Porsches take the curves at speed effortlessly such that they inspire much more driver confidence.

I'll bet the curvy mountain roads in Georgia are quite scenic in the fall and spring. We have some nice curvy mountain roads here in North Carolina that are great for driving as well.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ion
Congrats on the new ride. Sapphire Blue Metallic is an amazing color that looks much better in person than on the configurator and the 981s have a very exotic look to them.

I feel like the rear engine 911s are still very planted through the curves when pushed, but the mid-engine Porsches take the curves at speed effortlessly such that they inspire much more driver confidence.

I'll bet the curvy mountain roads in Georgia are quite scenic in the fall and spring. We have some nice curvy mountain roads here in North Carolina that are great for driving as well.
Thanks. It wasn't an easy decision. The 911 is such an iconic car and I loved driving it but the mid-engine's are much more fun to drive. I totally agree with your assessment of the 911 on the curves. They are planted but the mid-engines take the curves at speed effortlessly and do inspire more driver confidence.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM
jehu is on a distinguished road

Can you compare your new Boxster S to your old Spyder? I've been thinking of getting an '11 or '12 Spyder. I have a 996 GT3 and it's a great car but I've had it 5 years and am getting the itch for something else (wife will not let me have both). Thanks

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by jehu
Can you compare your new Boxster S to your old Spyder? I've been thinking of getting an '11 or '12 Spyder. I have a 996 GT3 and it's a great car but I've had it 5 years and am getting the itch for something else (wife will not let me have both). Thanks
Haven't driven a Boxster S yet but I can tell you the Spyder is an amazing car to drive. Its lighter and slightly lower with a sport suspension. It corners like a go-cart. The reason I traded it for the 991 was it had sport bucket seats which my wife hated. Great for spirited driving but a pain in butt to get in and out. The seat is set in a racing position and the only adjustment is forward and back. If you can get one without the sport bucket seats you might be happier.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !

I just moved to Georgia and would love some recommendations on driving routes! I'll be living in Kennesaw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.