Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

limited slip differntial for road use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 AM
damon is on a distinguished road
limited slip differntial for road use?

Ive got a base 99 boxster and was wondering if I should fit in an LSD. I never track the car, it is used only on public roads. Was interested to see if anyone has any experience with LSD's and what advantages,if any, will there be in having one fitted for normal street driving.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon
Ive got a base 99 boxster and was wondering if I should fit in an LSD. I never track the car, it is used only on public roads. Was interested to see if anyone has any experience with LSD's and what advantages,if any, will there be in having one fitted for normal street driving.
None of my Porsches have had LSD but a few of my other cars: Mustang GT, Camaro Z28, GTO, have had LSD. Frankly on the street under normal operation there's no real benefit.

And I dare say for a stock LSD setup it is probably set up so loose that there is not much benefit to be had. And the LSD feature goes away, diminishes in effectiveness, with miles.

For normal street driving I would not turn down a car with LSD fitted but for normal street driving I would not go to the expense of fitting a car with LSD that didn't come with it.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
caymanR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Macster
...Frankly on the street under normal operation there's no real benefit.

...but for normal street driving I would not go to the expense of fitting a car with LSD that didn't come with it.
I agree w/ the above quote.
I have ridden in a car (on track) with a torque vectoring differential and it was a noticeable improvement. Even that might be unnecessary in typical daily driving.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Daily: no. Tracking: yes

djcooper@rennkit.com